New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: ...  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...   Next Page Last Page

General Series X in production discussion thread

Conferences ::  Red Dwarf on TV ::  Messages in General Series X in production discussion thread
Created on 28.11.2011 at 23:33 Views: 664995 Replies: 1309
RE: The News we've all been waiting for.
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 14:40 NEW

bedfordfalls wrote:

Just seen an opinion over at G&T from someone at tonights filming stating that:

"my gut SCREAMS at me that I’ve just watched the ninth episode of series VIII"

Oh dear. I do hope not.

But surely you're not getting overly concerned about one fan's perception..?

I feel these kind of individual comments should be taken with a massive grain of salt really,...but then having said that, so should the positive comments really (including my own of course). It can work both ways in that sense. We Red Dwarf fans have always had very varying views, so much to the point that what one may see as one of the best episodes ever, may be seen as the worse for others.

We should also bare in mind that when it comes to hardcore fandom, the audience effect, along with any preconcieved 'fanboy effect' can also work both ways. We (hardcore fans as opposed to casual viewers who also enjoy the show)all have our own preconceptions, emotional attachments to the show (or specific episodes or series')frames of reference and personal tastes. For the most part it's not a matter of scientific, empirical facts we're dealing with here, but more so a matter of personal preference and perceptions linked into that. So until these episodes air i shall be withholding all judgement (well, as much as is possible given my own natural fandom-based preconceptions, etc)

Quote:

Also, people of a non-spoilery notion might want to avoid the thread in question at the website in question as it talks about a certain actor tweeting about his appearance on the show. If you know who that actor is then it might be a potential spoiler as to who might be appearing in the show. Maybe.

This is indeed a slight concern. And from my personal standpoint i don't mean i'm concerned about who this actor is, (although i'm sure that aspect will either thrill some, or deeply concern others, due to..well, i'm not gonna' say it here, but, i think you know what i'm talking about) What concerns me is that if it's true it could indeed very well be concidered quite a big spoiler (not definately to the full extent i'm suggesting here of course, but one cannot be blamed for edging towards assuming a certain something about a certain someone's possible character)

I'm slightly surprised the comment hasn't been removered to be honest (not yours. the initial comment on G&T)

Aka The Veggie Vamp
Living in the moment
Living my life
Easy and breezy
With peace in my mind

Edited 14.1.2012 14:43
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 15:29 NEW

I think with G&T, it's because the source of the "spoiler" did not originate from the audience and I don't think it gives away anything to do with the plot or storyline....at least, I'm non the wiser about last nights episode. Certainly, it gives me a clue as to something that may be occurring....but it is still speculation to me. It may be totally unrelated to what I think may be occurring....maybe...maybe not....hmmm....Shocked

Scuttercast- MP3 Version (a Red Dwarf podcast)

Enhanced version is just on iTunes...I think. I don't really sort that bit out...and can't be bothered to check.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 17:02 NEW

I'm very excited to hear that this guest actor is returning, although I do hope it's in a different role.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 17:23 NEW

That moment when morbid curiosity takes over and you think of ALL the guest roles a guest star has taken and realise who the person in question is.

To be honest I dont think its really as bad as it could possibly be because the guest star in question has quite the lengthy resume and is obviously known to Cast and Doug alike, this Guest Star could be anyone or anything it doesnt necessarily mean that hes reprising a role from yesteryear... Does it(?)

If people look at what hes done other than Red Dwarf then it could be all kinds of things - in fact I'm going to stake my reputation on this.

Peter Wragg and his boys in FX took on a variety of different incarnations throughout 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9 hardly any were recurring roles, take David Ross for example or Tony Hawks.

*Goes back to sticking his head in the sand*

"Jesus... Yes?"

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 17:26 NEW

....and there was me thinking we were talking about Tony Hawks!

Or are we..... ¬.¬

Enhanced version is just on iTunes...I think. I don't really sort that bit out...and can't be bothered to check.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 17:30 NEW

ori-STUDFARM wrote:

....and there was me thinking we were talking about Tony Hawks!

Or are we..... ¬.¬

Careful bud for a minute there I thought you were going to let slip that it may have possibly been Jane Horrocks. *Wipes sweat off brow*.... Or not.

"Jesus... Yes?"

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 19:19 NEW

Freeborn Leveller - aka The Veggie Vamp wrote:

I'm slightly surprised the comment hasn't been removered to be honest (not yours. the initial comment on G&T)

If the 'spoiler' originated from that comment (and it was someone who was actually *at* the recording and using that knowledge to reveal plot or casting details), then it would've been removed. If cast members (guest or otherwise) are going to publicly announce something on Twitter, which then gets retweeted around, then forbidding the discussing of it on a fan site would be odd behaviour to say the least.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 19:40 NEW

i dont know why everyone is going nuts over this as Steven Wickham could be playing anyone so it doesnt have to be the same role he played before as you couldnt recognise him in his last role in red dwarf

and lets look back at past red dwarf with tony hawks playing several roles, and even robert llewellyn has taken at least 2 other small roles (data doctor and unmasked role in the last day), as well as david ross who has had 2 roles and tony slattery also

i mean only the people who have seen it know for sure so he could be playing the same character he played before, but id be real suprised to how it could possibly fit into the new shows direction which seems unlikely, as well as what little i see of the new set from the steady cam vid which looked nothing like it could fit in well with the characters last role Razz

Did someone say they wanted toast?

email
Edited 14.1.2012 19:58
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 19:57 NEW

Talkie Toaster wrote:

as well as what little i see of the new set from the steady cam vid which looked nothing like a dark village to me Razz

But is that set definitely from yesterday's episode? That video could have been filmed during Episode 1 or 2.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 20:56 NEW

Talkie Toaster wrote:

i dont know why everyone is going nuts over this as Steven Wickham could be playing anyone so it doesnt have to be the same role he played before as you couldnt recognise him in his last role in red dwarf

and lets look back at past red dwarf with tony hawks playing several roles, and even robert llewellyn has taken at least 2 other small roles (data doctor and unmasked role in the last day), as well as david ross who has had 2 roles and tony slattery also

i mean only the people who have seen it know for sure so he could be playing the same character he played before, but id be real suprised to how it could possibly fit into the new shows direction which seems unlikely, as well as what little i see of the new set from the steady cam vid which looked nothing like it could fit in well with the characters last role Razz

Which is exactly what I meant in my post.

"Jesus... Yes?"

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 22:05 NEW

Dan Pendo wrote:

Talkie Toaster wrote:

as well as what little i see of the new set from the steady cam vid which looked nothing like a dark village to me Razz

But is that set definitely from yesterday's episode? That video could have been filmed during Episode 1 or 2.

Yes, there are a lot of assumptions being made about when Ed's video dates from. I'm not saying whether or not they're correct, but people are certainly jumping to a particular conclusion.

Seb
Grant Naylor Administrator

www.reddwarf.co.uk

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 23:22 NEW

Even if the actor is playing the same character, I don't mind as long as the story is good. Reoccurence isn't necessarily a bad thing if we get a decent story and laughs.

I'm not saying they should do that sort of thing for every episode, but judging from the reports I've read I don't get the impression that that's the case.

Kryten: [SMUG MODE]I can't hang around here saving your necks all day, I think I'll make a start on that ironing.

Edited 14.1.2012 23:22
Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 00:29 NEW

But surely you're not getting overly concerned about one fan's perception..?

I wasn't going to but others have since chimed in with similar concerns. Comments about a "pantomime" feel with characters resembling caricatures have me worried as I felt this was the very worst aspect of VIII and one that had been firmly eradicated in BTE, whatever other faults it may have had.

I suppose part of me also fears and expects the quality to dip as we reach the final recordings just because of the way the quality and ideas seemed to dip in both VII and VIII at similar points. I'm hoping that only having six episodes will lead to better overall quality of writing and plot this time around though...but it does seem that after the initial almost universal praise, more and more views to the contrary are coming out as the recordings progress. I don't mind if there's one duffer of an episode somewhere in the series that's just there as a filler episode (provided it is at least funny for the right reasons) but I hope the series doesn't take the slide in quality that both VII and VIII did so that by the end you've gone from thinking "wow, this is great" to cringing ever so slightly.

Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 00:57 NEW

It's hard to re-capture lightening in a bottle. You can't expect things to be like they were twenty years ago, you just can't.

Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 08:32 NEW

set report episode 4

sounds good

email
Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 09:04 NEW

Sorry guys, everyone is now so paranoid about the spoiler rule and everyone trying to prove they're a good dwarfer that it is becoming pointless as a whole lot of time is taken to say pretty much nothing.

It is nobody's fault, everyone is acting with the best intentions but as long as we keep going on with the second guessing of double bluffs and tying ourselves in "maybe its this...OR IS IT? No, but it could be...OR MAYBE NOT!" type feedback loops what you basically have in the forum version of the White Hole repeating scene.

"So what is it?"
"I've never seen one before, no-one has, I'm guessing its a Series X recording"
"A series X!"
"Yes! As a new series of Red Dwarf is being filmed and obviously we want to talk about it but not at the behest of ruining the enjoyment of those who weren't there.
"So we're going to discuss it, without discussing it?"
"Precisely"
"So what is it?..."

Etc...

I honestly don't know why you lot who have seen the forum create a new sub-forum for yourself, password it with a keyword that only someone who had been to a recording would know about and then discuss the episodes freely without bother to all this "maybe, maybe not" stuff.
Yeah, some people might abuse it but if they want to hack into a secret sub forum to spoil themselves I guess they have no right to complain when they think the aired eps aren't as good as their imagination would have them believe when they read the spoilers.

As I say I know you're only doing it to be kind and mainly because Doug told you series E11T depends on it but since we can't really talk about it there's no point trying to talk about something we can't talk about IMO

Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 17:48 NEW

codename_47 wrote:

Sorry guys, everyone is now so paranoid about the spoiler rule and everyone trying to prove they're a good dwarfer that it is becoming pointless as a whole lot of time is taken to say pretty much nothing.

It is nobody's fault, everyone is acting with the best intentions but as long as we keep going on with the second guessing of double bluffs and tying ourselves in "maybe its this...OR IS IT? No, but it could be...OR MAYBE NOT!" type feedback loops what you basically have in the forum version of the White Hole repeating scene.

"So what is it?"
"A series X!"
"Yes! As a new series of Red Dwarf is being filmed and obviously we want to talk about it but not at the behest of ruining the enjoyment of those who weren't there.
"Precisely"
"So what is it?..."

Etc...

I honestly don't know why you lot who have seen the forum create a new sub-forum for yourself, password it with a keyword that only someone who had been to a recording would know about and then discuss the episodes freely without bother to all this "maybe, maybe not" stuff.
Yeah, some people might abuse it but if they want to hack into a secret sub forum to spoil themselves I guess they have no right to complain when they think the aired eps aren't as good as their imagination would have them believe when they read the spoilers.

As I say I know you're only doing it to be kind and mainly because Doug told you series E11T depends on it but since we can't really talk about it there's no point trying to talk about something we can't talk about IMO

I've only been to one recording and I hardly discussed it with the two people I went with, in the space of a week I've seen a number of Friends and all I've said is "I went to see Red Dwarf- yes, they're filming a new series, yes, with the original cast."

Have been very tightlipped over it and said only that:

"Doug must have seen the feedback there was on BTE etc because this new Series kicks series seven and eight out of the ballpark and I wouldnt be surprised if we see a Series 11 or 12."

And thats the most I've said, once the new series airs then this board will light up like Krytens eyes when he realises hes got oodles of cleaning to do, I dont want there to be a seperate part of the forum where only those of us who went to the Filming can go wax lyrical amongst ourselves because personally I dont want to chat about the episodes I havent seen and want- like everyone else to remain in suspense.

"Jesus... Yes?"

Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 18:30 NEW

codename_47 wrote:

"So what is it?"
"A series X!"
"Precisely"
"So what is it?..."

Etc...

Well, IMO, I've really enjoyed the spoiler free speculation and discussions about episodes recorded I know nothing about. And also the discussion of others about the one I did see recorded. I don't want an open discussion area in the forum which can only be accessed by a small few and I don't want to ignore the fact that new Red Dwarf is being made. I don't really see what your problem is. All the

Quote:

"maybe its this...OR IS IT? No, but it could be...OR MAYBE NOT!

type of talk is done to make it clear that insider knowledge is not being given.

Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 19:53 NEW

Cappsy wrote:

If the 'spoiler' originated from that comment (and it was someone who was actually *at* the recording and using that knowledge to reveal plot or casting details), then it would've been removed. If cast members (guest or otherwise) are going to publicly announce something on Twitter, which then gets retweeted around, then forbidding the discussing of it on a fan site would be odd behaviour to say the least.

Ah, fair enough. I must admit i'd only skimmed the comment at the time of posting, after reading the post here. Makes sense that it wouldn't be deleted if the actor's twitter was the initial source.

Although, could one not argue (not that i'm arguing, just playing devils advocate here now Wink ) that just because the actor blabbed, shouldn't necessarily mean the fans should feel the need to follow suite..? I mean what if i was name drop the guest stars from the 23rd right here? would that be acceptable? Or would it only be acceptable if they have personally already mentioned it on their personal twitter accounts? ...actually, scratch that, ignore me, 'I think everybody's right, i'm nobody, pretend i'm not even here' Wink

No, in all seriousness, you're right, that comment about it not being removed was perhaps a little (unintentionally) below the belt on my part. I didn't mean to have a go at anybody, i actually think you guys have done a great job over there with the spoiler policy and all. If the info was already out there, fair do's i guess.

..But still, it's sure gonna' get people speculating, which is not necessarily a bad thing of course. But i agree with Bedfordfalls as far as stating that some may want to avoid this particular information (easier said than done...especially when people keep bringing it up again...like i'm doing right now, lol). As i said one cannot be blammed for jumping to conclusions though about said actor's possible character (not that i'm assuming that as fact myself), it's the nature of the beast so to speak. But perhaps my 'slight concern' may have come across as a little over reactionary, i think it's all the recent excitement bringing out my RD geeky side to be honest, and thus perhaps over magnifying things slightly.

Bedfordfalls wrote

Quote:

I wasn't going to but others have since chimed in with similar concerns. Comments about a "pantomime" feel with characters resembling caricatures have me worried as I felt this was the very worst aspect of VIII and one that had been firmly eradicated in BTE, whatever other faults it may have had.

I suppose part of me also fears and expects the quality to dip as we reach the final recordings just because of the way the quality and ideas seemed to dip in both VII and VIII at similar points. I'm hoping that only having six episodes will lead to better overall quality of writing and plot this time around though...but it does seem that after the initial almost universal praise, more and more views to the contrary are coming out as the recordings progress. I don't mind if there's one duffer of an episode somewhere in the series that's just there as a filler episode (provided it is at least funny for the right reasons) but I hope the series doesn't take the slide in quality that both VII and VIII did so that by the end you've gone from thinking "wow, this is great" to cringing ever so slightly.

Well, i can only speak for myself and the episode i saw on the 23rd when i say the "panomime" type comments are certainly not something i can even loosely relate to what i saw that night. I came away feeling very pleased with the direction the show is going in, or at least appears to be going in from what i've seen myself)

I can't really say much about what you said about series 7 and 8 though as i have far fewer complaints than many seem to about both of those series, although don't get me wrong i do agree with some of floors some pointed out about those series and their are certainly bits i don't like so much (eg; As much as i love Back in the red, and Dwane Dibbly, the smeggin Dibbly family sketch makes me cringe muchly every time...but having said that, there are probably those out there who likie that scene).

I'm not sure i can agree that the quality dropped towards the end of those series though, especially the end of series 7, but maybe that's just me.

I haven't personally seen many negative comments yet to be honest, other than the two you pointed out, but perhaps that will change soon, i haven't had a proper read through all of the new stuff yet.

But yeah i guess i can see where the concerns are coming from. I really do feel we should take it all with a grain of salt though until the epoisodes are aired. But as i said perhaps that's easier for me to say due to being happy with the recording i saw, and due to not quite agreeing with some of the minor complaints from a few about said ep. Not that that makes me any more correct than they are when it comes to your or anyone elses oppinion and perception once the show is aired..only time will tell in that respect.

Aka The Veggie Vamp
Living in the moment
Living my life
Easy and breezy
With peace in my mind

Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 00:19 NEW

Shocked im shocked that there is no talk about the 4th set report Shocked

email
New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: ...  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...   Next Page Last Page
Subscription Options ?Click for an full explanation of subscription options.
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 1484 users online right now, and 0 users in chat.