10 THINGS YOU DON'T WANT FOR SERIES XI?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by simulant37, Sep 6, 2013.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

1 Return of old alter egos (Duane Dibbley, Ace Rimmer etc)
    2 Rewritten backstories that ultimately add nothing
    3 Multi-part episodes
    4 Explanations for Only the Good cliffhanger
    5 Vending machines
    6 Return of Kochanski
    7 Broad slapstick
    8 Callbacks to old episodes/gags
    9 Episodes set on Earth
    10 Racist humour

2. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I actually agree with all of those.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What's wrong with the vending machines? I thought they were a good addition to the series.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

My issue with the vending machines is that they already pretty much stopped using then after series 1 and even though there was one in Series 8 it feels like doug brought them back in RDX and somehow manage to make them feel overused in only 2 episodes in occasionally irritating ways

5. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

quote="simulant37"]
    Nope they would be fine if they were in an appearence like in Polymorph 2- But i think Jake Bullett deserves to come back
    Agree Competely- i hate it how Naylor ruined the charater of Rimmer in The Beginning-
    3 Multi-part episodes
    Agreed
    100% agree
    5 Vending machines
    hmmm though i would love to see Tony Slattery back as a Vending Machine :-)
    6 Return of Kochanski
    if its Chole Annette Kochanski then No...if its Claire Grogan by all means come back
    7 Broad slapstick
    Agree 200%- Back to Earth suffered so much for this
    hmm if its balanced than yeah i think they would be okay
    9 Episodes set on Earth
    agree
    10 Racist humour[/quote]

6. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

quote="simulant37"]
    Nope they would be fine if they were in an appearence like in Polymorph 2- But i think Jake Bullett deserves to come back
    Agree Competely- i hate it how Naylor ruined the charater of Rimmer in The Beginning-
    3 Multi-part episodes
    Agreed
    100% agree
    5 Vending machines
    hmmm though i would love to see Tony Slattery back as a Vending Machine :-)
    6 Return of Kochanski
    if its Chole Annette Kochanski then No...if its Claire Grogan by all means come back
    7 Broad slapstick
    Agree 200%- Back to Earth suffered so much for this
    hmm if its balanced than yeah i think they would be okay
    9 Episodes set on Earth
    agree
    10 Racist humour[/quote]
    agree

7. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

This one irks me.

Race had never ever occurred to me regarding Red Dwarf. For me it was just a wonderful sit-com. Fun, often poignant and hilarious.

Then I learnt how 'fans' rejoiced in the fact it was never racist. Then we had messrs Llewellyn, Charles and John-Jules on the series 4 documentary banging on about how Red Dwarf wasn't racist and was positive when it comes to portraying black people.

Kind of defeats the object doesn't it? If race was never an issue in Red Dwarf, why is the issue of race brought up at all regarding the show? In that respect, Red Dwarf was light years ahead of many audience and cast members.

I was so pleased when Rimmer said the 'r' word in Series X and 'Taiwan Tony' too. One in the eye for all those 'Ooo my fave programme never ever mentions race (but I mention it in a positive way)' uber fans. Pissed a lot of them off. Nice one, Doug.

Race was never an issue in the show. The people who noticed that made it one.

Nuts.

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

No.

But...you clearly noticed it yourself. And you've made it an issue here. :P

Just out of interest what do think the intended fan reaction was supposed to be?

I'm not gonna' get too deep into this whole repetitive debate again, but...personally I like the joke about racial stereotypes in 'Fathers and Sons'. From my perspective it's all about the fact that they (especially Rimmer) were all so concerned about whether or not Chinese whispers is racist (which of course it's not, in my opinion at least) whilst completely overlooking the much more obvious racial stereotype in the vending machine they call "Taiwan Tony".

Um, as did certain fans. :lol:

Then again my interpretation could still be wrong. And the last laugh could be on me.

Either way, while part of me still wishes it was made a little more clear, the gag works pretty well for me personally. Although I found some of the fan reactions both funny/ironic and disturbing at the same time. And I do find both "Taiwan Tony" and the "Medi-bot" a tad annoying.

Does anyone know if Doug has spoken about the whole Chinese Whispers sub-plot in any interviews yet?

Surely someone asked him about it at the convention, no?

And if not, shame on you all! ;-)

9. Presuming Ken

see below

Erm, that's kind of my point. I didn't notice it, until fans and actors started talking about it. So I noticed other people noticing how ace Red Dwarf was for not being racist. How was that not clear? :roll:

To what? :?

Again, kind of my point. I applaud Doug for writing it the way he did. Very witty and clever for those of us who got it. But made the 'I love Red Dwarf: it's not racist' types who didn't get it look like plonkers, which makes it even sweeter.

You seem to be on the same page as me re Red Dwarf and (lack of) racism so am a little confused regarding your response to what I posted.

10. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Ah don't worry, what you meant was clear. I was being kinda' sarcaarstic. And it was an amazingly funny.

To the Pakistani donkey on G deck.

Oh and the Chinese whispers sub-plot. But you've since answered that by stating that you interpreted it the same way I did.

Hmm, well I genuinely apologise if I came across as a tad confrontational. And for my silliness. However, I think it was the part about the "It's not racist types" that slightly threw me. As I myself have always kinda' liked the fact that RD had a few non-white dudes in the lead cast, yet race or skin colour had never been an issue story wise.

This would be less a big deal for me nowadays but back then it was still reasonably rare. So in that sense I actually agree with Robert, Craig and Danny.

But again on the other hand I do find the F&S gag works pretty well as a piece of social commentary on the subject. One of my personal concerns was regarding how it could quite easily be, and was perceive by people who actually are kinda' discriminatory. Although obviously I don't I think every single person who didn't get it is necessarily racist, some gags just go over some people's heads, I guess.

But I have similar concerns when it comes to the meat heads who relate and laugh along with Al Murray's Pub Landlord character, as opposed to laughing *at* the character. That was part of the basic point I was getting at.

But yeah, I think I see where you're coming from too. But again I apologise if my earlier post came across the wrong way. I seem to be in a strange and eclectic mood tonight/this morning. And no I'm not drunk. Haven't had a drink for some time now in fact...perhaps that's the problem! This being teetotal lark is not quite the enlightening experience I hoped it would be! ;-)

11. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Alana_Ryan_Behan Second Technician

To misquote Paul Lynde:

I must be the only person here who doesn't want to f*ck Clare Grogan

12. Presuming Ken

I apologise too if I sounded arsey. Was up a bit late and was all cranky :-)

13. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

No more hot ladies been killed off, like when the blonde lady was sucked out into space. :eek:ops:

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Only one:

For it to be on Dave.

15. simulant37

Can't you get Dave? :roll:

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, but they wouldn't know the real Red Dwarf if it bit them on the arse.

17. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Racist humour...? lol you make me laugh Simmy get back in your cave.:P

"Christmas rubbish" likes this.
  18. simulant37

Odd ill-informed response. . .:roll:

19. simulant37

No? Weird considering they have been broadcasting the older series, if that's what you mean by "real Red Dwarf"?

20. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, that is what I mean, but I don't see what them running the classic episodes has to do with anything. I can stick a Vivaldi CD in my player - doesn't mean I can compose music.