New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: ...  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...   Next Page Last Page

General Series X in production discussion thread

Conferences ::  Red Dwarf on TV ::  Messages in General Series X in production discussion thread
Created on 28.11.2011 at 17:33 Views: 570908 Replies: 1320
RE: The News we've all been waiting for.
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 18:47 NEW

I loved that video. I found myself looking past the foreground though. So, he was showing us his camera was he? I didn't notice...

Scuttercast- MP3 Version (a Red Dwarf podcast)

Enhanced version is just on iTunes...I think. I don't really sort that bit out...and can't be bothered to check.

Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 18:57 NEW

it was pretty exciting to see an ever so slight bit of a set in the background

Did someone say they wanted toast?

Man in the rubber mask audiobook - (written and read by robert llewellyn)- (most entertaining) Very Happy

email
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 19:03 NEW

Fantastic video. Perfect style of teaser. Easily makes up for the Monday teaser.

Applause to Ed Moore for taking the time to make this video. Really nice to know that the people working on the show have such a passion for it.

email
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 20:44 NEW

Freeborn Leveller - aka The Veggie Vamp wrote:

Yeah i'm not at all disapointed with this vid. I guess it's more interesting for those of us interested in the techey side of things, but that part of a set we very briefly saw a part of at the beginning looks very intriguing indeed, no? (also very teasingly shown in a photo in todays main page news too).

Agreed. In fact I wish that last week we had come into that side of the studio (if you notice behind Ed theres a door that was (from what I can assume previous Audiences went through) I remember thinking before going whether I was going to be too busy looking at the technical side of things or watching the action on the set and the overhead monitors but as was said the Director was on the far end of the Studio where Ed was.

But still its all very cool to see videos like this Smile

"Jesus... Yes?"

Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 20:58 NEW

The video reminded me of the open weekend the BBC had at Ealing Studios just before they sold it. This was way back when HDTV was early experimental stuff that needed massive kit with 4 x 1-inch tapes in parallel to record it! Just look at the cameras & how they connect up now!
Of course the other big memory of the Ealing Studios visit was getting up close to one of the real Starbug & Red Dwarf hanger models.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 02:59 NEW

Just seen an opinion over at G&T from someone at tonights filming stating that:

"my gut SCREAMS at me that I’ve just watched the ninth episode of series VIII"

Oh dear. I do hope not.

Also, people of a non-spoilery notion might want to avoid the thread in question at the website in question as it talks about a certain actor tweeting about his appearance on the show. If you know who that actor is then it might be a potential spoiler as to who might be appearing in the show. Maybe.

Edited 14.1.2012 03:00
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 04:37 NEW

I think it's a pretty heavy spoiler if the guest is repeating a former role.
If not then i'm fine with them being jolly about it and tweeting the Red Dwarf Posse Razz

I'm also overjoyed that all guest stars so far have been given rave reviews. Cannot wait to see them.

I just hope we can reach the end of the tunnel with this momentum. No major spoilers so far and long may it stay that way.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 08:40 NEW

bedfordfalls wrote:

Just seen an opinion over at G&T from someone at tonights filming stating that:

"my gut SCREAMS at me that I’ve just watched the ninth episode of series VIII"

Oh dear. I do hope not.

But surely you're not getting overly concerned about one fan's perception..?

I feel these kind of individual comments should be taken with a massive grain of salt really,...but then having said that, so should the positive comments really (including my own of course). It can work both ways in that sense. We Red Dwarf fans have always had very varying views, so much to the point that what one may see as one of the best episodes ever, may be seen as the worse for others.

We should also bare in mind that when it comes to hardcore fandom, the audience effect, along with any preconcieved 'fanboy effect' can also work both ways. We (hardcore fans as opposed to casual viewers who also enjoy the show)all have our own preconceptions, emotional attachments to the show (or specific episodes or series')frames of reference and personal tastes. For the most part it's not a matter of scientific, empirical facts we're dealing with here, but more so a matter of personal preference and perceptions linked into that. So until these episodes air i shall be withholding all judgement (well, as much as is possible given my own natural fandom-based preconceptions, etc)

Quote:

Also, people of a non-spoilery notion might want to avoid the thread in question at the website in question as it talks about a certain actor tweeting about his appearance on the show. If you know who that actor is then it might be a potential spoiler as to who might be appearing in the show. Maybe.

This is indeed a slight concern. And from my personal standpoint i don't mean i'm concerned about who this actor is, (although i'm sure that aspect will either thrill some, or deeply concern others, due to..well, i'm not gonna' say it here, but, i think you know what i'm talking about) What concerns me is that if it's true it could indeed very well be concidered quite a big spoiler (not definately to the full extent i'm suggesting here of course, but one cannot be blamed for edging towards assuming a certain something about a certain someone's possible character)

I'm slightly surprised the comment hasn't been removered to be honest (not yours. the initial comment on G&T)

Freeborn Blog: Harnessing the scientific method for Social & Environmental concern

Edited 14.1.2012 08:43
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 09:29 NEW

I think with G&T, it's because the source of the "spoiler" did not originate from the audience and I don't think it gives away anything to do with the plot or storyline....at least, I'm non the wiser about last nights episode. Certainly, it gives me a clue as to something that may be occurring....but it is still speculation to me. It may be totally unrelated to what I think may be occurring....maybe...maybe not....hmmm....Shocked

Enhanced version is just on iTunes...I think. I don't really sort that bit out...and can't be bothered to check.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 11:02 NEW

I'm very excited to hear that this guest actor is returning, although I do hope it's in a different role.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 11:23 NEW

That moment when morbid curiosity takes over and you think of ALL the guest roles a guest star has taken and realise who the person in question is.

To be honest I dont think its really as bad as it could possibly be because the guest star in question has quite the lengthy resume and is obviously known to Cast and Doug alike, this Guest Star could be anyone or anything it doesnt necessarily mean that hes reprising a role from yesteryear... Does it(?)

If people look at what hes done other than Red Dwarf then it could be all kinds of things - in fact I'm going to stake my reputation on this.

Peter Wragg and his boys in FX took on a variety of different incarnations throughout 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9 hardly any were recurring roles, take David Ross for example or Tony Hawks.

*Goes back to sticking his head in the sand*

"Jesus... Yes?"

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 11:26 NEW

....and there was me thinking we were talking about Tony Hawks!

Or are we..... ¬.¬

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 11:30 NEW

ori-STUDFARM wrote:

....and there was me thinking we were talking about Tony Hawks!

Or are we..... ¬.¬

Careful bud for a minute there I thought you were going to let slip that it may have possibly been Jane Horrocks. *Wipes sweat off brow*.... Or not.

"Jesus... Yes?"

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 13:19 NEW

I'm slightly surprised the comment hasn't been removered to be honest (not yours. the initial comment on G&T)

If the 'spoiler' originated from that comment (and it was someone who was actually *at* the recording and using that knowledge to reveal plot or casting details), then it would've been removed. If cast members (guest or otherwise) are going to publicly announce something on Twitter, which then gets retweeted around, then forbidding the discussing of it on a fan site would be odd behaviour to say the least.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 13:40 NEW

i dont know why everyone is going nuts over this as Steven Wickham could be playing anyone so it doesnt have to be the same role he played before as you couldnt recognise him in his last role in red dwarf

and lets look back at past red dwarf with tony hawks playing several roles, and even robert llewellyn has taken at least 2 other small roles (data doctor and unmasked role in the last day), as well as david ross who has had 2 roles and tony slattery also

i mean only the people who have seen it know for sure so he could be playing the same character he played before, but id be real suprised to how it could possibly fit into the new shows direction which seems unlikely, as well as what little i see of the new set from the steady cam vid which looked nothing like it could fit in well with the characters last role Razz

Did someone say they wanted toast?

Man in the rubber mask audiobook - (written and read by robert llewellyn)- (most entertaining) Very Happy

email
Edited 14.1.2012 13:58
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 13:57 NEW

Talkie Toaster wrote:

as well as what little i see of the new set from the steady cam vid which looked nothing like a dark village to me Razz

But is that set definitely from yesterday's episode? That video could have been filmed during Episode 1 or 2.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 14:56 NEW

Talkie Toaster wrote:

i dont know why everyone is going nuts over this as Steven Wickham could be playing anyone so it doesnt have to be the same role he played before as you couldnt recognise him in his last role in red dwarf

and lets look back at past red dwarf with tony hawks playing several roles, and even robert llewellyn has taken at least 2 other small roles (data doctor and unmasked role in the last day), as well as david ross who has had 2 roles and tony slattery also

i mean only the people who have seen it know for sure so he could be playing the same character he played before, but id be real suprised to how it could possibly fit into the new shows direction which seems unlikely, as well as what little i see of the new set from the steady cam vid which looked nothing like it could fit in well with the characters last role Razz

Which is exactly what I meant in my post.

"Jesus... Yes?"

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 16:05 NEW

Dan Pendo wrote:

Talkie Toaster wrote:

as well as what little i see of the new set from the steady cam vid which looked nothing like a dark village to me Razz

But is that set definitely from yesterday's episode? That video could have been filmed during Episode 1 or 2.

Yes, there are a lot of assumptions being made about when Ed's video dates from. I'm not saying whether or not they're correct, but people are certainly jumping to a particular conclusion.

Seb
Grant Naylor Administrator

www.reddwarf.co.uk

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 17:22 NEW

Even if the actor is playing the same character, I don't mind as long as the story is good. Reoccurence isn't necessarily a bad thing if we get a decent story and laughs.

I'm not saying they should do that sort of thing for every episode, but judging from the reports I've read I don't get the impression that that's the case.

Kryten: [SMUG MODE]I can't hang around here saving your necks all day, I think I'll make a start on that ironing.

Edited 14.1.2012 17:22
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 18:29 NEW

But surely you're not getting overly concerned about one fan's perception..?

I wasn't going to but others have since chimed in with similar concerns. Comments about a "pantomime" feel with characters resembling caricatures have me worried as I felt this was the very worst aspect of VIII and one that had been firmly eradicated in BTE, whatever other faults it may have had.

I suppose part of me also fears and expects the quality to dip as we reach the final recordings just because of the way the quality and ideas seemed to dip in both VII and VIII at similar points. I'm hoping that only having six episodes will lead to better overall quality of writing and plot this time around though...but it does seem that after the initial almost universal praise, more and more views to the contrary are coming out as the recordings progress. I don't mind if there's one duffer of an episode somewhere in the series that's just there as a filler episode (provided it is at least funny for the right reasons) but I hope the series doesn't take the slide in quality that both VII and VIII did so that by the end you've gone from thinking "wow, this is great" to cringing ever so slightly.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: ...  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...   Next Page Last Page
Subscription Options ?Click for an full explanation of subscription options.
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 284 users online right now, and 0 users in chat.
Registered users online: Hubbs, Bluey