New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3   Next Page Last Page

RD convention in June - genuine?

Conferences ::  Fan Club ::  Messages in RD convention in June - genuine?
Created on 10.5.2009 at 18:39 Views: 7948 Replies: 43
RD convention in June - genuine?
Posted Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 18:39 NEW

Just stumbled across this:

http://massiveevents.co.uk/betterthanlife/

Is this genuine? I did read something on here about a fake convention...Shocked

Edited 10.5.2009 18:41
RE: RD convention in June - genuine?
Posted Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 18:56 NEW

This is a 100% unofficial convention, organised by a group called Massive Events. In fact, this is a news post from the main site around the time it first cropped up:

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2009/01/30/please-note/index.cfm

There was an attempt to run one last year, but their registrations were so dire they had to cancel. My personal warning is to stay well clear.

Posted Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:02 NEW

They make it sound like the entire cast are coming! I bet they're not. Checked out the messageboads and everyone is so excited about going. Feel sorry for them if the cast don't turn up - and who bets they will? Not me!

Posted Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:28 NEW

Hopefully it's for real - though as someone who's spent most of my life in/near Bedford, it's just not normal for something that exciting to happen around here!! I'm tempted to go, but having read this thread am now nervous about spending £50 or more if the event might be a ripoff and not offer everything that's promised.

~*~ "is my tiara on straight?" asked the self-appointed Geek Goddess ~*~
(and maybe I'm such a c**p dancer 'cause I'm so offbeat)
p.s. my favourite deadline is 'whenever' Wink

email
Posted Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:41 NEW

How can anyone post things saying this event wont happen, be careful what you write.
Massive Events are a sister company of Showmasters who have successfully been organising signing events (Collectormanias) for many years , and had Craig at a recent Glasgow event which he seemed to thoroughly enjoy.
Last years Dwarf event that someone posted was a last minute thought(few weeks to prepare) and after consideration was cancelled to prepare for this one, so if you are true fans then look at the prices and book your ticket as it is going to be one fun event.
I never understand negative postings , bit childish tbh

Posted Friday, May 22, 2009 at 13:39 NEW

macmac wrote:

How can anyone post things saying this event wont happen, be careful what you write.

The last one didn't happen. Nobody posted that this one wouldn't. So who are you warning?

macmac wrote:

so if you are true fans then look at the prices and book your ticket as it is going to be one fun event.

As is calling to arms the 'true fans', as if somehow not agreeing with an unofficial event makes one a lesser fan.

But it's nowhere near as bad as joining a forum to shill that unofficial convention while criticising the regular posters.

I used to work here, y'know...

Edited 22.5.2009 14:08
Posted Friday, May 22, 2009 at 13:54 NEW

I joined for that main reason, that as a guest and fan I was reading some posts that didnt seem fair.
Most signings and events nowadays for shows are unofficial so its no different
Craig was in Glasgow and was great fun to meet and he enjoyed it, and this was run by the same company .

Edited 22.5.2009 14:44
Posted Friday, May 22, 2009 at 21:11 NEW

Andrew, do you know whether or not any of the cast are actually confirmed to appear at this event.

email
Posted Friday, May 22, 2009 at 21:18 NEW

joe_mills wrote:

Andrew, do you know whether or not any of the cast are actually confirmed to appear at this event.

The cast are free to attend any event they like - that's not something GNP would have any control over.

I have no reason to doubt that they have been booked.

I used to work here, y'know...

Posted Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 14:00 NEW

macmac wrote:

Last years Dwarf event that someone posted was a last minute thought(few weeks to prepare) and after consideration was cancelled to prepare for this one, so if you are true fans then look at the prices and book your ticket as it is going to be one fun event.

Wow it's interesting that as a 'fan and guest' you know so much about it.
I don't think that anyone here has accused this event of anything other than being unofficial. This is a fact and when there is an official GNP approved convention we don't want there to be confusion between the two.

'true fans'?!? Fans are free to do whatever they want, trying to guilt people into buying tickets by accusing them of not being 'true fans' if they don't attend your unofficial event is what I find to be a bit childish tbh.

And yes, I'd encourage people to read about your prices and exactly what you get for your money before making their decision too.

www email
Posted Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 21:53 NEW

macmac wrote:

if you are true fans then look at the prices and book your ticket as it is going to be one fun event.

I'm not a true fan, so I'm afraid I'm out. I'll just go the official one instead.

Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 11:45 NEW

Massive Events run the unofficial Torchwood conventions. These conventions (there have been 2 so far) were well reported at the time, with pictures and reviews of them in the official Torchwood magazines. All the main announced guests were there for those conventions.

I am going to the Red Dwarf convention, and have no reason to doubt that most of the announced guests will be there. I say most, because it's always possible that some won't due to unexpected work commitments. At the Torchwood conventions there were guest changes in the week beforehand. Fortunately none of the major guests pulled out - even John Barrowman was there who was the one I had doubts about due to his well known busy schedule, and although at the second convention one guest I particulary wanted to see dropped out, Massive Events managed to get one of the main Torchwood cast to come on his day off from the West End show he was doing at the last minute, so I was well pleased! I think there were 10 guests at the first TW convention and 8 or 9 at the second one.

I am a fan of many TV shows (though it's my partner who is the really big Red Dwarf fan), and have been to conventions run by various companies over the years. Unfortunately I have never been to yours, so can't comment on what Massive Events unofficial conventions are like compared to your official ones, but all I can say is that I've had a thoroughly good time at their events so far.

Oh, and for the person who commented about it being in Bedford, I used to go to the Blake's 7 Conventions that were held at the same hotel the Red Dwarf Con is being held at!

Edited 26.5.2009 12:44
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 13:34 NEW

It's impressive that you felt the need to register and post about this, as opposed to anything else related to Red Dwarf. If I were the suspicious sort, I'd almost think... nah, I'm just being daft.

Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 17:43 NEW

Seb Patrick wrote:

It's impressive that you felt the need to register and post about this, as opposed to anything else related to Red Dwarf. If I were the suspicious sort, I'd almost think... nah, I'm just being daft.

Someone posted a query on the Red Dwarf Convention forum on the Showmasters/Massive Events board which refered to this forum, so I decided to take a look to see what all the fuss was about. As I said, I'm a fan of various TV shows, but only have a passing interest in Red Dwarf. It's my partner who is the big Red Dwarf fan, hence the reason we are going to that convention.

And yes, having read what was being said on this forum I felt the need to register and post my views.

As I said, I have never attended the offical RD conventions, and for all I know it may be the best event ever, fantastic value, and the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have no intention of getting into an argument or debate over what is being said here, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and to attend/or not attend whatever convention they choose. I just thought that people might appreciate the view from someone who has actually attended Massive Events conventions.

And that is all I have to say on the matter

Posted Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 22:37 NEW

did anyone go to this? any gossip from there? surely people must be interested in it as some of the cast were there and stuff

I propose we hit it hard and we hit it fast, with a major and I mean major leaflet campaign.
The most romantic thing I've ever had down my ear is a Johnson's baby bud.

www.twitter.com/snorkmaiden85 please follow me Smile

Posted Monday, June 15, 2009 at 05:02 NEW

I'm interested in the cast, but not the event. The cast show up to various events such as Memorabilia and Collectormania too so it's not unprecedented. I know that Chris Barrie didn't attend so it didn't end up being a full cast event anyway.

Norm didn't show either.

www email
Posted Monday, June 15, 2009 at 05:04 NEW

It looks like Craig cancelled too...

www email
Posted Monday, June 15, 2009 at 18:24 NEW

The final line up was:

Robert Llewellyn
Danny John-Jules
Chloe Annette
Hattie Hayridge
Steve Wickham
Mac Macdonald

Norman Lovett cancelled a week beforehand
Chris Barrie cancelled a couple of days beforehand due to 'unexpected personal commitments'

And Craig Charles was on the schedule but cancelled on the Sunday morning of the convention 'due to illness'. I spoke to Hattie in the lift on Sunday on the way down to the hall and she was still expecting him to be there then! The con organizers added an extra cast photo shoot on the Sunday, and Danny did an hour extra stand up routine to cover.

I am sure other people will do full reports. I will say that despite not being a big RD fan (my partner is the fan). I had a pretty good time, and we have already booked for next years convention. Steve was interesting to talk to. Mac was hilarious, and Danny was a real trouper doing the extra stint (and as a fan of musical theatre I enjoyed his comments on that topic during the Q& A session and the times he broke into a brief bit of song & dance), and Robert hosting the 'Kryton factor' was a definite highlight.

BTW I mentioned the offical RD con to my partner. Don't know if we will be going to that as well

Edited 15.6.2009 18:34
Posted Monday, June 15, 2009 at 18:51 NEW

Hiya, hola, g'day. wotcha, aloha, kia ora, 'ello.
Heya guys - long time lurker, but I think amazingly, this is my first post. Okay, as a fan of RD since the beginning I can safely say that the convention in Bedford this last weekend was great depsite the cancellations with friendly guests, good planning and lots of likeminded people... mind you, any event that has the cast around is going to pique my interest these days.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the weekend and be more active in the forum threads from now on (if you'll have me), but for now I just wanted to relay one thing in terms of the RD Fan Club. I think the current committee/organisers of the Club missed a trick by not attending the event or just turning up with some flyers/posters as I know of many people who would have joined there and then (I know - 'cos I asked them!) over the weekend. Surely there are not THAT many repeat-subscribers on the Club's books to warrant sitting back and hoping fans simply join up, especially in these troubled financial times?!

Anyhow, I checked with the organisers and they would have been happy for the fanclub to be there - so it's just a thought to consider at least being there to hand out flyers at future events and shows rather than develop a "them and us" situation, which is terrible news for the 99% of fans who love the show and actors and not the kudos/competitive nature of fandom. Reading various blogs, forums and message boards these last few months I guess what I'm saying is, for the benefit of all fans please don't cut your noses off to spite your faces. Or something like that, hah! And if I'm waaaay off piste on this, then sorry. My bad.

Okay, enough rambling from me. Oh and I see that DJ is back this year and there seems to be some cool changes for the fan mag so rest assured I'm still a big believer in the efforts of the Club and so I'll be joining up later this week! Take it easy, Steve.
WinkSmile

www email
Posted Monday, June 15, 2009 at 19:45 NEW

Well, if the Better Than Life convention wasn't genuine or wasn't happening, that was a bloody good weekend I just dreamt. Very Happy

~*~ "is my tiara on straight?" asked the self-appointed Geek Goddess ~*~
(and maybe I'm such a c**p dancer 'cause I'm so offbeat)
p.s. my favourite deadline is 'whenever' Wink

email
New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3   Next Page Last Page
Subscription Options ?Click for an full explanation of subscription options.
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 523 users online right now, and 0 users in chat.
Registered users online: kry10, Melanie Hiscock, Harry, Strat-tastic, Bluey