10 THINGS YOU WANT FOR SERIES XI?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RECTUMfacedPYGMY, Dec 16, 2012.

1. beansy1982

beansy1982 Third Technician

I know what u mean it feels almost like a stand alone series in terms of lack of continuity in both characters and plot lines. The lack of continuity has annoyed me in the past but its just the way doug is I guess!
    Like when lister said rimmer shouted mummy mummy when he died whereas we all know it was guspatcho soup! It's odd when he does these things

2. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Oh yeah, that reminds me!!!

5. No mentioning light bees in one episode then walking through solid walls in the next!!!!!!! :twisted::twisted::evil::twisted::evil:

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

according to doug on twitter lister was just taking the smeg.

its almost a desperate attempt from doug to talk up the past, usually stuff we already know and squeeze jokes out of it but clearly there wasn't any that time, which doug really shouldn't do but seems to do alot

its something 1-6 rarely ever did

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

on twitter doug says its projection mode (which its called in the episode also), which means light bee can go through walls apparently

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Even if you mention "soft light projection mode" as being a thing in the accompanying expository dialogue?

6. Baxters_Hooch

Somehow managed to miss that... handy to be able to project through solid matter :-D

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Well he was able to go through that table in Stasis leak...

8. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

In stasis leak he was still in red dwarf where presumably he could brr projected anywhere as long as there was a protector, on erra he was being projected through opaque matter on another ship. Fair enough if there had been a window he could have gone through add a blurry version of himself but a solid opaque metal wall... Don't buy it. That said, its dwarf and I love it so I'll let it slide :-p

9. dodgebizkit

Opens up a new can if worms though why does he use door ways when he can escape any situation or that by running through walls?

10. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Most of that can be explained away by them discovering newer, more advanced holograms as they get closer to earth. Remember Rimmer is dismissed by the Captain of the Enlightenment as "One of the old Class II's, I didn't realise there were any of you left around." implying that to them, which were around Kryten's level of technology he was decidedly obsolescent.

It stands to reason as they get nearer earth, the technology they encounter will be more and more advanced, so I'd say Rimmer in Series I and II represent a Class I, dependant on the Ship or transport vessel or a projection cage, then we have soft light Class II's which encounter a more advanced soft light from the Enlightenment, eventually they encounter experimental hard light (Legion), then they encounter holograms that can project their state. I'd assume that soft and hard light projection, external of the light bee is the most advanced hologram that they've encountered, but that this drains the onboard batteries and can't be sustained for long.

That Holly can apparently generate multiple holograms in Stasis Leak can be explained by the Stasis Leak itself, if Holy can be generated through the stasis leak to a wrist-watch, so can the holograms too.a

11. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

It's a bizarre one. As you say, when encountering the Holoship Enlightenment Rimmer is out of date. Perhaps they do upgrade him. After all, I doubt that the Enlightenment is a collection of light bees buzzing around - and they did "take" Rimmer, presumably without his light bee. Kryten said the ship had no mass at all - surely the light bees would have registered. Perhaps holograms, including the crew of the Enlightenment, have moved beyond having to use physical forms at all somehow.

This is all complete speculation though and doesn't explain why we see Rimmer's light bee (so he's still using it, on both the Trojan and Red Dwarf IIRC) in Trojan, and then he's suddenly able to walk through the wall in Entangled, presumably without his light bee. I tend to think - hey, it's Red Dwarf, why not?

12. Baxters_Hooch

This kind of comes back to Ed Bye's ''we invented the time wand, we made it up'' quote. There's a degree of 'meh it's RD' but at the same time if we establish a concept like the light bee then it'd be good to bring that up, maybe using it as a chance to parody sci-fi shows with a line about falling through floors or something like that. I missed the 'projection mode' line on twitter so I guess that changes it a bit, but putting that in the script wouldn't have been hard. Or a scene where they forget about it and it hits the door, forcing them to find another route in. :-p

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

It is in the script, they actually say it in the show. Admittedly a lot of people missed it first time round, myself included, but it is there.

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

doug doesn't translate whats in his head very well on screen sometimes

the characters actually say projection mode alot in that scenes, suppose its to make sure we hear it but i always found this line from Rimmer to be odd

"and then once i'm in switch back to hard light projection mode"

it just seems like that line didn't need to be there as they could just have had him say "switching back to hard light" when he was in the vault

15. adamclark83

adamclark83 Third Technician

I would want Chloe back as Kochanski.

16. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I don't mind the whole "projection mode" thing, but what annoys me about that scene is when Rimmer does his wibbly movement (with sound effect) once he comes out of the vault, suggesting that he is changing back into hard light mode. Yet he had already changed into hardlight mode when inside the vault.

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I didn't even notice that!

Anyway, I wonder if the way projection mode works is that ships and stations all have these holographic emitters in the walls or ceiling. Something to back this up would be the episode Quarantine where Lister and co commandeer Rimmer's 'remote projection unit'* so they can bring back the other hologram. Instead of vanishing as you might expect, Rimmer just goes back to the ship in one of Starbug's escape pods suggesting there are other emitters apart from the light bee that can sustain him as long as he doesn't leave the ship or one of it's shuttle crafts/pods. (I'm not too clear why he wasn't just switched off in Starbug, and switched on in Red Dwarf, but that might be so that he retains his sense of continuity. Right up until they switch him off, and replace him with Professor Nutjob, anyway.)

Anyway, what I think probably happened in Enganglement (or whatever it's called) was:

Kryten switches Rimmer to soft-light projection mode. This means either the light bee projected him this side of the vault door or he was transferred to holo-emitters on the space station. Either way, it doesn't really matter, we know that with his light bee he has something to sustain his hologram this side of the vault door. (I suspect the signal itself was till run from the light bee, the emitters simply projected his image.) The moment he steps through the door (or rather appears to step through) holo-emitters within the vault** are used to project his imgage. Of course they would have to have hard-light capability too, but the first episode of X suggests hardlight holograms became universal not too long after the Dwarfer's time period.

I suppose it's possible that his light bee would project the signal through the wall itself, but considering how light is deflected from surfaces, I'm not sure how that would be possible. Mind you, I'm not sure how bending light back on itself would be possible either, without massive black hole levels of gravity, but they seem to have that technology in Red Dwarf. It makes more sense to me that the emitters on the station would be utilised.

*which I assume must be the light bee.

**Being an advanced space station*** that it makes sense these would exist everywhere a crew member wishes to go.

**Okay, under-advanced when considering the scientists working there, but they wouldn't have created the holo emitters.

18. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Yeah the idea that all ships have mandatory holo projectors built in is what I was going with as well (explains how Lister walks through Rimmer in series 1). Then to wander about outwith the ship or in the cargo decks etc... then either the cage or the light bee is required.

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Cat's nipples 8)

20. dodgebizkit

The light bee was a ret con in the first place, purely to get rimmer to wax world, hence the cage thing in series 2