2.3 mill viewers down to 1.3 mill by Easter...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by GuffyGuy, Apr 14, 2009.

1. GuffyGuy

GuffyGuy Second Technician

Clickhere to view my source, I find these figures very interesting. Although truthfully I have no idea what to make of them.

Did 1 million viewers give up on Red Dwarf because they didn't like it? It's actually my understanding that MORE that 2.3 million people watched Red Dwarf on Good Friday if you take the repeats into consideration. Nothing like the nearly 9 million heyday of series 8 but those aren't figures to be sniffed at. Also, do you think the figures would be higher had it stayed on BBC2?

Lemmie know what you think...

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

loads of people watched it because of the hype and publicity it got, everyone was proberly expecting another doctor who type thing, but the first episode turned out quite slow and i think alot of people just just gave up after the first episode

i believe it shouldnt of been a 3 parter, that was a huge mistake

3. davemint

davemint Skutter

Other "good" programs such as Britain's got talent etc would have made a dent in the viewers also, even I nearly forgot to turn over at 9:shock:

4. shakeyspear

shakeyspear Skutter

Yes, the first ep was a bit slow perhaps and the second one probably suffered by the 'breaking the fourth wall' idea, that our beloved Dwarfers and all their past adventures might not be 'real' (as strange as that sounds), but viewers should have stuck with it to see how ep 3 played out, they needed to see the bigger picture which, in the end, all turned out really rather good.

5. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

like i stated yesterday i think the decision to split it really hurt it. casual viewers (like all members of my family) - decided not to tune into days 2 and 3 - mostly because they thought the pace of part 1 was too slow and didnt catch their interest. i am curious at what point it was known for a fact that it would have to be split? perhaps at a point it was too late to make part 1 - "pacier". however i find dougs comments about "fans will hate me until..pt 3" etc interesting - this would seem to indicate it really was pitched at the core fanbase? - which also seems to be a mistake because both casual viewers of the show and new viewers had nothing to grab them. not to mention most of my family had never even seen bladerunner - so as cool as the references were - they just didnt care.

6. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

i am certainly no expert on the subject and agree the numbers still look good for dave - can someone with some possible knowledge share some insight? what would be the kind of numbers that would really make some tv execs take note? was this around par? way above or below expected etc? im curious as to what was predicted. i am hoping some clueless executive somewhere didnt promise the 8m bbc2 got for s8 premiere!

7. smegthat

smegthat Third Technician

I almost gave up after part 2, glad part 3 redeemed it and part one was pretty good imo.

8. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I think that, realistically speaking, the ratings have been a huge success. You have to take into account that the record for a digital channel outside of the main 5 is only 2.6. Dave's was 1.0, so Dwarf beat that, and lets not forget Dave is a popular channel. The fact is that television is in a completely different place to the days of Dwarf getting 8mil, and with that in mind it was a historic success.

You'd imagine it would be enough to warrant another series. I'm sure it would have gotten an even higher rating on the BBC - I wouldn't argue by much, mind. But definitely higher.

9. GuffyGuy

Well to help put it in perspective. On Saturday Red Dwarf's ratings were 1.7 million. Britain's Got Talent got a much larger audience of 10.3 million, while the Doctor Who special drew in 8.4 million. Hmm.

10. MacabreMagpie

Well, let's put it in actual perspective rather than the perspective of a complete moron.

Red Dwarf is a cult sci-fi show that last aired 10 years ago.
    Britains Got Talent and Dr Who both appeal to a wider range of target audience and were on channels that are available to many more viewers.
    The record amount of viewers for digital channels is 2.4 million. Red Dwarf (after 10 years) got 2.2 million and beat Dave's all time records with all 3 episodes.
    Ergo, you're a fool.

11. GuffyGuy

Yikes, the Red Dwarf fans on this webboard have changed into a firey bunch since I was last here. If you think that looking at the facts of the night makes you a moron then I throw my hands up. Guilty as changed. I'm a moron Next intelligent comment if you should be so kind...

I'm sure Doug Naylor will be looking at those figures with great intrest, i've already said that Red Dwarfs 1.3 million was nothing to be sniffed at. I was very impressed with the 2.3 million. I just want to hear other peoples thoughts on the matter.

Would it have been better off as a one-off special?
    Has Dave damaged the raitings or would they be the same as on the BBC?

Prat.

12. MacabreMagpie

To be fair, you put the ratings side by side as if to make the point that they were not very good, without putting them in context, when in actual fact they were a milestone for digital tv. Thus, your point was misleading because the sizes of the reachable audiences, and not to mention the range of audiences that the shows appeal to was not mentioned. My reply wasn't intended as a personal attack, I was making an exaggeration like you did.

13. GuffyGuy

Well, we'd better kiss and make up then before the kids notice anything strange. x

14. johnhether

johnhether Skutter

Remember to show your support for a new series at

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=81568169055&ref=ts

15. bot_manga

bot_manga Skutter

Did 1 million viewers give up on Red Dwarf because they didn't like it? It's actually my understanding that MORE that 2.3 million people watched Red Dwarf on Good Friday if you take the repeats into consideration. Nothing like the nearly 9 million heyday of series 8 but those aren't figures to be sniffed at. Also, do you think the figures would be higher had it stayed on BBC2?

Lemmie know what you think...

i think if it was on bbc it would of had better rating a lot more people can get bbc 2 then dave