3 million Years

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Nov 5, 2017.

1. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I know one of the major plot lines is that they are 3 million Years into deep space, but what if they weren't.
    What if Holly got it wrong? (Not unheard of)
    And they are only afew centuries or thousand years ahead. Earth could still be populated and Lister not the last human.
    Does any other character state that they are millions of years since Listers time period?.

FeeBee likes this.
  2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Another character did in XI, but I've probably said too much already given XI is still under spoiler sanction.

It is curious that they've never found any evidence of humanity later than the 28th century. Possibly that's when humanity died out, at least in deep-space. Or possibly they're still in the 28th century as per your theory.

FeeBee likes this.
  3. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I feel like the boys would have known better than to totally trust Holly about such a revelation. The resurrected crew in Series VIII confirm that they are 3 million years into the future. I guess it could be a case of Holly putting the clocks forward but... meh... no, I think we're too invested in the idea now to back track from it.

Also bear in mind that the Felis Sapien race isn't going to have evolved from the household cat to near extinction in the space of a few hundred years.

FeeBee and jmc2000 like this.
  4. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Well, the new VIII crew would absolutely have miscalibrated equipment given the suddenness of their appearance, their new position, and the time passed. Kryten, the only one who was alive throughout that time, clearly has no sense of time for much of it since he should have known the human lifespan, unless they died upon the crash and he had only been operating around them for a hundred or so years when they found him. It's not all that unreasonable.

5. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

But the Felis Sapien race? That kind of evolution should take more than a few hundred years. 1-2 million years ago, "humans" were barely walking upright.

Frankly, I'd be disappointed in Doug if that was used as a "get out" to tie the story up. For it to be one of the earliest themes in the show, to backtrack on it would be seriously lazy writing. Might as well just have Lister waking up after 6 months in stasis and the last 30 years of Red Dwarf just be a dream.

FeeBee, BigOleDummy and Abe like this.
  6. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Not just evolved but evolved to the point of building a civilization and constructing Starships. The Cats I mean.

FeeBee and Chris D like this.
  7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Felis Sapiens could have had accelerated evolution because of the radiation, per a comic-book interpretation of radiation's effects.

FeeBee likes this.
  8. BigOleDummy

True, but that would imply an accelerated metabolism too. Cat hasn't aged faster than the rest of the crew at all.

FeeBee likes this.
  9. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Quite the opposite thanks to the ever youthful DJJ.

FeeBee, BigOleDummy and Pembers like this.
  10. BigOleDummy

Not really my point but EXACTLY! :-D

FeeBee likes this.