1:6 scale model Kryten

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KR15PY, Jul 9, 2009.

1. KR15PY

KR15PY Skutter

Hi there i have an unbuilt/unpainted boxed 1:6 scale Kryten model by Sevans Models cast in a porcelain based resin not the original vinyl semi poseable model, i have been trying to find out more information about this kit with hardly any success. Does anyone know if these are still available or how many were produced? I have had this for around 12 years and have just decided to let someone else have the enjoyment of making and displaying this kit, so i am going to list it on ebay at some point in the future.

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

The Sevans Models 'Kryten' kits were mass-produced and advertised in the Smegazine, but the run didn't last especially long and the kits are no longer available, and haven't been since, I guess, the mid to late 90s.

I've no idea about a resin version, though. They were made to be posable - coming with detailed (and amusing) instructions. So I guess what you have is either a semi-bootleg, a development version or some kind of test/back-up version. Which would be rarer, but also harder to authenticate.

3. KR15PY

KR15PY Skutter

Well i can personally authenticate this as being a genuine model as it was given to me by Stuarts father as a leaving gift when i left the area ( Stuart being Stuart Evans -SEVANS- ) as for it being resin i am only going by the added slip of paper placed in the outer box not the actual model kits box which reads this:

KRYTEN INSTRUCTIONS

THE ORIGINAL ISSUE VINYL VERSION OF THIS MODEL IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. THE MODEL HEREWITH IS CAST IN PORCELAIN BASED RESIN AND IS THEREFORE UNPOSEABLE. ALL OTHER ASPECTS OF THE INSTRUCTION LEAFLET SHOULD BE ADHERED TO. USE LOCTITE SUPER GLUE TO FIX PARTS AND PAINT USING ACRYLICS OR HALFORDS SPRAY PAINTS THOUGH ONCE AN ACRYLIC BASE COAT HAS BEEN APPLIED TO SEAL THE SURFACE ANY PAINT FORMULATION CAN BE SAFELY OVERCOATED.

IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE MODEL BE GLUED TO A BASE OR THE SQUARE OF PLASTIC ENCLOSED TO PREVENT IT FROM TOPPLING OVER AND BREAKING.

Now, this is typed on a slip of paper and enclosed with the boxed model, but whether this was done solely for this kit by Stuart or his father Barry just for my information i do not know. The actual kit itself does contain the original humourous instruction sheet for the vinyl kit.

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Ah, well, okay so it sounds like they put it out that way for some reason, after the initial release but still as a proper mass-produced product. Could be that they went to the different - less special - material for cost or supply reasons. I imagine it makes it both less common and (slightly) lower quality, which ends up making it worth about the same as the original versions.

Whatever that might be. It's not hugely famous or in demand, but it should be - it's an excellent model. (I still have mine.)

If you're in touch with the Sevans guys personally, that's the place to go for info since very little was released publicly about the goings on of their RD business. Otherwise, that's kinda all the info I have.

5. KR15PY

KR15PY Skutter

Alas i am no longer in touch with them, as i left the Trowbridge area in 98 and Barry was a regular customer in my shop but i never actually new him in a social capacity as for Stuart i only met him once but his father used to chat with me about his models a lot as he knew my interest and he also used to help out with some of the building of prototypes and display diaramas. He also gave me the head of Davros from one of the kits which believe it or not was going to end up as a gear knob on my mini, but i lost that before i could make that happen.

picture here,

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/tali1967/?action=view&current=Image010.jpg

6. billybobbits

billybobbits Skutter

Lookit! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260549241448#ht_500wt_1182

7. RozzaI

RozzaI Third Technician

room 169,corridor 59,A deck,Red dwarf,DeepSpace
    how much wuld postage to australia be

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Probably best to message the seller on ebay.

9. KR15PY

KR15PY Skutter

I have now decided to sell this model and it is listed on ebay