10 THINGS YOU WANT FOR SERIES XI?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RECTUMfacedPYGMY, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

You're probably right. I retroactively consider it to have been used as far back as Backwards, although it's not mentioned.

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i believe the light bee was first mentioned in the Better than life novel which was before season 4 was released, whether that makes a difference to you or not

3. beansy1982

beansy1982 Third Technician

This all makes interesting reading
    The rimmer light bee scenario is typical of red dwarf inconsistencies. It can easily be explained away but as sci fi fans we like attention to detail.
    So with that in mind would we like it to be more consistent in series 11?
    I've been watching a lot of old series recently and they just feel like the story lines capture my imagination more, if doug is hard at work already then iam sure he is going to come up with a couple of classics. Lets hope no more light bee troubles ha ha

:-D:-D:-D

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Would it make it funnier to have a 'consistent light bee'?!? :roll:

5. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Actually, it was pretty early on in "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers".

6. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

wouldn't it be crazy to create a "dark bee" rimmer's dark side made from black light our dark matter? There are so many ways it could go without being predictable or a rip off of angels and demons or confidence and paranoia. Also it could have callbacks to those episodes.

7. simulant37

Interesting idea, I do like alternate universe versions of the cast & I bet the actors like playing these characters. . .

8. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

Somebody Photoshop this immediately!

9. Prime8

Prime8 Skutter

1. Go back and rescue Lister's Les Paul or have him get a new guitar, someone else on board Red Dwarf must have had one.

2. NO MORE KOCHANSKI! She was fine in the first 6 series because she was rarely seen, but bringing her back full time and played by a different actress was a huge mistake. Maybe they can find her but then she gets killed off or something like that, or perhaps they just never find her. It's a big Universe and if she left on such bad terms as talked about in "Back To Earth" then it wouldn't be too hard for her to disappear completely and never be found.

3. Less episodes like "Fathers and Suns" and "Dear Dave" as I personally found those the weakest in the series.

4. Bring back Ed Bye as Director and maybe at least talk to Rob Grant about coming back.

5. I think we can safely say that Holly is dead. With that in mind though, I wouldn't mind seeing them install a new computer system that doesn't end up trying to kill them and is essentially just an "upgraded" version of a Holly like program. Although the character would be better off just making occasional appearances or throwing in some information here or there.

6. I'd like to see some kind of Red Dwarf/Doctor Who cross over episode. Maybe not as part of either series but maybe for Comic Relief or Children In Need.

7. It'd be nice to have another episode going into the origins of the Cat species, maybe find out what happened to the 2nd Ark.

8. Keep it live! The guys work best in front of a live audience. The lack of live audience was another (along with Kochanski) draw back of Series 7. While it meant they could be more creative with camera angles and lighting effects, it somehow lost some of it's "reality"...which is strange because real life generally doesn't have people laughing over it.

9. Long live the model shots! CGI can work really well, but for what it costs to do it right, your better off sticking to model shots and maybe enhancing them with some CGI.

10. The show needs to go on for as long as possible. We got cheated out of over 10 years worth of Red Dwarf thanks to the movie that never happened. I don't want series 10 or 11 to be the end. I want it to keep going until the actors just can't do it anymore. Is that selfish? Yes, but as long as they can keep making it at the level of series 10 then there is no reason to stop.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Good post, although I don't like the idea of the crossover with Doctor Who.

And I'd actually like to see Kochanski back. Not for the entire series perhaps but she should have a couple of episodes under her belt.

Then again I never disliked the character like many fans, although I can understand why they do. I think much of her bad reception was coloured by the fact she replaced another well loved character in 7. And the fact she was a bit of a madam didn't help although I don't think she was nearly as bad as some make out. Much of her reaction was due to the negative circumstances she suddenly found herself, and considering this I think a lot of women, posh or otherwise, would have reacted much worse.

In series 8, when Rimmer had returned, both those supposedly negative characteristics (poshness and shirtyness) were toned down and she was better liked. Series 8 had it's issues (more than 7 in my opinion) but I suspect Kochanski was the least of them if she figures at all.

As for breaking the premise of the show of a small group of guys alone in space, that hasn't been completely true for a good while. Sure most of the other characters seemed to want to suck out their brains in some way or wipe them out of existence altogether, but... :-D

As the lyrics of the end credits say "I'm all alone, more or less". While I suspect the 'more' referred originally to Rimmer and the Cat, it can include one more. It already has with Kryten. I doubt Krissie will just fall into Dave's arms and all his dreams will be fulfilled after all. She's not that kind of girl and it's not (quite*) that kind of programme.

Um... here endethetheth my Sunday essay. I might have gotten a bit carried away there.

*Cos I think Mr. Naylor is a bit big soft at heart. And the ultimate ending will probably be (more or less) happy. If we ever get an ending.

11. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

One way of tying up both the Kochanski and Series 8 story line and cliff-hanger would be if they discovered that she'd found her way to the planet that just happened to have been colonised by the survivors of the Series 8 crew and she'd settled down with Tim. They wouldn't even necessarily need to show any of it, it could just be one last mail pod with a message from Kochanski.

I know it wouldn't be that satisfying for those who'd like to see a "Happily ever after" ending for Lister, but still...

I would say though:

Hell no. Partly I guess because I'm not a fan of Dr Who at all, but except as a very short sketch for something like comic relief (Like you said), this sounds terrible.

12. Frankensteincat

Frankensteincat Skutter

That is well an all but it still dose not answer how Rimmer is back in the picture (dose he give up being Ace) & how Red Dwarf is untouched by the virus. It would be great to see what they could come with. As the deleted original ending (on disc 3 of series VIII) makes more sense than the current one.

But I do think at cat should get his own story as the others have had theirs.

13. whatthesmeg

whatthesmeg First Technician

I'm here , I'm there , I'm everywhere , so beware!
    I want series XI to venture from within the confines of Red Dwarf and visit more Alien Worlds. Series X was a little claustrophobic for my liking. Also where did Holly go and is he ever to making an appearance again? Not too sure of the Cats hairstyle and would like the old one back and I do wished they'd reprise Dwayne Dibbley somehow as I miss his overbite terribly not to mention his superb fashion sense.:P

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Holly's absence is explained in the first episode of Back to Earth, Lister left a bath running for ages (I think it's mentioned as years but I'm not 100% as BtE is the "Series" I'm least likely to revisit) and it eventually flooded taking Holly off line.

Outside of an in-universe explanation, Norman Lovett also had a pretty public borderline meltdown about being dropped from BtE so we're unlikely to see Holly return, unless he/she has another headswap, although to be fair I think RDX showed that they don't really need Holly anymore.

Personally, I think Dwayne Dibley has been pretty much done now, I wouldn't be too fussed about seeing yet another return.

Nanobots did it. There, job done. ;-)

15. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

I want too see more of the ship in the next series its 6 miles long they could have a awesome adventure just on the Dwarf. The Starbug needs to come back with the original cockpit please..And the iconic scene of the Starbug leaving the Red Dwarf like from series 3 to 5 would be great.

The models are back use them. The blue midget looked so new in x like it had just been made with the cockpit I still love the original Blue midget from series 2 3. Go back to the officers bunk room too, with some classic bunk room scenes with Rimmsy and Listy we had none of that in x. :P

16. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

I believe Rimmer says "Lister left a bath running in the Officer's Quarters for nine years. Not a nice way to be woken..."

17. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

All I want for XI is more of the same!

18. simulant37

Well you will be pleased to know, the episodes for RD XI are as follows. . .

Trojan 2
    Fathers and Suns 2
    Lemons 2
    Entangled 2
    Dear Dave 2
    The Beginning 2

19. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Cos he's a troll!!! 'RIP RED DWARF' :x:x:x:x:x

20. simulant37

Wrong, I am NOT a troll. . .:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x