8 episodes or 6?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by AgentBauer, Apr 16, 2009.

1. AgentBauer

AgentBauer Third Technician

What do people think, should a new series of Red Dwarf comprise of 6 episodes or 8? Is 6 the best route as it doesn't put as much presure on the writers, therefore you get less episodes but of better quality and are more likely to go down in Dwarf history as classics. Or do you have 8 episodes and run the risk that the extra production preasures might produce less well developed stories? I'm a fan of series 7 and 8 and they managed the 8 episode format just fine, also having the extra two episodes allows for more characterisation and more complex story telling, i.e. two or three parters. What do you think?

2. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I'd rather have 6 quality scrips than 8 sub par ones. But Doug seems to be writing longer stories recently, lot's of 2 and 3 parters so I'm not sure 6 shows would equal 6 stories

3. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

One big one, it's called a film!

4. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

However many it takes to bring about a decent resolution to Red Dwarf. Send the boys out with a bang before it becomes stale and sub-standard

5. Kaluss

Kaluss Third Technician

I just think red dwarf works best as an episodic show. Working well as a movie.. i'm not sure.. perhaps. I suppose BTE was written like a movie rather than three episodes but i did think it was stretched a little thin over three parts. I think to start with dwarf needs to get back into what made it great in the first place, weekly episodes that are so far apart from each other that you have no idea how the boys are going to smeg it up each time.

I agree six quality shows would be better than 8 sub quality. Although if we can get quality shows for 8, i'd be up for that!

I suppose it depends on budget, time, actor availability and of course if Doug gets other writers in to assist. I wouldn't like to see them try to stretch the budget out for 8 if it will be perfect for 6.

6. Kaluss

Kaluss Third Technician

My opinion is they need to get the brand back into massive popularity for a few series before even thinking about trying for a movie again. We all know what happened straight after series 8 and the movie still didn't get made and while that was happening the show's popularity slowly faded from the mass audiences. I don't want to see that happen again..

7. Stasisleak

Stasisleak Skutter

I'd like to see 6 episodes in a series. With a balance of say 2 of them being story driven and the others being totally independant and have no impact on the overall story.

For example, the early series had lots of independant episodes such as 'thanks for the memory' 'marooned'& 'camille' Where are the more recent series have had linked episodes that have been significant in the overall Red Dwarf story.

I think this would provide a good mixture

8. Kingy78

Kingy78 Third Technician

The more the better 8)

Ian.

9. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

As many good episodes as they can make with whatever budget they are given!

10. nealos1

nealos1 Third Technician

i used to think that
    just stick to 6 if you run low on ideas
    but then i've just seen what they can do with only one episode after 10 years
    *i mean that in a negative way* as in i'm one of the back to earth haters