New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...   Next Page Last Page

The short 'flicks' and site link sharing thread

Conferences ::  Garbage Pod ::  Messages in The short 'flicks' and site link sharing thread
Created on 6.7.2011 at 01:04 Views: 107348 Replies: 245
The short 'flicks' and site link sharing thread
Posted Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at 01:04 NEW

Right then! on to plan B...Arrow

It seems to me that one thing these boards seem to be missing is a youtube (or other media channel) video sharing thread. So here it is, a place to share your favourite short video clips, whether they be funny clips, music videos, or...well, anything you may find of inspiration or interest - Or just plain wacky randomness if you like. Post whatever you wish (within reason obviously, baring in mind this is a "family forum")

I thought that it might be a nice way for fellow posters to get to know a little more about each others interests and whatnot too, and to maybe get some spin-off conversations going on also, so for that reason alone - don't feel the need to post something you think every single poster will like, as everyone is different. If you see a cool golf or cricket shot for example, the fact that i and some others may not be into golf or cricket as such is irrelevant, in that - 1: there are some here who are into it. And 2: The rest of us may find said specific shot (if that's the right term) quite impressive.

It could also be used to post links to sites you feel may be of interest to some/or a majority of posters here. Such as the following excellent little site, i'm using this as my home page at the mo. I think some of you will appreciate THIS one, if you haven't found it already.

So, to get the ball with the short vids - i would've posted the "Awesome farther and daughter duet" but i already posted that on another thread i started recently. So instead here's something a little different, and enjoyable in a different sense (hopefully). A three minute film showing the wonders of this beautiful planet we call Earth. Enjoy Smile >

And to add a little comedic contrast into the mist of things, i always find this somewhat amusing...then again, that could just be me Confused

Freeborn Blog: Harnessing the scientific method for Social & Environmental concern

Edited 6.7.2011 01:05
RE: The short 'flicks' and site link sharing thread
Posted Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 11:47 NEW

I have just rediscovered this this morning!! He can sing a lot more in tune than quite a few, so called, "professional artists".

"I give full permission for anybody to fart and laugh at my funeral." - Mrs. Yeckel, April 2012

www email
RE: Shhh
Posted Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 15:46 NEW

Supercat wrote:

I have just rediscovered this this morning!! He can sing a lot more in tune than quite a few, so called, "professional artists".

Haha, indeed. The guitar solo's at the end is better than some i've heard to Wink

I was almost expecting the weight of that guitar to make the little dude topple over at one point Surprised

Freeborn Blog: Harnessing the scientific method for Social & Environmental concern

Edited 7.7.2011 21:11
RE: "Title is too long" (again)?
Posted Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 16:30 NEW

Hadn't actually planned on posting this, but my random lyrics outburst on Supercat's thread inspired me too. So here it is. One of the initiators of "Geek Rap", my favourite kind Razz

Edited 7.7.2011 16:32
RE: "Title is too long" (again)?
Posted Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 17:16 NEW

Freeborn Leveller (aka 'The Veggie Vamp') wrote:

Hadn't actually planned on posting this, but my random lyrics outburst on Supercat's thread inspired me too.

Oh wow... I'm inspirational!!

"I give full permission for anybody to fart and laugh at my funeral." - Mrs. Yeckel, April 2012

www email
Posted Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 21:07 NEW

*Sings*
"You're the meaning in my life
You're the inspiration
You bring feeling to my life
You're the inspiration" Razz

eggs
Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 00:27 NEW

I will just put this right here

Now it's time for some Bandit Cloud Fan service!

email
Edited 8.7.2011 00:27
Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 00:29 NEW

oh oh oh how could I forget this!

email
Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 10:19 NEW

I've probably posted this one before, but here's an interesting interview with Craig Charles on the Word from way back in the 1990s. I especially like his stories about meeting the American fans.

BLUEY

Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 10:33 NEW

Lol, Gotta' love a bit of randomness, Cloud Smile

I must've missed that Craig Charles interview when originally aired. I usually watched the word though, so it's odd that i missed it.

Anyone remember this show? I used to love it as a kid, had the stretchy doll thingy, a poster and Worzel pajamas too. And even got to meet Jon Pertwee at a local carnival (in full-on worzel guise).

Looking back at a few clips and an episode now on you tube however, it doesn't seem to have quite the same feel to how how my child self had remembered it. The character himself often comes across as quite rude and unlikable...disturbing almost. It's funny how perceptions of some shows can change so much over time.

But even so, it's still nice to be able to go on these little trips of nostalgia via youtube and the like.

Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 11:24 NEW

Since it is Friday and all!

email
Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 12:13 NEW

Cloud Strife wrote:

Since it is Friday and all!

I feel I should go down the same route...

www email
RE: short 'flicks'
Posted Saturday, July 9, 2011 at 07:47 NEW

...and staying along the same line of thought >
(i couldn't find a music vid to this one, so the song will have to suffice ) Happy weekend everyone Smile

Edit: The song is called 'Saturday to Sunday' by the way, hence me posting it Razz

Edited 9.7.2011 07:50
RE: Good Morning
Posted Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 08:30 NEW

Aaand just one more from me > Good morning smeg heads..Wink Put on your best "Rocky Horror" outfits and sing along Razz

*Disclaimer: Just in case this purposely ironic video is misinterpreted in any way, Mike Patton is very much against drugs - was an active member of Youth Against Drugs (YAT) and still campaigns in his spare time for similar groups . His only real drug of choice is coffee. He's also very much anti-homophobic, and this video is not intended to make fun of, or stereotype "drag Queens" either - quite the opposite in fact. - (not that all drag queens are gay though, obviously)...But i just thought i'd explain those things, just in case Wink*

Edited 10.7.2011 08:43
Posted Monday, July 11, 2011 at 03:23 NEW

Freeborn, your disclaimer has made me think about how sensitive we all seem to have become. When that video came out, I never heard anyone mention any of those things. We just thought it was a weird video, but that's what we've expected from FNM ever since the flopping fish and exploding piano!

Josh Duroux
Musician
Cogito, ergo doleo

RE: 11:11
Posted Monday, July 11, 2011 at 16:10 NEW

Indeed. It would appear that in many ways 'we' have. My disclaimer may seem a little over the top. and may possibly have been unnecessary. It wasn't planed initially (it was what the edit was as an after thought) I had my reasons for doing so though. I don't remember many complaints at the time the video was released either, although i do recall an interview with Roddy where he mentioned that they actually got banned from playing a certain club in the Us because it was deemed offensive in some way :/ but that does seem like like a rare incident at that time.

I'm not sure how it would be perceived if released today. On the one hand there could be complaints, but then on the other hand compared with some of the music videos out there today, which are not a million miles away from a lapdance display or a gangsta film, i'm not so sure..but then if complained about it would be for different reasons of course.

It's interesting you mentioned the flopping fish in the 'Epic' video, as i actually posted that on the Shelter surge facebook group last year (it was also kind of a celebration of the amount raised during and after the Rage campaign ), and one lady replied along the lines of "I'm disgusted by this video! i read your profile and you claim to be a vegetarian, so then how can you post such cruelty!" I was a bit taken aback by that to say the least. I'd hate to see her reaction to the Red Dwarf raining fish scene..Smile Anyway i ended up then posting a rare 'making of' to that video, showing that the fish was out of water for a very short time, but she still wasn't too pleased with me for posting the vid.

I personally feel there are things out there that are not too healthy for kids to be exposed too, but other things do tend to be picked at through what seems like a little over sensitivity sometimes. It just seems the balance is a bit out of wack at times.

I thought this was quite cool, not sure how many others well, but i liked it >
Solar Sinter Project

Scale this up and you have a pretty cool eco-home built from sand. Almost like contour crafting, but instead of using concrete, you use sand. Interesting.

Edited 11.7.2011 16:13
Posted Monday, July 11, 2011 at 19:51 NEW

Found this and thought it was rather bizarre!!!

www email
Posted Monday, July 11, 2011 at 23:21 NEW

Freeborn Leveller (aka 'The Veggie Vamp') wrote:

Indeed. It would appear that in many ways 'we' have. My disclaimer may seem a little over the top. and may possibly have been unnecessary. It wasn't planed initially (it was what the edit was as an after thought) I had my reasons for doing so though. I don't remember many complaints at the time the video was released either, although i do recall an interview with Roddy where he mentioned that they actually got banned from playing a certain club in the Us because it was deemed offensive in some way :/ but that does seem like like a rare incident at that time.

I'm not sure how it would be perceived if released today. On the one hand there could be complaints, but then on the other hand compared with some of the music videos out there today, which are not a million miles away from a lapdance display or a gangsta film, i'm not so sure..but then if complained about it would be for different reasons of course.

It's interesting you mentioned the flopping fish in the 'Epic' video, as i actually posted that on the Shelter surge facebook group last year (it was also kind of a celebration of the amount raised during and after the Rage campaign ), and one lady replied along the lines of "I'm disgusted by this video! i read your profile and you claim to be a vegetarian, so then how can you post such cruelty!" I was a bit taken aback by that to say the least. I'd hate to see her reaction to the Red Dwarf raining fish scene..Smile Anyway i ended up then posting a rare 'making of' to that video, showing that the fish was out of water for a very short time, but she still wasn't too pleased with me for posting the vid.

I personally feel there are things out there that are not too healthy for kids to be exposed too, but other things do tend to be picked at through what seems like a little over sensitivity sometimes. It just seems the balance is a bit out of wack at times.

I thought this was quite cool, not sure how many others well, but i liked it >
Solar Sinter Project

Scale this up and you have a pretty cool eco-home built from sand. Almost like contour crafting, but instead of using concrete, you use sand. Interesting.

Off subject a little, but we're going to be looking at building our new house out of rammed earth. Don't know yet, hard to get costings until we know exactly where we're moving to.

Josh Duroux
Musician
Cogito, ergo doleo

Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 13:33 NEW

Joshua Duroux wrote:

[quote="Freeborn Leveller (aka 'The Veggie Vamp')"]

I thought this was quite cool, not sure how many others will, but i liked it >
Solar Sinter Project

Quote:

Off subject a little, but we're going to be looking at building our new house out of rammed earth. Don't know yet, hard to get costings until we know exactly where we're moving to.

That's great Joshua! Smile I hope you're able to get the funding for that. I'd like to do that some day myself.

There really are some great methods out there to build efficient, environmentally friendly and sustainable homes today. Rammed earth is one (of many) used for some of the buildings at the 25 acre 'the Venus Project' in Florida. As well as other eco-approaches used such as 'earth ships', earth bag, foamed inner core, cobb, experimental ceramic (without the grout), adobe brick, and pre-stressed light weight concrete, - pre-fabricated -pre-insulated and sound proof reinforced light concrete.

The new building being planned right now (it would be the eleventh building over all) is hoped to be self-contained with thermal generators, heat concentrators and photovoltaic arrays built into the skin of the building,..very cool stuff...although is proving a bit problematic money wise, unlike most of the other methods, of which Mr Fresco et al built themselves with little to no outside help.

Some of the bridges around the complex used similar methods to rammed earth too.

For those who may not have heard of, or know much about rammed earth housing, here's a nice little introduction - A 4 minuite film by NEXT ; Design for your Modern Home. RDC Fine Homes shows us how a rammed earth sustainable house is built.

And i assume you know about this guy, Joshua, but again, for those who may not - this is Quentin Branch, owner of Rammed Earth Solar Homes, Inc, giving a short tour while building his latest home -

Edited 12.7.2011 13:37
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 01:33 NEW

No, I'd never heard of him, actually!

What's good to see as I've been looking around builders, is that some of the more 'unusual' housing products, like rammed earth, strawbale etc, are being advertised by normal builders, not just eco-builders. And energy saving housing is getting more popular.

In Australia we use a lot of energy. The harsh climate demands it. It's all very nice and all to say put up with the summer heat just using a fan, but not so nice when your interior temperature is approaching 50C for 2 months running. It's been so hot in this house that you can't leave candles sitting around, they melt. It will also quickly destroy your thousands of dollars worth of electrical equipment. TVs, DVDs, PCs etc are not designed to survive such temperatures.

So, run the air conditioner, right? Well, our modest 1700W air con, which runs flat stick in summer and manages to get the interior temperature down to a little under 30C on the hot days, costs about 30c an hour to run (not factoring in the 18% price rise a few weeks ago in electricity.) Doesn't sound like much? Run it 12 hours a day for a 90 day billing period and you're looking at over $300. It doubles our electricity bill. And in high summer, it's running about 16 hours a day. The carbon tax coming in next year will push it even higher.

Australia is the biggest per capita user emmitter of greenhouse gas in the world, and most of it comes from coal burning power generation. The carbon tax will change this, but it will take decades. So there is a household driver for more effecient housing, which finally the big housing developers (who build houses to maximise profit, not for sustainability,) are starting to look at.

For us, building a recording studio, we'll be using a lot of electricity. The studio will need a ducted air con, which at standard rates will cost 60c to 70c an hour to run, and will be running all the time the studio is in use. So we want to look at a house with as little extra energy consumption as possible. Another thing we're going to be building is a grid feed solar power system. Here in NSW, and in most of the country, the popular solar system method is this grid return feed. So we act as electricity providers. The power we produce is fed into the system and bought from us by the electricity providers at standard buying rates, then the power we use is bought back from them at standard provision rates. This does mean that if you produce exactly the amount of power you use, you will still pay for your power, but is the best approach to seeing solar have a large installation and for the market to continue to work. In NSW for the next 5 years or so the government is actually buying the power off us at a higher price than we pay for it, which provides some further incentive. The downside is that even after rebates, a 1.5kW system, which will average about 8kWH per day over the year, costs about $7000 to install. In Summer we already use about 25kWH per day, with the studio that will go over 30kWH, so we want to build a system as big as we can afford! The maximum system to qualify for rebates and buy backs is 9.9kWH. One of those will set you back over $40,000! But will average about 50kWH per day.

/ramble

Josh Duroux
Musician
Cogito, ergo doleo

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   First Page Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...   Next Page Last Page
Subscription Options ?Click for an full explanation of subscription options.
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 247 users online right now, and 0 users in chat.