A fan edit

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jaybo1973, May 4, 2009.

1. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

hi guys

I guess most of you have seen this already, maybe it was one of you who did it? Anyway for those who haven't seen it, check this fan edit of BTE, it streamlines it and sort of makes it more dwarf like. Think he may of gone slightly to far but I think you only get about 10 mins on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNy1CWtniw

2. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

......It's not a very good edit IMO.

3. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I really liked the first scene in the broadcast version, the tomatoe gag was great.
    It's an okay edit but, meh. Only good thing really is the new title sequence, the one on dave felt quite bad to me.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Ha, ha. This just demonstrates how different people like different things. (Not that I'm disagreeing with you. I liked some of what you mentioned too.)

5. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I liked the title sequence and the holy bit. It moved at a better pace but he did over do it a bit. Like I said in the firt post though, i think the max length of a you tube vid is 10 mins

6. PaddyC84

PaddyC84 Second Technician

I like the other video that same director did (it's called Pre-Titles Sequence, like under the video posted in OP) where the Dave logo has been altered slightly...

Dave
    F**k Me, It's New
    And It's Not Top Gear

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

7. DwarferFan

DwarferFan Third Technician

Hello All. This is my first post here on the forum. I've been reading the forum over the last few months & finally decided to join:-D

I'm very interested in this Fanedit, one thing I did notice that I can't work out is the Holly scene. I own all the Series 1-8 & Bodysnatcher DVDs & the only Holly intro scenes I know off are the Black & White ones in Series 1 & 2. Does anyone here know where that colour Holly footage comes from? It's kinda bugging me.

8. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

It's a PBS promo, available on the Series VIII DVD.

9. DwarferFan

Thanks Andrew ;-)

10. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

11. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    I thought it was quite good, but too short. But I love the end credits! I always loved the original series 1-4 end credits. :-D

12. DwarferFan

I found this new edit on a fanedit site, looks pretty interesting.

[​IMG]

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?bf48264869.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's some of the details.

Original film name: Red Dwarf: Back To Earth - The Directors Cut
    Film studio name: Grant Naylor Productions
    Edit name: Red Dwarf: Back To Earth - The Editors Cut
    Date Original Film Was Released: 2009
    Date Edit Was Released: Nov 2009
    Original Runtime: 69 minutes
    New Runtime: 48 minutes
    Amount of time Cut: 21 minutes

Cuts Removed:
    1. Annoying Rimmer Scene
    2. Hall Scene Scene
    3. Kryten & Rimmer Hall Scene
    4. Elevator Scene
    5. Toilet Story Scene
    6. Sofa Scene
    7. Underground Scene
    8. Kids on Bus Scene
    9. Carbug Scene
    10. Corrie Scene
    11. Lister Meets Craig Scene
    12. In The Elevator Scene

There are also minor cuts in the remaining scenes, but I’m not listing those cause there’s too many to list.

Cuts added:
    1. New Opening Credits
    2. New Holly Intro
    3. New End Credits

New Scene Listing
    1. Garden of Remembrance
    2. New Titles
    3. Monster in the water talk
    4. Diving bell
    5. Katerina Bartikovsky
    6. The Replacement
    7. Dimension Cutting
    8. Earth
    9. They Walk Among Us
    10. The Bus
    11. The Big Fish
    12. The Creator
    13. Death Chase
    14. Typing Back
    15. Time To Choose
    16. Back In The Red
    17. New Credits

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Oh dear. Seems like some presumptuous smeggery to me. I do hope the person who did that isn't trying to make money from this.

Some good bits cut out there. The part with the kids on the bus should remain even if one dislikes it (not including me here by the way) as it provides some foreshadowing for the plot.

And I found the toilet gag very funny.

And the Holly intro? That makes a WHOLE lot sense doesn't it?
    [/sarcasm mode]

14. DwarferFan

M'Aiden Ty-One, I found the edit here Fanedit.org. ALL fanedits on this site including this Red Dwarf edit ARE NOT FOR SALE. So this guy is not making a profit from this edit. In fact there's a Warning Message on the DVD stating that it is not for sale. The rule on the site is you must own the original before you can download it & no-one is allowed to sell edits.

Regarding what the guy cut, I'm guessing people are gonna have as much of a mixed reaction as the above edits or the proper version of BTE itself.

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

What terrible choices. I find it hilarious that he/she adds an unecessary Holly intorduction yet cuts out the hugely relevent (not to mention one of the most touching) exposition scenes such as the kids on the bus.

In fact I'd like to say once again how annoying I find people who think that scene shouldn't be included just because the little boy is a bit of an over-actor. Its a brilliant scene that perfectly links into the ending.

16. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I agree. Unbeleivably bad choices !. and yes the kids on the bus scene is imperative to the plot. As M'Aiden brilliantly put it, presumtous smeggery :shock:

17. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

It's one thing cuting scenes when you have already seen the whole thing. If for instance Doug had decided to cut all those scenes BEFORE broadcast then it would of ended up a disjointed plot that would not gel tegether and we probably wouldn't of understood it correctly. As it is now, that everyone's seen the FULL broadcast it's easy to say i would miss this or that out. As much as i didn't like the kids on the bus it was a big part of understanding what was happening.

The one thing i didn't like was the unneccesary need to plug the DVD so much, it seemed to me a lot of the second episode (between the plot) was all about plugging the DVD and Dave TV. I found that a bit patronising as i know i was watching Dave TV, and i know i would buy the DVD when it was released. I was a bit dissapointed at the dvd release info and found it a bit of a rip. I wonder how many would of bought the dvd if the info was released that there would be a Blu ray. I preordered the DVD and also when i knew the Bluray was being released bought that as well. That could of been a genuine afterthough to release the high def version tho. So i'll let GNP off for that.

Haha, what started as sticking up for the full script has turned out to go a bit off topic and be a groan about the dvd's. never mind "The boys from the Dwarf " rule

18. DwarferFan

:lol: It's funny that people are accusing this guy of presumtous smeggery when they haven't actually seen the edit. Surely it's presumtous to dismiss something before you've actually seen it?

But as we've already seen it looks like BTE will be edited in many different ways by many different fans over the coming years so maybe someone will come up with something people here will like.

19. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Nowhere did the show 'plug' the DVD or Dave.

The DVD was used as a plot point - they discover their fate from the sleeve - but the release date wasn't shown on-screen. It was filmed as an in-joke, but felt that might be misunderstood as promotion, so it was framed out of shot on the broadcast show and only appears in the director's cut, which was only viewable ON the DVD AFTER that date, thus rendering it non-promotinal.

And the Dave references were jokes. The kids think the channel is named after their sitcom hero - it's an amusingly little misunderstanding, but Lister, not understanding the world e's in, takes it literally. Which, like having a fan club, reinforces his lost sense of self-worth.

Both ha plot and/or character reasons for their inclusion. There's no point promotion Dave ON Dave, and there's no point plugging a DVD release ON the DVD.