A blatant clue (spoilers)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Mike_Scrase_BSC, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Mike_Scrase_BSC

Mike_Scrase_BSC Skutter

So... big tentically thing that lives in water shows up, and soon afterwards the crew believes they're fictional.

Sound familiar?

I had a quick look around to see if anyone had brought this up, and was surprised when I didn't find anyone mentioning it, but it seems to me that Lister n' the boys may very well have had a suicide squid in their midst.

Anyone agree?

2. kebabstylee

kebabstylee Skutter

"It's a blatant clue isn't it?! Blatant!"

That did come to mind for me aswell, but I think it would be too much of a re-treading. They wouldn't want to cheat us! I think possibly it's in there as a red herring.

3. Mike_Scrase_BSC

Mike_Scrase_BSC Skutter

Yeah, I thought it might be a red herring too, but either way I really doubt it's a coincidence.

It makes sense to me though because the average casual viewer wouldn't think of it, but since Back to Reality's one of the most popular RD episodes, if that turns out to be a twist, it wouldn't be so hard to jog peoples' memories, or explain it to new viewers.

To be honest it would be a big bummer if the crew just turned out to be fictional. So I definitely think there's going to be some kind of twist ending.

4. kebabstylee

kebabstylee Skutter

Couple more interesting points (currently watching the repeat of episode 2:-(

In the scene in the shop, when the shop dude explains that Lister was sitting in the bath tub in series 9 when Kryten tells him that Kochanski was sucked out of the airlock, Kryten goes all bashful in the background.. as if it was a lie - ties in with what the ginger girl said.

Also, they call this squid a Leviathan. Was the Leviathan not the name of the ship they were scavenging/inspecting when they encountered the despair squid? It was the name of one of the ships anyway.

I still don't get this whole thing about there being no series 9 but a possible series 10.. And I don't understand the references to series 9 and 10 in BTE. However - the bloke in the shop says something along the lines of "Loved series 9, loved it. Was the best series". A little hint that Naylor and the rest of the team are keen to do a 9th series?

5. slappyslack

slappyslack Third Technician

dude you are the first person to use that logic about kryten lieing everyone else thinks he killed her!! that aint kryten!

and i think you are right about the leviathan?!

and i still dont get it either but naylor definately said that there will not be a s9 and we will find out after we see BTE so we will find out soon!!

6. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    I think there was a ship called the leviathon but the one in Back to Realiaty was called esparanto or something very similar (Cant remember the prenunciation to spell it right)

7. slappyslack

slappyslack Third Technician

yeah you are right, damnit i should have known that!!

8. kebabstylee

kebabstylee Skutter

Hmm, there was definitely a ship called the Leviathan. It was mentioned by the virus that was killing Lister in s7. Was it the ship where they found the zombified woman (Barbara Bellini?) who bit Lister and gave him the virus?

Edit: My memory is now working. It was the epideme virus and Caroline Carmen. But I'm sure the Leviathan made an appearance earlier than this..

9. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

Leviathan was the ship where the Epideme virus was laying in wait (series 7).

10. Dukem737

Dukem737 Third Technician

So Leviathans carry viruses... Am I on to something?

Probably not. :-D

11. waydomatic

waydomatic Third Technician

Despair squid ship was the 'Esperanto' which means 'hope'. 'Hope defeats despair' etc. ;-)