New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...   Next Page Last Page

The short 'flicks' and site link sharing thread

Conferences ::  Garbage Pod ::  Messages in The short 'flicks' and site link sharing thread
Created on 6.7.2011 at 01:04 Views: 94338 Replies: 237
RE: The short 'flicks' and site link sharing thread
Posted Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 18:51 NEW

Incubus - <3
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxPcmi1U25g[/quote]

Levellers - Exodus

Freeborn Blog: Harnessing the scientific method for Social & Environmental Sustainability

Posted Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 18:53 NEW

Ooops, i meant to type [/youtube] not "Quote"...D'oh! Rolling Eyes

<3

Freeborn Blog: Harnessing the scientific method for Social & Environmental Sustainability

Posted Tuesday, September 6, 2011 at 21:18 NEW

A show I used to LOVE as a child. Watched it every week, religiously!! They don't make kids TV like this any more Sad

[edit]
Is the little boy young Rimmer? He sounds like him. Maybe I'll IMDB him!

[edit]
No it isn't... but he definitely sounds like him!

"I give full permission for anybody to fart and laugh at my funeral." - Mrs. Yeckel, April 2012

www email
Edited 6.9.2011 21:51
Posted Thursday, September 8, 2011 at 18:31 NEW

I came across this gut on youtube this morning. This is an original track he wrote. A beautifully heartfelt song. i had tears in my eyes when i first heard this, such a powerful and quite lovely song though. Hope you guys and gals like it too Smile

Edit;
Additional: ...This is the real "ish"...Don't get it sdrawkcab oy. Very Happy

Edited 8.9.2011 18:46
Posted Friday, September 16, 2011 at 21:33 NEW

Very Wise little fella that Yoda Smile

Edited 16.9.2011 21:33
Posted Friday, November 25, 2011 at 11:39 NEW

This is the best feast bar none!

Posted Friday, November 25, 2011 at 22:33 NEW

This was doing the round a few weeks ago forgot this thread was still going.
Watch it in youtube website full screen 720p, turn off the lights in the room awe at the wonder, excitement and... wonder...

Posted Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 08:21 NEW

Outstanding video by Evelyn Evelyn (the side project of Amanda "Out of the Dresden Dolls And Also Neil Gaiman's Wife" Palmer). Initially it's simple charming enough, until you suddenly start to wonder... "Wait... how DID they do that animation?"

Seb
Grant Naylor Administrator

www.reddwarf.co.uk

Posted Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 07:27 NEW

So who remembers this little piece of nostalgia?. I just finished watching this on youtube. Next up is another 'Look and read' story, 'Dark towers'. I used to love watching these at school. Smile

Edited 27.11.2011 07:29
Posted Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 12:42 NEW

Freeborn Leveller. aka The Veggie Vamp wrote:

So who remembers this little piece of nostalgia?. I just finished watching this on youtube. Next up is another 'Look and read' story, 'Dark towers'. I used to love watching these at school. Smile

I so remember these!Very Happy And I remember Dark Towers, and I'm sure there was another one about a peregrine falcon being nabbed by some crook named Mr Turnbull (I remember the name because it was part of the story).

I'm sure I no longer need any of that information. The sooner we replace our fallible organic memories with electronic ones so I can delete some of this dross from my childhood, the better. Then I might have room up there to learn astro-navigation and Esperanto.

Posted Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 16:22 NEW

Paul Taylor wrote:

Freeborn Leveller. aka The Veggie Vamp wrote:

I so remember these!Very Happy And I remember Dark Towers, and I'm sure there was another one about a peregrine falcon being nabbed by some crook named Mr Turnbull (I remember the name because it was part of the story).

Hmm, now you mention it i can vaguly remember something about a falcon too, i think. It does seem to ring a bell...then again that ringing may have something to do with being exposed to too much loud music in my younger years..Smile

But it's the two stories i mentioned i remember most vividly (the boy from space and Dark towers). I seem to remember something about a fairground and two characters getting stuck atop the big wheel too...but that may be in Dark towers at some point too..either way, it's a nice little trip down nostalgia avenue..includes some very fine acting too...well, okay maybe not, but certainly no worse than good old Adric from classic Doctor who.. Wink

Quote:

I'm sure I no longer need any of that information. The sooner we replace our fallible organic memories with electronic ones so I can delete some of this dross from my childhood, the better. Then I might have room up there to learn astro-navigation and Esperanto.

Ah come now, there is always space for learning astro-navigation Smile. You're on your own regarding the electronic memory replacement and memory deletion thing though...although, on second thoughts it would be nice to have all the Red Dwarf episodes and novels erased from my memory, so i could enjoy them for the first time again. Those and the Agatha Christie novels of course. Wink.

Edited 27.11.2011 16:23
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 20:17 NEW

Orphan songs for Xmas No.2, 2012!
Purchase power to the people!

Download tracks by Orphansongs for free here @www.orphansongs.com
"...but never mind that tot, please send donations of at least £13.14 p to > www.illuninatrix.com

Thankyou for your cooporation. And remember, folks;

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he may potentially eat all the fish you might have caught yourself, before possibly making a profit on them.

Sell a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you've lost a paying customer.

If you sell a man a cheap home made dvd (about fish) for £19.99...then you're likely over charging him in order to compensate for your struggling business within a competitive market. Tell a man the Oxfam shop up the road can sell him the same dvd for £3 and you lose a sale, yet gain respect from a new found friend - whilst co-directing money to people much less fortunate than yourself. ...BUT, you will then go out of business if this kind of helpful, ethical human behavior continues.

Give a starving man a gun and he may rob a bank, give a man a bank and he may rob the world.

Welcome to the monetary incentive system... Have a nice day now ... Twisted Evil *engage innocent smilie mode*

Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 10:15 NEW

This is the funniest thing everLaughingLaughingLaughing

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 10:15 NEW

Paradise or Oblivion:

A new independent documentary created by The Venus Project. This film focuses on the root causes of our cultural, social and systemic value disorders and detrimental symptoms caused by our current established system. It touches on how we can maintain a dynamic and holistic equilibrium between humanity, the Earth and technology, via the gradual social and technical transition into a new socio-economic system, one of which is updated to present-day knowledge.

This free-to-watch or download 48 minute documentary concisely introduces the culmination of social engineer, futurist, inventor and industrial designer Jacque Fresco's work, and viable solutions for the future: The integration of the best of science and technology into a comprehensive plan for a new society based on human and environmental concern. It is a global vision of hope for the future of humankind in our technological age.

It also features a lovely visual (partially animated) presentation detailing one of Jacque's now more well known future city designs, the Recourse based economy designed and intergrated circular city systems, amoung others.

The film details the need to outgrow the dated and inefficient methods of politics, law, business, or any other "establishment" notions of human affairs, and rather proposes to use the methods of science, combined with high technology, to provide for the needs of all the world's people. It is not based on the subjective and bias opinions of the political and financial elite or on illusionary so-called 'democracies', but on maintaining a dynamic equilibrium with the planet that could ultimately provide abundance and a high standard of living for all people.

It also introduces the viewer to a more appropriate value system that would be required to enable this caring and holistic approach to benefit human civilization. This alternative surpasses the need for a monetary-based, controlled, and scarcity-oriented environment, which we find ourselves in today.

Edited 5.4.2012 11:05
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 12:22 NEW

I can't believe I had never seen this all the way through before last night, 'tis a wonderful open debate indeed, featuring the Archbishop John Onaiyekan, Christopher Hitchens (RIP), Ann Widdecome and Stephen Fry ( this vid also includes the uncut audience Q&A session, never since repeated by the bbc). My major complaint about this confrence is that it's way too short!

Now, I realise this may be a touchy subject for some, but personally I feel it's a very important issue. In general I don't tend to debate secular religion much nowadays (for various reasons of which I wont go into right now), and I want to make it clear that I firmly believe in diversity, individuality and the right to ones personal spiritual beliefs (established or otherwise), and the right to practice it....however, It's the established and hence politicalised intutution of religion that I still very much take issue with. The Catholic faith in particular is one that I must say has caused me much concern over the years, as I feel it is perhaps one of the few faiths of which was initially given birth to with somewhat of a hidden dark side, inherent from the beginning (perhaps i'm wrong about that, but this is what I feel based on my personal research over the years).

Now, obviously that's not to say that I believe all people who call themselves Catholic or have been brought up as Catholics are inherently evil, or that all catholic priests are 'devilish' conspiracists and peadophiles. I'm sure there are many good intentioned people who genuinely believe the Catholic faith is inherently one of love and honor (much like a large portion of brave young soldiers (who are all, as individuals muchly respected by myself) and members of the public still believe that the armed forces and/or the institution of 'war' to be one of honor, protection and heroics at this time)

On the 'side' speaking out against the Catholic church are Christopher Hitchins and Stephen Fry. I didn't personally always agree with Mr.Higgins' style of debate or arguments (in my opinion he attempts to lead the audience a little, in a way I don't personally appreciate...allthough essentially I agree with what he's saying for the most part)

Stephen Fry on the other hand (from 21:17 mins), well...put simply, yeah!,'what he said' Smile ...is basically my own view condenced into a much more concise, less rambly and wonderfully well presented manner (I'm a fan of Mr.Fry for many ecclectic reasons, but this is what he does best in my view, and he should do much more of it!...lectures on important social and environmental issues I mean) .

As for the speakers debating on behalf of "The Catholic church being a force for good in the world"...well,.actually it's probably best I leave that to individuals to decide for themselves...although I will say this; were I to attempt to 'release' one from what I believe to be their somewhat dangerous, indoctrinated Catholic conditioning/education (to put it politely), then I would show them this equally ballanced debate, as I personally feel all four speakers do a great job of showing the catholic faith for what I feel it really is and always has been. Ann Wittecombe is especially apt at showing such a classic cultist, indoctrinated mantality/learned-self preservating behaviour (knowingly or unknowingly) inherent in the Catholic faith. There's a wonderful piece of classic cult status quo bias preservation debate and typical question avoidence at around 47 mins by Ann and John too.

...and now, in the words of Neil Old...your thoughts?...Smile

Disclaimer: If there are any Catholics reading this, I honestly don't mean any personal offence to you as an individual, but I do feel The Catholic faith (esepecially, but amoung others) seriously needs to be revised at this point.

We must all ('religious', 'spiritual' and 'athiest' alike) learn to question our own enviromental/social conditioning and learned values (and don't just take my word for anything either!)...This is not an easy thing to do, and I speak from personal experience here, but it's imperitive to our healthy evolution and survival as a species on this planet that we bridge the differences between our anchient traditional values and chosen ways of life...and that we quesion everything...even what we believe to be acodemic and factual history litaracy.

Edited 11.4.2012 12:24
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 18:01 NEW

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 18:04 NEW

backtoreality wrote:

That's a great video.

BLUEY

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 00:26 NEW

"The mark of a true genius is the ability to hold two seemingly contradictory ideas in mind at once."

RIP Red Dwarf

@simulant37

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 02:05 NEW

simulant37 wrote:

That's a stunning video, Simulant. Most enjoyable. Hadn't seen that one before either. Thanks for sharing Smile

Interesting (and somewhat disparing) discussion in the comments section though. One of which I wont be getting involved in, wouldn't know where to start,..Ooooor would I?.."Outside of the status quo bias belief system (of the time period) it has now become clear that The Jesus character (as written in the Bible) was quite likely based on/'borrowed from' elements of the stories about many, many other fake characters that came before him, such as Mithras", perhaps?..Wink

Edited 17.4.2012 02:07
Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 02:34 NEW

Greening The Desert. The first part of a half hour film which follows Nadia and Geoff Lawton of The Permaculture Movement (and specifically of The Permaculture Research Institute of Austrailia) on their project in the Jordanian desert, and beyond. Deeming whole peoples self sustainable and healthy by working with the laws of nature via inteligent resource management, logical companion planting and basic (extremely cheap) technologies such as $5 Solar cookers (in fact even more basic cookers can be made from recycled cardboard and foil from cigarette packets)

This is what I genuinely plan to be doing myself in a few years time...'It's my plan, I planned it' Smile
The Revolution is Now.

Edited 17.4.2012 02:36
New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...   Next Page Last Page
Subscription Options ?Click for an full explanation of subscription options.
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 284 users online right now, and 1 user in chat.