New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3   Next Page Last Page

Red Dwarf conventions

Conferences ::  Fan Club ::  Messages in Red Dwarf conventions
Created on 29.12.2011 at 00:13 Views: 26641 Replies: 46
Red Dwarf conventions
Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 00:13 NEW

Do they do conventions any more?
When did they do the last one? Never been to one, only know about them because of a documentary on the series 4 DVD where Craig Charles mentioned them and seemed as though he couldn't stand them, lol. Sure I saw footage on a smeg-ups video years ago too.
With conventions do they do one-offs or do they tour?

RE: Red Dwarf conventions
Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 00:26 NEW

Amanda wrote:

Do they do conventions any more?
When did they do the last one? Never been to one, only know about them because of a documentary on the series 4 DVD where Craig Charles mentioned them and seemed as though he couldn't stand them, lol. Sure I saw footage on a smeg-ups video years ago too.
With conventions do they do one-offs or do they tour?

Yes, The Official Red Dwarf Fan Club organise and run them - I am one of the team members *waves* Hello!
The last one was in April this year, read this website's report HERE. They are one off events, starting on Friday evening and finishing on Sunday afternoon. I highly doubt that we will be organising one for 2012, it's much more likely to be early 2013 (post-RDX airing). Keep an eye on our Twitter feed and/or Facebook page (and of course the Friday news bulletins here on TOS) for updates as soon as we have them Smile

www email
Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 01:10 NEW

*Waves back* Hallooo!
Thanx for the response! Do the cast still go to these conventions?
And do you think you could pull some strings and get us one in the North East pwetty please? Wink

Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 01:41 NEW

Amanda wrote:

*Waves back* Hallooo!
Thanx for the response! Do the cast still go to these conventions?
And do you think you could pull some strings and get us one in the North East pwetty please? Wink

Yes, they do indeed. This year Doug, Chris, Craig, Danny and Hattie attended, as well as the excellent John Lenahan, Steven Wickham (GELF bride) and the now essential part of any DJ: The Model Unit boys. Unfortunately Robert had to drop out for various reasons but he still did his Q&A via Skype - he's a trooper!

I'm sorry, it's very unlikely that we'll arrange a DJ so far north Wink we have to make it accessible to as many people as possible... not to mention the cast! We tend to look for somewhere central with good transport links - the last 2 DJs have been held in Birmingham, the previous 3 were in Peterborough. Smile

www email
Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 11:30 NEW

Damn, worth a try, lol.
Peterborough seems to be a bit closer. How much do tickets go for?

Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 12:59 NEW

Amanda wrote:

Peterborough seems to be a bit closer.

Yeah, it's quite close.Wink Unfortunately, it's a dive.Sad

Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 20:22 NEW

Dive?

Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 21:10 NEW

Amanda wrote:

Dive?

A run-down area.

BLUEY

Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 22:19 NEW

Bluey wrote:

Amanda wrote:

Dive?

A run-down area.

You've been here, then.

Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 00:29 NEW

Paul Taylor wrote:

Bluey wrote:

Amanda wrote:

Dive?

A run-down area.

You've been here, then.

The hotel in Peterborough was actually alright, there were big grassy areas outside for people to sit out and it was quiet because it wasn't anywhere near the town centre. Unfortunately that same reason meant that it was a bit of a bugger for anyone not driving to get to and there were no nearby shops/takeaways.

www email
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 09:22 NEW

But the hotel has a bit of a daddy long legs problem Razz

email
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 17:39 NEW

Stephen Simpson wrote:

*shudder*....calculating to rebudget and include the family. I can't take that kind of a risk without my spider squashing hero, Mr. Y. Wink

Captain of the Fun Ship

Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 17:45 NEW

yeckel wrote:

Stephen Simpson wrote:

*shudder*....calculating to rebudget and include the family. I can't take that kind of a risk without my spider squashing hero, Mr. Y. Wink

Now, we've been through this. In this part of the Universe, daddy long-legs refers to the cranefly, a large but harmless flying insect which I think is in the same family as mosquitoes and gnats, but lacks their blood-sucking and disease spreading tendencies. Also, they tend to emerge in large numbers for a very short period of time, so in all likelihood that hotel would only have been infested by the blighters for a couple of days. Now chavs, on the other hand, are an all year round menace throughout the city.

EDIT For spelling 'menace' as 'manace'Shocked It's a minor thing, but I couldn't let it go.Smile

Edited 30.12.2011 18:29
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 17:54 NEW

I must admit i'd kinda' hoped there would be a convention during the airing of the new series next year. Although having one in the summer of 2013 would be awesome too.

I'm hoping for the Birmingham location personally (not that i have anything against Peterborough) as the location of the hotel itself just sounds a little more logical for reasons mentioned by Jo above...and then there's the slightly biased personal reason too from my point of view. As in it's an hour an a half less drive to Birmingham from where i live Wink

I would have nothing against having it in Peterborough through if the location of the hotel was closer to shops, restaurants and takaways though.

After attending the recording of the new series last Friday i'm now even more determined to get to the next convention now. And already have a few most excellent peeps to meet up with even if i end up going alone (which is still a posibility it would seem). It's certainly given me a taste for more Dwarfy interaction. And even more so because i have a feeling series X will not be the last we see of the boys from the dwarf Smile (which to be honest, as much as i liked BTE personally, wasn't a feeling i got back then, not to this extent at least)

Looking forward to finally joining in the DJ fun Smile

Freeborn Blog: Harnessing the scientific method for Social & Environmental concern

Edited 30.12.2011 17:55
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 18:01 NEW

Paul Taylor wrote:

yeckel wrote:

Stephen Simpson wrote:

Now, we've been through this. In this part of the Universe, daddy long-legs refers to the cranefly, a large but harmless flying insect which I think is in the same family as mosquitoes and gnats, but lacks their blood-sucking and disease spreading tendencies. Also, they tend to emerge in large numbers for a very short period of time, so in all likelihood that hotel would only have been infested by the blighters for a couple of days. Now chavs, on the other hand, are an all year round manace throughout the city.

You are right, of course! Sorry I just can't help being an American can I? We watched a Mythbusters episode last night about the "spider" (but not really a spider) version of a daddy long legs. It has me all shuddery and creepy crawly feeling again. The man put his arm in a chamber full of them!!!! Shocked....*faint*

Captain of the Fun Ship

Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 18:21 NEW

yeckel wrote:

You are right, of course! Sorry I just can't help being an American can I?

Well, I'm not convinced you're trying hard enough.Wink

yeckel wrote:

We watched a Mythbusters episode last night about the "spider" (but not really a spider) version of a daddy long legs. It has me all shuddery and creepy crawly feeling again. The man put his arm in a chamber full of them!!!! Shocked....*faint*

I'm a bit odd in that, although I have arachnophobia, harvestmen (the American daddy long-legs) don't bother me. I picked one up and chucked it out a few nights back, and it was one of the species that has particularly long middle pairs of legs that it sticks out sideways, all long and spindly, the sort of thing that should send my arachnophobia into overdrive. But then, cellar spiders don't especially bother me, either.

Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 19:22 NEW

I'd just like to clarify that I only mentioned Peterborough to give you an idea where the last few DJs have been held. We have no plans to return to Peterborough and the next DJ may not be in Birmingham either... but then again it might, we're undecided as yet. We're scouting venues at the moment.

www email
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 19:25 NEW

I think Nottingham would make a great location for a convention gathering...no particular reason... Rolling Eyes

Scuttercast- MP3 Version (a Red Dwarf podcast)

Enhanced version is just on iTunes...I think. I don't really sort that bit out...and can't be bothered to check.

Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 19:28 NEW

ori-STUDFARM wrote:

I think Nottingham would make a great location for a convention gathering...no particular reason... Rolling Eyes

Even though I live in Peterborough, I actually agree. Nottingham is nice. Gun crime aside.

Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 19:30 NEW

Well, it would keep people in the convention. Thats for sure!! Smile

Scuttercast- MP3 Version (a Red Dwarf podcast)

Enhanced version is just on iTunes...I think. I don't really sort that bit out...and can't be bothered to check.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3   Next Page Last Page
Subscription Options ?Click for an full explanation of subscription options.
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 686 users online right now, and 1 user in chat.
Registered users online: Seb P, MARKM1962, Bluey, Jo Sharples