10 THINGS YOU WANT FOR SERIES XI?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RECTUMfacedPYGMY, Dec 16, 2012.

1. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

1 The return of Rob Grant, or more comedy writers to help Doug.

2 Starbug model and original Cockpit and sitting area back.

3 Bunkroom scenes with Rimmer and Lister.

4 A scene with Lister Sons grown up.

5 Lister wearing his old t shirts and his Hat.

6 the old weapens back and big guns.

7 Cat Race episode.

8 The return of Ace Rimmer in one episode.

9 Tell us what happend after Only the good.?

10 The computer games back maybe Better then life.

:-D

2. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

11 GET NORMON LOVETT BACK HOLLY:-D

3. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I may struggle to think of 10, but here goes...

1 - give us Starbug. Even if it's just the cockpit and midsection (so basically what they had in series 4 and 5) the old beat-up ship needs to return. And make it as close to the Starbug we know and love - don't change the set as in RDX because, as good as the set in RDX was (and it was brilliant), they've got an excuse in that they've got a huge ship to explore, and only a handful of Starbugs. And make it crash.

2 - keep it to the main cast. Yes, we can have guest-stars. We can even have Hogey back for an episode (at most). But I don't want Kochanski back, which brings me to 3...

3 - no Holly. Other people love Holly and I have enjoyed both incarnations of the character. However, I think series VIII and since has proved that the show doesn't need either Holly any more and I don't think they'd get the dialogue they deserve (again, see series VIII where Holly barely appeared).

4 - no changing of the characters. Rimmer has had a few changes this series, let's keep it as it is.

5 - make Rimmer a bit more snidey and sarcastic to Lister.

6 - NO return of Dwayne Dibbley, Ace or Mr Flibble. Dwayne and Ace, whilst not overused, could be easily, and Mr Flibble is perfect where he is.

7 - keep the sets! They're ace, don't do anything with them. Except add a Starbug one.

8 - keep the models! They're ace!

9 - the writing needs to be a bit tighter. In another topic, someone mentioned that RDX was like a sketch show, to which I partly agree. There are various parts where the crew split up and each do their own unrelated segment, which may or may not come back at the end. Kryten's spoon-drying is a good example of this, as is the Chinese Whispers. It needs to be more cohesive, with a clear set-up, main plot and resolution and the crew acting towards the same goal. For instance, Back To Reality (though I'm not overly keen on the episode) has the set-up on the Esperanto whilst Rimmer watches on, then the main plot with them all and the resolution, again with them all. Entangled, one of the better RDX episodes (in my opinion) has the set-up with Lister and Rimmer's H&S plot and Lister going off on his own and Kryten & Cat's synchronicity, before the main plot of trying to find the groinal exploding code (which goes to the BEGG camp, Blue Midget, the ERRA station, and then back to Red Dwarf with a monkey, then turning the monkey into the scientist, then decoding the thing), before the resolution which I can't remember. I do like episodes which do a lot, but it all needs to be more solid.

10 - give me a ticket to the taping?

EDIT - 11 - STOP GOING ON ABOUT KOCHANSKI! Seriously, I'm pretty sure Lister mentioned Kochanski to the point of obsession in every episode of RDX. Oh, it could be Kochanski behind that door. Has something happened to Kochanski? If Kochanski came in here right now... easily some of the worst bits from RDX.

4. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

1. Rob Grant

2. Rob Grant

3. Rob Grant

4. Rob Grant

5. Rob Grant

6. Rob Grant

7. Rob Grant

8. Jokes for people with an IQ above 80

9. Depth and substance

10. The S1 Drive Room

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

1. even less call backs

2. keep it as just the 4 guys or 4 guys and holly

3. a different director so doug can keep to just writing

4. more starbug

5. tighter and better thought out storys

6. keep to 1 plot for each episode

7. rob grant (even though i can't see it happening)

8. no pantomimey humour

9. less dispensing machines

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

In fairness those bits are quite obviously there because episodes 5 and 6 would have featured Kochanski. Unfortunately (?) those episodes had to be shelved which leaves the continuity references looking a bit strange.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Actually, she isn't mentioned all that often. Let me see, off the top of my head-

One sexy gag in Trojan.

In the Father and Suns, um Father and Son scene as an aspiration for Lister to better himself.

Once in Lemons as a reason for returning to their present.

Entangled - when Lister hoped they'd find her in stasis.

Actually, listing like that, it's a tad more than I'd have thought, but it was brief in each of those scenes. And in half of those as an aspiration. A way for Lister to better himself rather than just being the end in herself. (No innuendoes intended.)

I guess if someone particularly despises the character, (and many fans seem to) that little can seem a lot though.

Considering how BtE ended it could so easily have been a lot more. I'm glad they didn't harp on about her and focussed on other plots, yet mentioned her to provide a vague overall arc. I actually wouldn't mind if she became more of a focus in series XI not a major character until maybe episode 5.

As for an Ace episode- I wouldn't mind one of those if it is particularly different. Considering who the last Ace Rimmer actually was, I think there's a good chance it wouldn't just be a rehash of the superhero 'what a guy' character we've seen before. Think about it. The last Ace was either our Rimmer (in which case we may get to know what happened to him) or it could be a certain more weasily fleshier version who kneed Death in the nethers... Now I wonder how HE got the role...

8. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Yes Ace is one of the best characters, We still dont know what happend to our Rimmer who became Ace, what happend to him after Ticker to ride? Doug could explain the original Rimmer gave up on being Ace and he came back to them? But now there is another Ace. Could be a really good episode.

9. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Allow me to shatter your dreams and melt it into a fine paste.

1-- Rob Grant is never coming back. He doesn't want to. Ever. Again.
    2-- Calling back to the old series is boring.
    4-- Craig played his own son. He's not going to pull of 2 characters easily, and also, calling back to the old series is boring.
    5-- Calling back to the old series is boring.
    6-- Calling back to the old series is boring.
    8-- Calling back to the old series is boring.
    9-- Doug doesn't want to. He isn't going to. Wasn't this made clear?
    10-- Computer games? Sure. Better than Life? No. Calling back to the old series is boring.
    11-- Norman is never coming back. He doesn't want to. Ever. Again.

Sorry about rudeness, but I'm just saying. (All numbers I didn't respond to I agree with.)

10. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

And in Dear Dave, when Cat's doing his charades bit, Lister repeatedly shouts, "Is it about Kochanski? Has something happened to Kochanski?" (Or words to that effect)

The only episode I can't recall her getting mentioned at least once of the top of my head was The Beginning.

According to Bedfordfalls this is revealed in the DVD extras.

Depends on how it's handled, seeing Starbug and Bazookoids back isn't necessarily boring in itself and continuity isn't a bad thing. A constant barrage of "Remember back when we -(Insert previous series reference here)-" would get tedious quickly though.

He didn't become Ace till "Stoke Me A Clipper" ;-)

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it isn't

(Spoilers below)

Doug naylor: if you really want to know what happened then what happened was (end credits)

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Seriously? Well, that's very disappointing. To be honest, I don't really care too much about the cast interviews or behind the scenes stuff, I'll usually watch it once through but that's about it, the official Series VIII Cliffhanger solution was one thing I was actually really looking forward too. Oh well, if there is a Series XII I'll probably not be bothering with the DVDs next time round.

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Way to ruin the joke. :roll:

14. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Yes WHY?:x

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

hey i did say (spoiler)

and it wasn't a funny joke anyway ;-)

16. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

Most people on these forums seem to be too over-senitive about spoilers, it's quite silly if you ask me.

17. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

1. Play it straight. Tone down the pantomime. This applies mostly to Lister and Rimmer who are meant to be human and somewhat relatable. Cat and Kryten can be cartoons and get away with it. Gordon Brittas and Lloyd the Taxi bloke aren't Rimmer and Lister - basically just hone in on the characters. There were a couple of fourth-wall breaking moments in X which really belonged in a Smeg Ups section of the DVD (mocking Star Trek sets by turning left etc).

2. More heart. Give Rimmer his soul back, he did have one at one point.

3. Stop going to Earth for adventures. Earth like planets, terraformed planets, fine. Not Earth.

4. Cat episode. Preferably to do with one of the colonies that left the ship.

5. Resolution to the Kochanski arc. Bring her back or send her away to her own dimension for good.

6. Research earlier episodes before making decisions on certain plot details. Please stop going against what is established. Give Lister his clothes back and his humanity, he is the moral heart and since VII he's been a bit of a reckless moron. Give Rimmer his search for aliens etc something else to fight for.

7. Jim and Bexley return to meet their father/brother (just realised Kochanski is both their gran messed up)

8. Some sort of direction. What's the aim? To find a planet and settle down or get back to Earth in their own time? Focus it.

9. More unique offbeat characters that demonstrate the scope of the universe and the progression of technology eg Legion, Inquisitor, Holoship etc.

10. Holly, Toaster, Skutters - Red Dwarf furniture.

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

If that's the "joke" then it's really pretty feeble.

19. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Both Jim and Bexley would be dead now, they would have been dead for hundreds of years, particularly since series 6

20. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

1. No Kochanski
    2. No Kochanski
    3. No Kochanski
    4. No Kochanski
    5. No Kochanski
    6. No Kochanski
    7. No Kochanski
    8. No Kochanski
    9. No Kochanski
    10. No Kochanski