New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3   Next Page Last Page

Red Dwarf conventions

Conferences ::  Fan Club ::  Messages in Red Dwarf conventions
Created on 29.12.2011 at 00:13 Views: 26716 Replies: 46
RE: Red Dwarf conventions
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 19:33 NEW

Paul Taylor wrote:

Also, they tend to emerge in large numbers for a very short period of time, so in all likelihood that hotel would only have been infested by the blighters for a couple of days.

Yes apparently it's a couple of weeks at the most... those 2 weeks just happened to coincide with the 3 DJs we held there each year!
(End of Aug 2005, end of Sept 2006 and 2007.)

www email
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 19:37 NEW

Jo Sharples wrote:

Yes apparently it's a couple of weeks at the most... those 2 weeks just happened to coincide with the 3 DJs we held there each year!
(End of Aug 2005, end of Sept 2006 and 2007.)

Maybe it has something to do with the cycles of the moon, so holding DJ at the beginning of a month could have proven beneficial? Hmm, maybe we should send Paul out to do some field research on the matter for future reference Wink

Disclaimer: the content of the attached post is strictly born from the opinion of the person posting it, and any fact stated should be clarified by the reader before taking it to be actual fact.

Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 23:45 NEW

Paul Taylor wrote:

yeckel wrote:

You are right, of course! Sorry I just can't help being an American can I?

Well, I'm not convinced you're trying hard enough.Wink

*sniffle* I guess this means you are going to increase my tea and crumpet rations by twenty fold and force me to listen to another 22 readings of the Importance of Being Earnest?

Surprised <---- sorry, I am in a bit of a mood today. Smile

Captain of the Fun Ship

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 22:39 NEW

Jo Sharples wrote:

I'd just like to clarify that I only mentioned Peterborough to give you an idea where the last few DJs have been held. We have no plans to return to Peterborough and the next DJ may not be in Birmingham either... but then again it might, we're undecided as yet. We're scouting venues at the moment.

In that case, please could you go a little further North? Very HappyWink

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 22:49 NEW

If you're scouting venues, I seriously recommend Northampton for accessibility, without being horrifically expensive or (too much of) a dump.

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 23:09 NEW

Leicester?

email
Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 23:13 NEW

Northampton?? That's further South than London, 90% of the UK wouldn't be able to get to it Sad

Leicester would do!! I'd have someone to stay with there Laughing

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 23:34 NEW

In what universe is Northampton south of London? Try 60 miles northeast...

Leicester would be good too!

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 23:39 NEW

Ah sorry, thinking of Southampton, haha Laughing

Leicester still has my thumbs up! Cool

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 23:41 NEW

Or better yet... Manchester!!

Can we set up a poll or something to see which your considered areas are better for most fans to get to?

Edited 2.1.2012 23:43
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 02:50 NEW

Honestly... no. As much as I appreciate your offer of input, most voters will vote for the area they live in or near, which doesn't help us, we know that everyone would prefer if DJ was on their doorstep... Unfortunately that isn't possible! I know that wherever we choose someone will be unhappy, so we have to choose based on a number of factors that I won't go into here, however one major thing is what we think is going to be best for the majority of attendees and the guests. I don't wish to sound harsh or ungrateful, but it's not our first picnic Wink we know what we're doing. Thank you very much for the offers though. Smile

www email
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 12:18 NEW

Freeborn Leveller - aka The Veggie Vamp wrote:

After attending the recording of the new series last Friday i'm now even more determined to get to the next convention now. And already have a few most excellent peeps to meet up with even if i end up going alone (which is still a posibility it would seem). It's certainly given me a taste for more Dwarfy interaction. And even more so because i have a feeling series X will not be the last we see of the boys from the dwarf Smile (which to be honest, as much as i liked BTE personally, wasn't a feeling i got back then, not to this extent at least)

Looking forward to finally joining in the DJ fun Smile

Ah Freeborn you should have taken me to the recording I would have been a sure bet of going to the DJ with you Very Happy

As for location the Holiday Inn in Birmingham works well for me as it is only a 40 min train journey and a 5 min walk from the station, though it didn't work so well for me getting home as I had to face the prospect of travelling back on the train with a giant can of leopard lager thankfully Mad Wolf took pity on me, THANKS AGAIN MW Very Happy

The only downside I see for the Birmingham location is for the people who have to travel there by car, the parking is rather expensive.

P.S. there is also a rather good comic book shop just round the corner of the hotel.

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 12:47 NEW

cloisterjd wrote:

P.S. there is also a rather good comic book shop just round the corner of the hotel.

Actually directly underneath the hotel, as I recall!

Seb
Grant Naylor Administrator

www.reddwarf.co.uk

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 13:57 NEW

Seb P wrote:

cloisterjd wrote:

Actually directly underneath the hotel, as I recall!

Indeed it is on the main road side of the hotel. If I wanted DJ to be near me I'd suggest Heathrow again Razz

email
Edited 3.1.2012 13:58
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 00:17 NEW

cloisterjd wrote:

Freeborn Leveller - aka The Veggie Vamp wrote:

After attending the recording of the new series last Friday i'm now even more determined to get to the next convention now. And already have a few most excellent peeps to meet up with even if i end up going alone (which is still a posibility it would seem). It's certainly given me a taste for more Dwarfy interaction. And even more so because i have a feeling series X will not be the last we see of the boys from the dwarf Smile (which to be honest, as much as i liked BTE personally, wasn't a feeling i got back then, not to this extent at least)

Looking forward to finally joining in the DJ fun Smile

Ah Freeborn you should have taken me to the recording I would have been a sure bet of going to the DJ with you Very Happy

Well, both Madwolf and yourself are still very much in the catagory of the afore mentioned most excellent peeps to meet up with Smile

Next time we gat the chance to apply for tickets i'll definately be applying for the full 5 tickets, two of which will have yours and Madwolf's name written on them (well, not literally of course, they only have one name written on them, but you know what i mean Smile )

Quote:

As for location the Holiday Inn in Birmingham works well for me as it is only a 40 min train journey and a 5 min walk from the station, though it didn't work so well for me getting home as I had to face the prospect of travelling back on the train with a giant can of leopard lager thankfully Mad Wolf took pity on me, THANKS AGAIN MW Very Happy

The only downside I see for the Birmingham location is for the people who have to travel there by car, the parking is rather expensive.

Sounds good to me Smile other than the expensive car parking of course. I'll have to look into that before deciding whether to rent a car or take the train. Since it lasts a few days the train may be the best option.

Freeborn Blog: Harnessing the scientific method for Social & Environmental concern

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 21:27 NEW

Well Mr Freeborn you aren't that far away from Cloister or me so if you can find your way to Lichfield or Stafford train station plenty of room in my car to go to a DJ. But if Cloister buys a big can of lager again there won't beVery Happy It was bigger than her 10 year old sonExclamation

I'm pleased you enjoyed the recording you really deserved a break in life - great memories of being in the audience for 3 episodes of series 7 and seeing bits of Pete 1/2 live.

F1 Smeghead formerly Madwolf
CEO Home for Retired Transvestite Werewolves

email
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 01:25 NEW

Jo Sharples wrote:

Honestly... no. As much as I appreciate your offer of input, most voters will vote for the area they live in or near, which doesn't help us, we know that everyone would prefer if DJ was on their doorstep... Unfortunately that isn't possible! I know that wherever we choose someone will be unhappy, so we have to choose based on a number of factors that I won't go into here, however one major thing is what we think is going to be best for the majority of attendees and the guests. I don't wish to sound harsh or ungrateful, but it's not our first picnic Wink we know what we're doing. Thank you very much for the offers though. Smile

I travelled to last 2 conventions in Birmingham from North-East of scotland and got down very easily (and not too expensive either!) Birmingham HI was great that it was 5 mins from train station, right in city centre and in staggering distance of a kebab shop to go to after the saturday night party!! We would consider driving down ut knew HI didnt have parking.

Even if it was further south i'd still goto next one...best weekend you'll ever have and great company, fab host (thanks 2 all TORDFC crew) and guarentee to leave with many new friends Roll on the next DJ!!!!RazzRazzRazzRazz

Edited 7.1.2012 01:35
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 03:26 NEW

Mad Wolf wrote:

Well Mr Freeborn you aren't that far away from Cloister or me so if you can find your way to Lichfield or Stafford train station plenty of room in my car to go to a DJ. But if Cloister buys a big can of lager again there won't beVery Happy It was bigger than her 10 year old sonExclamation

I'm pleased you enjoyed the recording you really deserved a break in life - great memories of being in the audience for 3 episodes of series 7 and seeing bits of Pete 1/2 live.

Thanks. Sounds like a plan Smile And yep i've heared all about the giant can of leapard larger Smile

It was great seeing the show recorded. A childhood dream come true really, and not something i thought i'd ever find myself experiencing Smile I'd love to get the chance to go again some day. Would definately be nice to finally meat up with you and Cloister too.

Sorry for not replying to your email yet, it's nothing personal, i've seriosly dropped the ball all around in that sense recently. Just been feeling a bit disconnected and...blaugh is all. I'm sure i'll be back on form in no time at all though Smile

Freeborn Blog: Harnessing the scientific method for Social & Environmental concern

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 21:36 NEW

How much are tickets normally?

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 16:16 NEW

[quote Sorry for not replying to your email yet, it's nothing personal, i've seriosly dropped the ball all around in that sense recently. Just been feeling a bit disconnected and...blaugh is all. I'm sure i'll be back on form in no time at all though Smile[/quote]

No problems, my life doesn't have too much time for home e-mails eitherRolling Eyes I promised an e-mail 10 days ago to a work colleague/friend in Greece. I spend most of my working days writing long, complicated technical e-mails so much prefer to text Just hoping DJ isn't the same weekend as the F1 @ Silverstone as I've already bought my 3 day tickets for that. Cloister will not be happy if I miss it again.Sad

F1 Smeghead formerly Madwolf
CEO Home for Retired Transvestite Werewolves

email
New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3   Next Page Last Page
Subscription Options ?Click for an full explanation of subscription options.
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 241 users online right now, and 0 users in chat.
Registered users online: The New And Improved Fandango, sgtsmileyuk