10 THINGS YOU WANT FOR SERIES XI?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RECTUMfacedPYGMY, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I would find it funny if they somehow explained the crews whereabouts like they're all locked away in 'The Tank' on Floor 13 and Rimmer was in charge of looking after them but managed to somehow kill them all again, like it was cruel fate (like in 'The Time Machine') or something?

Just some throwaway line like it was nothing would be fine.

Explaining these things with a gag is the way to go if anything.

Oh and (pathetic mode) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN I HAVE A TICKET TO THE TAPING OF A SHOW PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?

2. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I guess the series VIII cliffhanger is similar to the previous cliffhangers we've had that have been explained, but not actually featured or had much of an impact. The series II cliffhanger was explained but had absolutely no bearing on the show's future (apart from Holly's sex change and Kryten remaining on board). The series VI cliffhanger had no bearing apart from the Starbug crew surviving (and somehow remembering). But I guess there was too much time between VIII and BTE that it's rendered unimportant. Just imagine in BTE if there had been some scrolling text describing Rimmer saving the day etc, followed by "9 years later". I guess this is just making an excuse, but I don't really care for a resolution. Red Dwarf has shown in the past that it doesn't care much for continuity. Though, when we first saw Hogey and thought he was actually an evil simulant-enhanced Hollister I was definitely excited.

But, what else would I want for series XI? I thought the episode balance for RDX was great, and would love to keep it similar. Especially an episode like Dear Dave. Whilst it was the weakest of the series, I do like that it is reminiscent in feel of series I and II - the crew just having a regular day on the ship. Very brave to try an episode like this and would love to see a similar episode in XI.

3. themec666

themec666 Skutter

Dwayne Dibbly
    Scutters
    Starbug
    Holly
    Computer Games
    Simulants
    more aliens
    Ace Rimmer

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

No aliens, Red Dwarf does not and never has had aliens.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

the idea of Duane Dibbley returning is better then the reality of it, which is bound to disappoint

6. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

than! Talkie Toaster, it's "than"!!

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

One! Seymour Clufley, you only need to use one explaination mark!

Repeating the same punctuation does not indicate a greater level of enthusiasm any more than if one were to type "enthusiasm enthusiasm". It's simply reiterating the same point twice.

Repeating the same punctuation does not indicate a greater level of enthusiasm any more than if one were to type "enthusiasm enthusiasm". It's simply reiterating the same point twice. ;-)

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Freeborn! It's "exclamation mark"! :roll:

9. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

OBJECTION
    Red Dwarf doesn't have aliens!

10. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Just to be clear, I only used two exclamation marks so as to create a jokey tone, so that TT wouldn't be offended. But it really does annoy me when people write "then" instead of "than". Surely it is no effort to read over what you've typed.

11. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I think your all getting in a fuss over nothing.

(Yes, that was intentional)

12. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

Step arguing!! We need too step arguing!! It's nun of you're business it him's spelling + grammar is write.

13. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Maybe I'm on my own here, but here's what I want for XI. It's not a whole ten things, just these -

1. Characters to remember their history. The Lister-Rimmer relationship evolved hugely over the series. In X it was like they'd forgotten all that character development and gone straight back to series I. Same with Kryten's personality development.

2. No actual swearing. We have great words like smeg and goit to use instead.

3. Fewer dark moments. Kicking people out of airlocks to implied horrific death from vacuum exposure is a little heavy for RD.

4. Plot development!!! Doug's tease at the end of episode six was very clever and made me laugh, but I would actually like to find out what happened between Only the Good and Back to Earth. Also, some explanation of what version of the ship it is in X, what happened to its crew, or how we got to be on it, etc etc etc

The comedy in X was great. No complaints there. Likewise, the fanboy in me would love to see Holly, but if it doesn't work for the stories then that's cool. Bringing back other characters is risky as others have said but if it works, do it, if it doesn't, don't!! The four points above were the only real issues for me.

14. beansy1982

beansy1982 Third Technician

I sat and watched ten again a few times now I think I enjoyed it more second time round. Maybe the first time around I was too excited ha ha!
    I think 11 will be much better because having watched the making of on the DVD you can see they had a lot of problems regarding funding etc with location filming being scrapped I can only imagine doug is going to go back to ideas he previously had!
    I don't really like what lister is wearing I prefer the quirky t shirts and I really don't like vending machines, iam glad to hear he is getting a head start on writing scripts I know the story lines can be better.
    Don't bother bringing kochanski back it's better with just the lads!
    I think the big laughs come from kryten these days iam sure we will have a big kryten ep coming
    Roll on red dwarf 11

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

See I'm of the other school of thought. I think Red Dwarf is full of dark moments from the actual vacuum exposure death of confidence in series 1 to the inquisitor killing alternate version of Lister and Kryten (and the antics with a severed hand that follow!), the crew almost committing suicide in Back to Reality and the actual deaths of the characters and dark future selves in Out of Time.

We're talking about a show that within the first two acts of its pilot episode is drawing humour from the death of everybody on board!

If anything I'd say that Red Dwarf has been lacking in darkness since Rob Grant left and I actually liked the genuine sense of threat that the Pree airlock scene gave...a pity that it was ruined by the decision to edit inane audience laughter over the top of it! I don't care whether that was a genuine reaction to a screening of that scene or not, it should not have been included for a scene that was basically implying the potential death of Lister! Similarly while the crew initially panicked about Lister's plight I didn't like the way they simply settled down happily when they thought they were safe for ninety years and made no real efforts to get Lister back. Good job that the scene that followed with Howard Goodall's rousing theme was probably my favourite bit of the episode.

EDIT: in retrospect I realise you're could be talking about the airlock scene in Entangled not the one in Fathers and Suns. I agree that was a lot darker but I thought it worked for such an obviously disposable character and we've seen stuff like this before (Timeslides ending springs to mind).

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Whilst we have had some good made up expletives, the odd occasional swear word has been in Red Dwarf more or less from the start, for example Rimmer's exclamation of "Bastard!" in Waiting For God, Lister's "Let's get out there and twat it" from Polymorph, there are more than a few occasions and to be honest so long as it's not excessive and is in character for the situation I don't really have a problem with it.

17. beansy1982

I think the odd humorous swear word doesn't hurt plus let's face it four men on a ship it's likely there would be some colourful language!

"It's my duty, my duty as a complete and utter bastard"

18. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Hmm yeah you guys make good points. Still the swearing and dark moments seemed to go a great deal further in X than ever before.

My first point about the apparently absent past character development was my biggest issue.

19. beansy1982

I know what u mean it feels almost like a stand alone series in terms of lack of continuity in both characters and plot lines. The lack of continuity has annoyed me in the past but its just the way doug is I guess!
    Like when lister said rimmer shouted mummy mummy when he died whereas we all know it was guspatcho soup! It's odd when he does these things

20. beansy1982

I know what u mean it feels almost like a stand alone series in terms of lack of continuity in both characters and plot lines. The lack of continuity has annoyed me in the past but its just the way doug is I guess!
    Like when lister said rimmer shouted mummy mummy when he died whereas we all know it was guspatcho soup! It's odd when he does these things