New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: ...  17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  ...   Next Page Last Page

General Series X in production discussion thread

Conferences ::  Red Dwarf on TV ::  Messages in General Series X in production discussion thread
Created on 28.11.2011 at 23:33 Views: 677279 Replies: 1309
RE: The News we've all been waiting for.
Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 16:05 NEW

Doug Naylor wrote on Twitter yesterday,

Quote:

Discovered today no money was put in the budget for music, apart from opening + closing credits. Me and a kazzoo for action sequences then.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

email
Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 18:18 NEW

Vicar of Dwayne Dibley wrote:

Quote:

Discovered today no money was put in the budget for music, apart from opening + closing credits. Me and a kazzoo for action sequences then.

Oh no!!! I'm sure Doug will find a way to get music into the show. I hope Dave gives a few extra pennies so we can have Howard Goodall music.

Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 19:05 NEW

Fan donations?

-__-

email
Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 19:49 NEW

Stephen Simpson wrote:

Fan donations?

I'd gladly donate, and I'm sure others would too, but whether we'd make enough is another question. I'm not sure how much a music budget needs but I can imagine it's in the thousands.

Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 23:57 NEW

Stephen Simpson wrote:

Fan donations?

Word has it, there are quite a few musically talented fans on this website. Very Happy

Yes, I know it isn't the film industry standard. No lecture required.

Welcome aboard!

Posted Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 00:49 NEW

Quote:

What?!? Only discovering this now?!? Sounds like a very amateur production!

All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts...

Posted Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 01:32 NEW

simulant37 wrote:

Quote:

Yup, Doug just tweeted the series has been pulled because of the lack of music funding. Oh well. Maybe a movie instead? Wink

Posted Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 01:43 NEW

Presuming Ed wrote:

simulant37 wrote:

Quote:

Yup, Doug just tweeted the series has been pulled because of the lack of music funding. Oh well. Maybe a movie instead? Wink

It does seem odd that this wasn't sorted out before . Its pretty important to have all the budget accounted for at the outset.

Maybe they should do it silent, like The Artist.

All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts...

Edited 1.3.2012 01:44
Posted Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 17:59 NEW

Presuming Ed wrote:

simulant37 wrote:

Quote:

I'm sorry, I just checked his latest tweets and there's nothing like that. Could you please quote it so I know you're not just taking the smeg.Shocked

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

email
Posted Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 18:45 NEW

Presuming Ed wrote:

simulant37 wrote:

Quote:

I'm sorry, I just checked his latest tweets and there's nothing like that. Could you please quote it so I know you're not just taking the smeg.Shocked

I'm pretty sure the Wink means he's joking. They wouldn't pull an entire series just because there's no music. They'll be looking for alternate ways of getting a music budget.

Posted Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 19:08 NEW

I used t o be able to play Polly Put The Kettle On on the recorder and Seven Nation Army on the bass guitar. Take it or leave it! Very Happy

"I give full permission for anybody to fart and laugh at my funeral." - Mrs. Yeckel, April 2012

www email
Posted Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 19:46 NEW

Supercat wrote:

I used t o be able to play Polly Put The Kettle On on the recorder and Seven Nation Army on the bass guitar. Take it or leave it! Very Happy

Sing the song an i'll play along!

Posted Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 19:53 NEW

simulant37 wrote:

Presuming Ed wrote:

simulant37 wrote:

Quote:

It does seem odd that this wasn't sorted out before . Its pretty important to have all the budget accounted for at the outset.

Maybe they should do it silent, like The Artist.

The Artist has a music score throughout.

Seb
Grant Naylor Administrator

www.reddwarf.co.uk

Posted Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 19:57 NEW

I think our very own Joshua Deroux should do the music! Especially in the style of his last Christmas video Razz

-__-

email
Posted Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 19:58 NEW

Mr methane should do the music!!!

Posted Friday, March 2, 2012 at 00:03 NEW

Dan Pendo wrote:

Presuming Ed wrote:

simulant37 wrote:

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the Wink means he's joking. They wouldn't pull an entire series just because there's no music. They'll be looking for alternate ways of getting a music budget.

I'm embarrassed now, look what I tweeted:
Click Here

I'm such a smegging idiot.Sad

email
Edited 2.3.2012 00:03
Posted Friday, March 2, 2012 at 00:09 NEW

I'm embarrassed now, look what I tweeted:
Click Here

Oh dear... Smile

"I give full permission for anybody to fart and laugh at my funeral." - Mrs. Yeckel, April 2012

www email
Posted Friday, March 2, 2012 at 02:09 NEW

Well, on the subject of the idea of fans funding the budget for the score, in theory i think it's a great idea, and in this specific case i would personally be more than happy to donate, albeit it not as much as i'd like at this point (with no credit or legal royalty nonsense required from me whatsoever (other than perhaps a general thanks to us all as a single entity, so to speak), all that tot is way too smeggin' complicated and unnecessary in these situations anyway, and besides the only reward i would require is for the show to be the best it can be) ...although in the status quo reality, again things are of course not always so straight forward as all that, unfortunately Sad There are many problems to overcome in order to make sure all the legalities have been covered, *sigh*. Not to mention the fact that even if there were enough of us who claimed they are willing to donate, in reality, many who say that now, will likely not do so when it actually comes down to the crunch Sad Then there is the issue of possible not raising enough in the given time, or in any time period for that matter...

That's not to say it's completely impossible. There is a certain (non Red Dwarf related) well meaning film project being proposed right now, and a script about to be worked on from money donated by supporters of the particular project. $113,000 (£70,873) has been raised since April of last year, which was actually $13,000 (£8,154) over their initial goal as to how much is being proposed to hire a scriptwriter (seems a little too much to me personally, for the script i mean...*shrugs*).

In this situation however, i have my doubts as to weather the film will ever be made at all (in the mainstream, non-independent sense as is being proposed), and quite frankly in the case of this specific organization i speak of, i feel that the money could be put to much better use, something more along the lines of what the Eden Project do for example (therefore i have not and will not be donating to what i feel is a slightly unrealistic and naive movie project, and never felt happy with them asking for smeggin’ donations in the first place for this reason!) The goal seems too unrealistic to me, unless they find a big time studio or big name producer and/or director to back the project of course, in which case even the most non-"high concept" film has a much, much stronger chance of being made in the way they seem to expect it to be made ( we're talking big budget major motion picture here, not an independent film, which is something i feel i could possibly support)

Anyway I’m rambling a bit now (shock horror Wink ) but yeah, coming back to the specific point, I think in the case of Red Dwarf series X, which as we know has non of the above mentioned initial problems to overcome - and If there were no legal implications getting in the way, fan donations would be one possible way around this unfortunate issue of the music not being accounted for in the initial budget, for whatever reason. So, um, yeah, over all, i'm not convinced it could work, through i don't think it's completely impossible either.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be nice if someone offered to do it for free? (now there's a balmy notion eh? Wink ), or at least for very little pay, as was the case with some of the wonderful folk who worked on Back To Earth (something that i genuinely found quite heart warming and uplifting).

I can honestly say that if i felt i was up to the job of creating a full score of the quality needed, i would be more that happy to do so for free (other than perhaps travel and accommodation costs, as I’m smeggin' skint right now). But alas my musical skills aren't really up to the kind of level required, not in this particular area at least.

Surely there is some young talent out there willing to help out though...while giving themselves valuable exposure as an upcoming artist of course. I mean, lets face it, a large number of big names we hear of today started out doing things for free, often loosing out fanatically in fact. Hans Zimmer and John Williams for example didn't become well sort after, and hence fairly 'well off' over night.

...erm, i can't believe i actually seem to have somehow slipped into attempting to push the unhealthy profit motive here Shocked Aaaagh! what's come over me?!? ..either I’ve been brainwashed and had my values re-programmed over night, or this just shows how much i love Red Dwarf and want the best for the show...that I’ll resort to such "follow the carrot stick" tactics.. Wink

Seriously through, i do hope they manage to sort something out, i'm sure they will, but lets just hope it's something of the quality RD deserves.

There was a recent Tweet from young Naylor junior regarding some left over music 'stings' (i think is the term) from series one that were never used. It would be nice if some of those could be used, although new is always good too of course, if it can be helped.

'Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.'

Posted Friday, March 2, 2012 at 02:46 NEW

Eek, sorry about that. Yeah, I was just joking Embarassed

Posted Friday, March 2, 2012 at 03:22 NEW

Spaceman wrote:

Supercat wrote:

Sing the song an i'll play along!

We can't hear you! The vacuum's getting in the way.

Kryten: [SMUG MODE]I can't hang around here saving your necks all day, I think I'll make a start on that ironing.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: ...  17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  ...   Next Page Last Page
Subscription Options ?Click for an full explanation of subscription options.
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 1307 users online right now, and 3 users in chat.