90 minutes from the sun?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by dodgebizkit, Oct 14, 2012.

1. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

If red dwarf is 90 minutes away from a sun, and we assume that this sun is our sun, they can't be far from earth. Of cours, if it isn't, they'll never reach earth in listers lifetime... Not sure if it was picked up on, or even thought through by Doug, but what if it was? I think it's an interesting point.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It wasn't our Sun, just a random sun.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

If they were 90 minutes away from a sun...any sun...they'd be dead already, so i don't think its really worth analysing too deeply.

It's like explosions in space. They're just there for dramatic effect.

4. bedfordfalls

On reflection I think this is why they said ninety minutes away from the "melting point" aka the point of no return, rather than the actual sun's surface.

5. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

These sorts of threads make my brain make funny noises first thing in the morning :?

6. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Does anyone know why Pree "miscalculated" and said "90 years", then "90 minutes". Was she just toying with the crew?

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I just assumed it was a joke that derives its humour from the fact that the the three of them went from despair to relief and then back to despair again.

8. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I had to explain to my dad recently that every star in the sky is a sun, which he met with initial disbelief.

I suspect a similar conversation is in order here :-p

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

actually some of those sparkly specks we see in the sky are other planets in the solar system

10. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Actually, I think this is (technically) wrong! The word "sun" is meant to refer to a star with orbiting planets. So about 10-15% of the stars you see in the sky.

In the context of RD, it probably does, however, mean "star," but to the layperson this does not seem anywhere near as threatening as a sun, as we can relate to this.

This didn't really need to be stated. It is a joke, but Seymour was asking quite reasonably why the miscalculation occurred as in, was she intentionally being sinister.

11. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

12. TownYsend

TownYsend Skutter

I think we can go with Pree being sinister. I can't imagine her still being professional while calling something "Operation sizzle."

Evil smile somewhere in there too.

13. Slainmonkey

I think it was Pree's idea of what constitutes as a sense of humour. She operates under what she sees as a logical course of action in a cold and emotionless way. That's why she deactivated herself when she couldn't see a flaw in Lister's logic.......she isn't intending to be vindictive but her cold harsh logic and predictive capabilities are a dangerous thing when in the hands of space bums like the Dwarfers......I think it's actually interesting how she predicts the crews actions while never really understanding them.

14. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Actually, this was something I noticed but didn't bring up earlier... Surely JMC regulations would not allow total destruction of everything on B-deck - while you can attribute this to Pree's predictive capability overriding these regulations, surely this would happen when the same regulations told her to eject Lister and destroy the ship?

15. Slainmonkey

Maybe but I guess by Pree's logic she is returning to nothing so without Lister (who was no longer crew their for an unnecessary drain of supplies) all they were now was a source if waste and pollution that served no real purpose.....that was the impression I got form Pree's action. While Lister was still crew he was under Pree's protection, however my guess that JMC don't view non-human lifeforms, Holograms and Mechanoids to the same importance as a human.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I didn't suggest that Seymour was being unreasonable, did I?

17. newkemall

newkemall Third Technician

What? Being "90 minutes away" means nothing. It just means it will take 90 minutes to get there from where ever they are travelling at what ever speed they happen to be able to travel. It says nothing about the distance they are from the sun at all. They could be right next to it if they travel slow enough or the other side of the galaxy if they travel faster than light. Being "90 minutes away" is a meaningless piece of information unless you know the speed or distance which we do not.

18. Slainmonkey

It was said that they were 90 minutes away from the "melting point" of the sun.....it's actually said in the episode itself, I find it unlikely that the Red Dwarf could even make it to the sun itself.

19. TownYsend

TownYsend Skutter

Great points made in the last few comments. Just thinking though, is Cat actually a listed crew member? If not, surely Pree would see him as using the oxygen too? And if he is, how does Pree see him as expendable?

I assume Kryten is registered though as he tried to log through a locked door in The Inquisitor as "Additional 001."

20. bedfordfalls

Pree did rather ignore Cat in the episode. I think the five minutes wasted on unclear ironic racism would have been better invested in a Cat/Pree scene.