New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1   Next Page Last Page

Easter Egg Hunt

Conferences ::  reddwarf.co.uk ::  Messages in Easter Egg Hunt
Created on 6.4.2012 at 14:35 Views: 9789 Replies: 17
Easter Egg Hunt
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 14:35 NEW

Just a quick point of note. I liked the article about hidden easter eggs but there are several more from BTE that could be potentially added, especially with regards to Kochanski.

Aside from the less subtle foreshadowing of her appearance in the rest of the special my favourite piece was the DVD poster advertising "The Lady with a Face" as "coming soon".

I took this to be a nod to the first Red Dwarf Novel where Kochanski is first introduced and we read something along the lines of "The first thing that Lister noticed about Kochanski was that she had a face".

I was wondering if anyone can clarify if it is indeed Chloe behind the mask. The cast laugh about it on the DVD commentary but seemingly just for the oddness of the title. Nobody seems to get the reference...if indeed it is one.

RE: Easter Egg Hunt
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 15:26 NEW

It's not Chloë in the image, and it's not a reference. It was just a pre-cleared title the department had to hand at the last minute. That set and its dressings were a late scramble - hence the Dwarf-related, already-cleared titles which we might otherwise have avoided - and no references or foreshadowings were intended.

Interesting fact: The SFX magazine piece and all other mentions of Kochanski in the episodes were written for drafts that did not feature the character's return. Lister was meant to be haunted by her loss, those beats leading to Kryten's revelation towards the end. Those mentions were never meant to foreshadow her actual appearance, which was arrived at much later in the writing process.

Yes, I lurk.

I can also be heard banging on about the new series here.

I used to work here, y'know...

Edited 6.4.2012 15:28
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 18:33 NEW

Andrew wrote:

most the red dwarf chatter is from 32:00 onwards

Did someone say they wanted toast?

Man in the rubber mask audiobook - (written and read by robert llewellyn)- (most entertaining) Very Happy

email
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 20:11 NEW

Andrew wrote:

I found all of this fascinating. The Red Dwarf related stuff was interesting as a fan of the show, but ultimately there wasn't anything much in there new to us, although Andrew's positive feelings for the new series are encouraging. The discussion of sitcom and comedy from people so clearly fluent in its structure and development I found engrossing.

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 15:40 NEW

Andrew wrote:

The SFX magazine piece and all other mentions of Kochanski in the episodes were written for drafts that did not feature the character's return.

This is good trivia. How late in the day was Chloë Annett confirmed?

Quote:

Yes, I lurk.

It's a shame you don't post more often then!

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 16:01 NEW

jmc2000 wrote:

Andrew wrote:

The SFX magazine piece and all other mentions of Kochanski in the episodes were written for drafts that did not feature the character's return.

This is good trivia. How late in the day was Chloë Annett confirmed?

The addition to the script came after the January shoot on Coronation Street, but before the main shoot began. It followed a vague pitch of mine that Lister might not want to leave a world tailored to bring him joy. Never expected that idea to be what Doug came back with...and so thrilled by it. That's the writer/editor process working exactly as it should...leading to an idea that felt like it was meant to be there all along.

Chloë, like Mac and Norman, was - I believe - warned that this could happen. Sadly Mac's role never materialised, and as we know Norman put himself out of the running before the script was locked. (Per the above, that's a lock that occurred after shooting began!)

Edited 7.4.2012 19:08
Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 18:54 NEW

jmc2000 wrote:

It's a shame you don't post more often then!

Exactly!

Captain of the Fun Ship

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 23:22 NEW

Andrew wrote:

Chloë, like Mac and Norman, was - I believe - warned that this could happen. Sadly Mac's role never materialised, and as we know Norman put himself out of the running before the script was locked. (Per the above, that's a lock that occurred after shooting began!)

This is the first I've heard about Mac being informed that his character may possibly be returning for Back To Earth. I can't see how this might fit within the final script for BTE. What ideas were originally thrown around for his character that may have had Captain Holloster return?

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 00:14 NEW

A flashback?

I wonder whether they ever considered resolving the cliffhanger from series eight...

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 01:00 NEW

Dan Pendo wrote:

This is the first I've heard about Mac being informed that his character may possibly be returning for Back To Earth. I can't see how this might fit within the final script for BTE. What ideas were originally thrown around for his character that may have had Captain Holloster return?

That you can't see why it would fit might relate to the reasons it didn't happen...

Didn't say his character, though. This was about actor availability - you check that first then see where the writing goes. I think this is mentioned on the DVD commentary, not sure. But Doug did, I believe, have ideas that he could maybe play someone on Earth.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 15:33 NEW

Andrew wrote:

Didn't say his character, though. This was about actor availability - you check that first then see where the writing goes. I think this is mentioned on the DVD commentary, not sure. But Doug did, I believe, have ideas that he could maybe play someone on Earth.

That would have been interesting to see, if Earth was populated by actors who had appeared in Red Dwarf in the past. This could have allowed both Hattie and Norm the chance to appear, as well as others.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 16:21 NEW

I remember the blurb on the back of the fictional (and real) box of BtE stating "First the crew attempt to track down the actors who play them in the series and their metaphysical odyssey begins..."

Back To Earth Spoilers:

That often struck me as a tad inaccurate, since they only ever attempt to track down one actor - Craig Charles. Then again, the box blurb shouldn't spoil too much of the plot, (and it could be argued that the characters didn't know that they wouldn't need to track down anyone else, before hand) but I wonder if that was a hold-over from Doug's initial idea to include more actors as themselves.

It's probably a good idea that they didn't do that as while meeting Craig as himself (sort of) was a good gag, it could have gotten old quick if they'd chased all the others like that and, besides, would have required more stepping stones to lead them to the creator from a plot point of view where concision would serve better. (Unlike that run-on sentence. Wink )

If Mr. Naylor ever does a novel adaptation of BtE, I would be interested in reading it, though, as that medium provides licence to expand on things a bit more. Just check out what they did with Better than Life in the second novel...

Kryten: [SMUG MODE]I can't hang around here saving your necks all day, I think I'll make a start on that ironing.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 16:42 NEW

M'Aiden Ty-One wrote:

If Mr. Naylor ever does a novel adaptation of BtE, I would be interested in reading it, though, as that medium provides licence to expand on things a bit more. Just check out what they did with Better than Life in the second novel...

I think this is a good idea. Would love Doug to write another novel and I personally think expanding on BTE would be a good idea, although I do understand that I am in small minority who likes it.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 16:44 NEW

Dan Pendo wrote:

Andrew wrote:

That would have been interesting to see, if Earth was populated by actors who had appeared in Red Dwarf in the past. This could have allowed both Hattie and Norm the chance to appear, as well as others.

Mac could have been the driver of the bus. Hattie or Norm could have worked in cubicles somewhere, sitting down so only their heads showed.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 17:59 NEW

why make a silly script even sillier Shocked

Did someone say they wanted toast?

Man in the rubber mask audiobook - (written and read by robert llewellyn)- (most entertaining) Very Happy

email
Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 19:54 NEW

M'Aiden Ty-One wrote:

I remember the blurb on the back of the fictional (and real) box of BtE stating "First the crew attempt to track down the actors who play them in the series and their metaphysical odyssey begins..."

Back To Earth Spoilers:

That often struck me as a tad inaccurate, since they only ever attempt to track down one actor - Craig Charles....

Not really, it's more a case that he is the only one they can find. If you remember they go to the comic shop and try to get full cast info but are unsucessful. I believe they get Craig Charles's location from the guy at Nose World...or perhaps he's just easier to find.

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 13:02 NEW

bedfordfalls wrote:

Thanks for answering my specific questions. I appreciate it.

Well no, he didn't. But can you imagine!

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 12:59 NEW

Andrew wrote:

bedfordfalls wrote:

Thanks for answering my specific questions. I appreciate it.

Well no, he didn't. But can you imagine!

I can imagine people having busy lives and maybe wanting to revisit the thread and talk about it some more depth when they had a bit more time on their hands (more time than it took to quickly reply to M'aiden while glancing over the end commments before heading out to work). I can imagine they wanted to reply in full and say some nice things about someone and the involvement they had with an ending and a special that they very much enjoyed. I can imagine they were about to do all of these things when they came here only to have the disappointment of reading a sarcastic, uncalled for little snipe that sadly rather spoiled it.

And so, with that in mind, I'll just say thank you for the information anyway, Andrew. It was as informative and interesting as ever.

Edited 12.4.2012 13:02
New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1   Next Page Last Page
Subscription Options ?Click for an full explanation of subscription options.
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 565 users online right now, and 1 user in chat.