10 THINGS YOU WANT FOR SERIES XI?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RECTUMfacedPYGMY, Dec 16, 2012.

1. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

1. The return of Starbug as the main transport vessel, inluding a cockpit
    2. A new drive room set, made to look less like a cockpit and more like the series 1 drive room set.
    3. The RDX drive room set permanently redressed as the Blue Midget cockpit
    (I promise no more cockpit related things)
    4. The return of Holly or Pree turned good
    5. Captain Hollister in one episode
    6. A cat race episode, perhaps a reworking of Identity Within
    7. More episodes (preferably the standard 6 episodes followed by an hour long special)
    8. More adventurous episodes filmed on location
    9. More bunk room scenes
    10. A bigger budget (this would be required for most of my other suggestions)

2. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

1. A new drive room more like Series I
    2. Starbug! We need Starbug back!!!!
    3. An episode where they actually try to get back to Earth rather than just ending up there by time-travelling. It's been too long since getting to Earth was a priority for them. I don't want them to get back to Earth (not yet anyway!) but for that to be named as a goal again.
    4. A resolution to Kochanski storyline
    5. A glimpse of what life was like in Solar System at the time Rimmer and Lister were growing up...We've seen Earth, and Io has been teased at, but a good long look at how the Solar System developed would be great
    6. I want to see more of Red Dwarf! Perhaps if they did mock-ups of the older corridor sets (even a green screen maybe?) and had the boys walk along them just for a moment or two to tie XI back into earlier series and give the ship a sense of scale.
    7. A bit more antagonism between Lister and Rimmer. I like that they get on well now, but they need to be at loggerheads next year at one point!
    8. Give the Cat and Kryten something to do, please!
    9. A return of the simulants, even if we just find out something they've done (like come across a GELF village that's been wiped out by them) just something that keeps that plot alive without overpowering it.
    10. And a controversial one...Michael McGruder. Who else would like to see that character move out of the book and into the show? Perhaps he could be a new Ace Rimmer? (it could be left open to interpretation as to whether or not he was the son of our Rimmer or the son of another Rimmer, but it would freak him out either way!)

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It was mildly amusing on the DVD, lessened by the fact people weren't hyped up for it, but it was even funnier that the forum was helping build that hype for our NA cousins without actually fibbing.

A practical joke is still a joke. Pity you couldn't play along with it. :roll:

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it saved them alot of frustration believe me ;-)

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Trust the toaster to ruin everyone's fun. And his signature is out of date.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

oh yeah so it is, thanks for that :-)

7. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

An injustice has occurred right here. I am your justice monitor of the board. I live by a code of honour and talkie has broken that code right here.

This has been a message from the shield of justice.

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It sure is Cloudy today. 8)

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I can't think of ten things, but I would agree with the suggestion about bringing back a series 1 style drive room.

The series X drive room just didn't look right to me. I found it aesthetically unappealing.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its the sorta set that looks like it was made that way so it could easy transform into a cockpit if needed

11. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Yep. For something like a Bug. That goes around in Stars.

Have to say that, if a new drive room did come about (I do like the drive room but it is a tad small), redecorating the current drive room a bit and turning it into Starbug's cockpit would be quite a good set re-use.

12. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

I'd like a few more episodes focused on characters, with no leaving Red Dwarf. Episodes like in Series 1 with no grand life-threatening issue and more comedy focused on personal issues of the characters. Something like what Dear Dave tried to do.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Red Dwarf Video Game Made By BBC worldwide, like the Doctor Who Ones

14. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Just want it to happen. Always grateful for more dwarf be it series 1 style, series 8 style, bte, series x or movie.

Anything else, lets let Douglas surprise us and hit us with his best shot :-D

15. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

1) More traveling through time episodes. Always classic Red Dwarf episodes.
    (Hopefully due to the success the budget will improves so they get to.)

2) Holly returning (Hattie, Norman, or someone new, doesn't matter.)

3) A conclusion to Kochanski (Hopefully during the end of series XI

4) Skutters return.

5) Dwayne Dibbley return

6) Ace Rimmer return.

7) Arnold J Rimmer not to change. Hopefully due to revelations in the last episode it wont
    change his character. He is better as a cowardly smeg head.

8) A Kryten based episode. It was more around Rimmer and Lister in series X

9) A Cat based episode. More needed.

10) Tony Hawkes. Would love to see Tony Hawkes as a guest character just like the old ones.

The only other request is just to keep it as it is focused more on Series III - VI based episodes;
    and yeah more Starbug than the Blue Midget although it was lovely to bring it back.

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

While I can understand that, I actually hope he does change a bit, if not all at once. They seemed to set the reset switch somewhat after his heroic* bit at the end of series 6. (That being said I suppose he does develop from early Rimmer if incrementally.) The very fact the last episode is called The Beginning suggests to me it should be the start of something.

I'm not suggesting he should change all at once, or even have moments of backslision though.

*Not that he had much of a say in the matter since he was about to be destroyed anyway.

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

something i learnt from series X is that doug will happly call back to things as long as they ain't series 8's cliff hanger

so i can see a moment in a series 11 where listers says something like... what you on about rimmer your dad was a gardener called Dungo (audience laugh) then rimmer pulls slightly annoyed face then says something smug about why being a gardeners son is a good thing and how he now understands why he is good at certain things

its pretty predictable stuff but sadly i wouldn't put it past doug naylor

18. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

1. A resolution to the Kochanski storyline without her becoming a permanent member of the cast.

2. A Cat episode.

3. Holly (Norm, Hattie or a newbie, I don't mind).

4. More starbug.

5. Good quality episodes that focus on character but also have interesting scientific ideas behind them.

6. Now that there are sets, more money towards location shooting and more new sets too.

7. Studio audience.

8. More beautiful model shots.

9. Hogey's map becoming useful. (I also wouldn't mind seeing Hogey for one more episode but please don't milk him).

10. NO RESOLUTION TO THE SERIES 8 CLIFFHANGER. EVERYONE JUST FORGET ABOUT IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

19. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Also I want the original officer Sleeping quarters to come back, from series 3 to 5, the new one was nice but just didnt look right and i didnt believe they would live there when there would be much nicer quarters to sleep in.

20. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Why would this be a bad thing? To be honest, I was broadly content with accepting that stuff happened, but one of the things that has annoyed me was that it was strongly suggested on here that this was resolved in the DVD extras. I can acknowledge that the posts relating to that were carefully worded and considered an extension of the joke concerned, but I still found it irritating.

For me though, this still leaves a pretty big, unresolved hole in the storyline and continuity. It's kind of like jumping straight from the evacuation of ice planet Hoth to the celebration at the end of Return of the Jedi and expecting the viewers to just accept that some stuff happened in the interim and the Empire lost.

I would appreciate an official resolution to the cliffhanger, I know it's not essential to my enjoyment of any future series, but in the interests of linking up the storyline and continuity, I would like to see it, if only to satisfy my own curiosity as to whether Doug can write his way out of his own cliffhanger and what happened to the rest of the crew. Afterall, the whole premise of Red Dwarf is that Lister is the last human, it's kind of undermined by the idea when we know around 1,100 others evacuated Red Dwarf at the end of Series VIII.