New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3   Next Page Last Page

Series 9 explanation...anyone? (possible spoilers)

Conferences ::  Red Dwarf on TV ::  Messages in Series 9 explanation...anyone? (possible spoilers)
Created on 15.4.2009 at 06:34 Views: 49428 Replies: 48
RE: Series 9 explanation...anyone? (possible spoilers)
Posted Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 09:02 NEW

The Return or Enter key is your friend. Please become more familiar with it. Then it would be a satisfying and wholesome read. Other than that, it's a pretty good stab at it. I'm sure there's already some fanfic out there putting together series 9.

J

Series 9 explanation...anyone? (possible spoilers)
Posted Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 11:21 NEW

Sorry about the spacing and paragraphs, I was writing it in a bit of a rush. I've broken it up a bit now and corrected a spelling errors, I've also added a bit about Lister's Appendix which I missed before. I hope it's easier to read now.

email
Edited 20.5.2009 13:27
Posted Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 14:49 NEW

Ah you don't want to go listening to me. I'm just a whiner. An internet whiner. Worst kind. But thanks.

I know what it's like when you've got loads of ideas trying to force their way to the surface all at the same time.

By that I mean I've seen it happen to someone else.

I like the ideas though. Very nice.

Posted Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 21:35 NEW

Beyonce Holes wrote:

Sometime in the past, Rimmer died and became a hologram again. OR the S8 Rimmer was replaced with the pre-S8 hologram Rimmer, who'd previously left to become Ace.

You don't "become" a hologram. It's not like dying and coming back as a ghost, where each ghost corresponds with one person who has died. The holograms in Red Dwarf are just computer simulations of people, rather than the people themselves. There's no practical reason why you couldn't get Holly to produce a hologram of someone who was still alive. You can also run multiple holograms of the same person at the same time (power allowing) as per Me^2.

All we know about Back to Earth is the fact that a) there doesn't seem to be a living Rimmer on Red Dwarf and b) there *is* a hologram Rimmer on Red Dwarf. That doesn't mean that one particular Rimmer died and "became" the hologram. For all we know, series eight Rimmer might have run off for some reason and still be at large in the universe somewhere. Wouldn't stop them firing up a hologram Rimmer to replace him. Maybe series eight Rimmer *did* die, but the hologram currently on Red Dwarf is a duplicate copy of the one that went off to be Ace, and so has memories of series one to seven.

Posted Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 07:47 NEW

Beyonce Holes wrote:

The only way we can get round the above is if we assume that when Holly booted up the new Rimmer hologram, he also updated his memories and physical data based on the records of Red Dwarf and Starbug, and that the nanos have somehow updated RD's software/hardware to allow it to run hardlight holograms.

this is probably what they will do with Rimmer...it makes the most sense to explain

email
Posted Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:51 NEW

he said he wants to make a series 10 and skip series 9 and make series 10 set after back to earth even though in back to earth it says series 10 is set before back to earth and the back of BTE case it says set after series 10 so i think doug naylors on the screw loose

The new series should be set before back to earth but after series 8 and it should have 8 episodes

Posted Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 23:00 NEW

voo7hees wrote:

he said he wants to make a series 10 and skip series 9 and make series 10 set after back to earth even though in back to earth it says series 10 is set before back to earth and the back of BTE case it says set after series 10 so i think doug naylors on the screw loose

I think you're reading too much into what he said. Besides, the setting after series 10 is in the 'reality' they visit.

Kryten: [SMUG MODE]I can't hang around here saving your necks all day, I think I'll make a start on that ironing.

RE: Series 9 explanation...anyone? s)
Posted Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 23:28 NEW

MDN T1 wrote:

voo7hees wrote:

I think you're reading too much into what he said. Besides, the setting after series 10 is in the 'reality' they visit.

Isn't it just likely that at the time of the interview Doug either hadn't finalised the script or made a mistake in talking about the "lost" series.
He evidently wanted to tease that this Red Dwarf would be set after a "missing" series (the series 9 he refers to in the interview) but either forgot, or at that point hadn't planned, that this would in fact encompass two missing series. What he should have said was, "I won't make series 9 or 10 but I might make series 11".

Doug evidently just made a mistake talking to the interviewer. All that should be surmised from the interview is that the next season he plans to make will be set after BTE and this only seems right, after all he can't de-age the actors to play younger versions of themselves for two prequel series.

Edited 2.6.2009 23:29
RE: Series 9 explanation...anyone? (possible spoil
Posted Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 02:59 NEW

I just want to make one little addition here. The squid and Rimmer can be easily put together a few of you have already come up with reasonable explanations.
But if anyone could try and fill me in on this... and what I'm getting at, go ahead.

In Back to Earth the Squid created a reality that was dreamt by the RD Crew due the Happy Ink! We all know about the squid because of the episode Back to Reality so no need to cap on what it does.
Now. We also know (if you've picked up on this) that by the RD Crew thinking and living in the reality 'Back To Earth' that reality was then created as an alternate dimension. I recall Kryten saying something along the lines of 'well I suppose they will just live their ordinary lives' referring to us people providing the Earth reality they were in was in fact our own.
But because there has been no series 9 for us but in the Reality they were in there was that means that the reality they were in wasn't our own which therefor means there might not be a series 9 where kochanski dies it could then be a gap between 8-9 like the RDIII fill-in.
Or it means that the reality they imagined was meant to be directly our own and red dwarf series nine will happen like it did in the reality they had imagined because of the Squid.
Rolling Eyes

narmour

email
Posted Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 05:13 NEW

I think that the alternate reality they 'create' in BTE is not meant to be 'our' reality. The main reason I think this is that London, as far as I know doesn't have a massive pyramid-like structure built nearby the Houses of Parliament, as seen in the episode (and indeed at the very beginning of the opening credits). So whatever happens re series 9 or whatever they end up calling it- it doesn't *need* to fit in with what is shown in BTE because that is not our reality, although it's very close in many ways. Oh, and the creator of RD wasn't Doug Naylor in that reality either, so there's another reason,

Regards,
Ross

Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 21:42 NEW

rossmac wrote:

I think that the alternate reality they 'create' in BTE is not meant to be 'our' reality. The main reason I think this is that London, as far as I know doesn't have a massive pyramid-like structure built nearby the Houses of Parliament, as seen in the episode (and indeed at the very beginning of the opening credits). So whatever happens re series 9 or whatever they end up calling it- it doesn't *need* to fit in with what is shown in BTE because that is not our reality, although it's very close in many ways. Oh, and the creator of RD wasn't Doug Naylor in that reality either, so there's another reason,

Regards,
Ross

That explains alot. Anything could infact happen then. Whatever they do, any new RD will be a good thing =D

\narm

narmour

email
RE: Series 9 explanation...anyone? (possible spoil
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 10:20 NEW

Nathan Armour wrote:

I just want to make one little addition here. The squid and Rimmer can be easily put together a few of you have already come up with reasonable explanations.
But if anyone could try and fill me in on this... and what I'm getting at, go ahead.

In Back to Earth the Squid created a reality that was dreamt by the RD Crew due the Happy Ink! We all know about the squid because of the episode Back to Reality so no need to cap on what it does.
Now. We also know (if you've picked up on this) that by the RD Crew thinking and living in the reality 'Back To Earth' that reality was then created as an alternate dimension. I recall Kryten saying something along the lines of 'well I suppose they will just live their ordinary lives' referring to us people providing the Earth reality they were in was in fact our own.
But because there has been no series 9 for us but in the Reality they were in there was that means that the reality they were in wasn't our own which therefor means there might not be a series 9 where kochanski dies it could then be a gap between 8-9 like the RDIII fill-in.
Or it means that the reality they imagined was meant to be directly our own and red dwarf series nine will happen like it did in the reality they had imagined because of the Squid.
Rolling Eyes

Camera explodes. That's the fourth one this week!

Anyway, there was a "series 9" for the Dwarfers and a "series 10" but of course in their reality it was "the past".

There is every possibility that Kryten's Mulitverse 101 theory is wrong. But I think the implication was that the imagined reality was close enough to ours to make us feel uncomfortable ("And they think they're the real ones!").

Given that we've seen the Red Dwarf Universe amalgamate realities to cope with paradoxes AND breached into ours with things like the Smeg Ups/Outs introductions and the Comic Relief spots, I think it's fairly safe to say that it's all a load of nonsense and lots of it is quite brilliantly funny.

Posted Monday, July 27, 2009 at 16:51 NEW

I dont really mind what they do if they get a new series as long as Starbug comes back that is one of the best ships ever invented on telly. Enterprise kiss its green ass Very Happy

Posted Saturday, February 5, 2011 at 12:23 NEW

Beyonce Holes wrote:

Well the rest of them were stranded in deep space. Maybe the chameleonic virus also infected all the escape ships, though? It affected RD pretty badly, so I can see how it'd spread to the other ships too.

Well, the nanos only remade RD according to its original design plans. Hard light holograms weren't around at that point, we can assume, as no one had heard of hard light till Legion converted Rimmer's lightbee in 'Legion'. Also, in Holoship, they explained Rimmer was an inferior hologram to them, and yet *still* Nirvanah Crane at all were soft light. Therefore it's safe to assume Legion created the hard light drive, or at least they were created long after RD and the Holoship were designed. That means the nanos couldn't have updated the ship to make him hard light. And even if it was the original hard light Rimmer, why was the other hologram (can't remember her name) also hard light?

Hmmm . . . maybe we can assume Holly was the one who updated the ship's systems to allow for hard light holograms? Reverse-engineered from Rimmer's lightbee, perhaps.

The secound hard light hologram was only a holusination from all of the crew members, and so she was never actualy there, everything right after they got of the pod thing was joy squid.

Arrow and so
im gonna get you little fishy
im gonna get you little fishy
coz i like to eat little fishy
Wink

Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 04:33 NEW

Janix wrote:

Maybe there is no season 9, because they knew there would be a few flaws in the ongoing story from BTE, and would leave out season 9 and just say 'it all happened in season 9' - however we never got to see it! Very Happy

Maybe seein as they class BTE as a 'series', it would be classed as 'series 9'.

Maybe they just dont want a series 9!!

Who cares, whatever way they go about it, RD still rox, they have my vote for series "X" any day Very Happy

OK I know that somebody may have already mentioned it i just didnt want to go through all the posts and I have to pipe up. If you notice on the back of BACK TO EARTH and it even mentions it somewhere in the three episodes that BTE happens after series "X". Although, I have no tiff with this, they would have to start off at season XI. I know that if they brought RD back it would be just as awesome.

RE: Series 9 explanation...anyone?
Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 12:25 NEW

RDUSA1 wrote:

Janix wrote:

Maybe there is no season 9, because they knew there would be a few flaws in the ongoing story from BTE, and would leave out season 9 and just say 'it all happened in season 9' - however we never got to see it! Very Happy

Maybe seein as they class BTE as a 'series', it would be classed as 'series 9'.

Maybe they just dont want a series 9!!

Who cares, whatever way they go about it, RD still rox, they have my vote for series "X" any day Very Happy

OK I know that somebody may have already mentioned it i just didnt want to go through all the posts and I have to pipe up. If you notice on the back of BACK TO EARTH and it even mentions it somewhere in the three episodes that BTE happens after series "X". Although, I have no tiff with this, they would have to start off at season XI. I know that if they brought RD back it would be just as awesome.

You're replying to a post from two years ago!

But, since you bring it up, it says 'series X' in quotes - the fictional series within the show. If RD came back for a new series now, it could legitimately be named IX or X - since BTE could either be called the ninth series...or simply a special between the eighth series and the ninth.

There's no sense at all in calling a new series XI. There haven't been ten series made yet to render a new one the eleventh.

I honestly don't know how many times it's going to take to explain that the 'series IX and X' in Back to Earth are only in the characters' imaginations. It makes no sense to believe otherwise...unless you think The Creator is really, literally writing Red Dwarf.

I used to work here, y'know...

Edited 10.3.2011 17:22
Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 17:23 NEW

Andrew wrote:

There's no sense at all in calling a new series XI. There haven't been ten series made yet to render a new one the eleventh.

I honestly don't know how many times it's going to take to explain that the 'series IX and X' in Back to Earth are only in the characters' imaginations. It makes no sense to believe otherwise...unless you think The Creator is really, literally writing Red Dwarf.

Yeah but it would be fun. Once all this debate has died out about the numbering of series, and some people believe there are in fact two series' missing. In years to come people may even talk/search for the missing series'. A bit like a lot of people believe there are in fact 13 episodes of Faulty Towers when only 12 exist, "The missing episode".

It could become some folk law and the search begins for the missing series 9 and 10 of Red Dwarf.

Life doesn't have to be perfect - it just has to be lived.

Edited 10.3.2011 17:25
Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 17:29 NEW

Andrew wrote:

unless you think The Creator is really, literally writing Red Dwarf.

Wouldn't that be problematic considered he got killed off? Okay it was in their imagination, but then again perhaps it wasn't really and they simply wound up writing themselves back into a parallel reality?

Okay, I'm obviously not serious there. At the end of all thigns, we're going to have this query forever, just like the one about Kochanski and her two actresses, and every other one of the countless errors of continuity that pervade Red Dwarf. It's an inevitability, much as we may wish it wasn't.

Disclaimer: the content of the attached post is strictly born from the opinion of the person posting it, and any fact stated should be clarified by the reader before taking it to be actual fact.

Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 17:36 NEW

Daniel wrote:

Andrew wrote:

unless you think The Creator is really, literally writing Red Dwarf.

Wouldn't that be problematic considered he got killed off? Okay it was in their imagination, but then again perhaps it wasn't really and they simply wound up writing themselves back into a parallel reality?

Okay, I'm obviously not serious there. At the end of all thigns, we're going to have this query forever, just like the one about Kochanski and her two actresses, and every other one of the countless errors of continuity that pervade Red Dwarf. It's an inevitability, much as we may wish it wasn't.

But this isn't a continuity error. I'm really bemused as to why so many people can't get their head around it. The two fictional series 9 and 10 mentioned in BTE are really our first clues that the the show isn't pulling the twist that many people thought it was. They havn't arrived in our universe and the show isn't breaking any fourth wall (although its strongly teasing it).

Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 18:49 NEW

bedfordfalls wrote:

But this isn't a continuity error. I'm really bemused as to why so many people can't get their head around it. The two fictional series 9 and 10 mentioned in BTE are really our first clues that the the show isn't pulling the twist that many people thought it was. They havn't arrived in our universe and the show isn't breaking any fourth wall (although its strongly teasing it).

Okay, look at it from this perspective. Did we ever see that Christmas day the boys fought that beast from wherever-it-was (I haven't watched any Dwarf in ages so I've forgotten) which was mentioned in Out of Time? Did we see Lister hand Jim and Bexley over to Deb and Holly change to resemble Hilly? The events of the "fictional" series 9 and 10 happened, but they were not series 9 and 10, but rather happened off-screen between series 8 and the events of Back to Earth. In the world of the Dwarf, there was no season 1-8 either, just the progression of their erratic and plot-hole fuelled lives. Series 9 and 10 don't exist, because they would be constructs of OUR world only, which the boys never entered into. So when a new series arrives, it can be called series 9 for that is the next number in the sequence, 10 in BTE wants to count as a series and not a special, or it can be called anything else Doug wishes.

Disclaimer: the content of the attached post is strictly born from the opinion of the person posting it, and any fact stated should be clarified by the reader before taking it to be actual fact.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3   Next Page Last Page
Subscription Options ?Click for an full explanation of subscription options.
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 400 users online right now, and 0 users in chat.
Registered users online: Hollo Marx, Seb P