A fan edit

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jaybo1973, May 4, 2009.

1. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

The scenes added and removed were listed though.

Besides, I just think we should stand by the creators version of the show. Part of the 'presumptuous smeggery' accusation was just the fact fans were taking it upon themselves to muck about with it how they saw fit. " I can sort of understand if it involved removing bits that contradict or don't work as far as plot is concerned*, but none of that applies here. It's simply edited according to one person's particular taste. And adding a laugh track in one case (to be fair I don't know if they did that with this version). Adding true canned laughter which the show never did anyway. (It's an actual audience folks!)

*For example I've often thought it would be an interesting project to do an edit of the three Evil Dead films. The start of ED2 contradicts the previous film somewhat, as does the start of Army of Darkness. I wondered how well it would work to chop those bits off, but then I realised it would take a bit of rearranging or removal of other scenes to work properly. For example Ash would see the bridge was broken twice in the concatenated version, as that footage wouldn't be part of the start being excised. And you'd lose some of the relevance of the 'dancing ghoul' gag, as you'd lose the scene where Ash plays the piano earlier.

However, that's purely plot related. I wouldn't remove scenes that I disliked.

2. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Is it not rather presumtous to assume that everyone replying here hasn't seen it ?. And even without seeing it, it's clear to see whats been cut. most people here know those scenes off by heart. and to have 21 mins of cuts ?! i mean WHY?.

i've seen quite a few different fan edits now and i have to say, i just don't get it!. i don't get this obsession for cutting out so many vital scenes(as well as less vital but still funny scenes), and to supposedly make it tighter?. nine times out of ten they just end up as a disjointed mess that's obviously been put together by some 'scissor happy' wannabe editor. the directors cut doesn't need any more editing in my opinion. in fact if i had to change anything about it, i would try to somehow put the jammy dodger deleted scene back in. i certainly wouldn't cut out any majorly important scenes.

don't get me wrong, i've nothing against fans doing these edits if it's just for a bit of fun and personel enjoyment, but it just seems slightly odd to me ( and possibly a bit disrespectful to doug and the team) but hey, thats just my opinion.......well obviously thats my opinion, i just wrote it ;-)

3. CaptnDan

CaptnDan Third Technician

Couldn't agree more! While all these fan edits have been "interesting", what I'd really like to see would be The Director's Cut edit, with the jammy dodger scene put back in. It was the most classic Red Dwarf in the whole of the new eps and it never made it in! Come on fan editors, stop cutting stuff out, and start jamming stuff back in!! :P

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Nah. The scene wasn't bad, but I don't buy them lying around on bunk beds in a store. I know the other customers didn't seem to notice them even when they were flying out of TV sets, although I get that the fact they were appearing on the telly at the same time contributed to that, but I felt that was stretching things a bit too much. It took me out of those events too much.

5. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

But weren't they just hanging round killing time waiting for Cat and Kryten to return with some cash?

Last time I watched BTE I was waiting for the bunk scene and was really disappointed when it wasn't there and I remembered it was a deleted scene.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes. But put yourself in their position. If you wanted to kill time in a furniture store, you might sit and chat on the sofas (the staff probably wouldn't mind that, since they think you might be potential customers testing out the furniture) but would you jump on the top bunk and have a lie down?

7. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I have done that. :-)
    but I did go on to buy it.

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

i have to say that i have as well, not on a top bunk, but me and my ex lay down on a double bed, just chatting away for allmost 10 mins. Granted we got some strange looks, but if you're gonna buy a brand new big bed, you want to get a feel for it, so to speak. and as for members of staff, i had to get up after a while to go and find one. so i would say that that scene could be believable even in our own reality , never mind in the shows.

And to be honested,
    I really dont think think Lister would think twice about jumping up onto the top bunk (i suppose the question could be asked 'would Rimmer do that?..), and i didn't personally feel the scene would have been out of place, or less believable than anything else in the episode. but thats just me.

9. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

Anyone know where i could see this edit? (Or if the owner is reading this). In addition to red dwarf, my wife and i really enjoy arrested development. Unfortunately these videos were removed before i could show her them :-(

10. tortexturtle

Anyone know where i could see this edit? (Or if the owner is reading this). In addition to red dwarf, my wife and i really enjoy arrested development. Unfortunately these videos were removed before i could show her them :-(

11. tortexturtle

12. tortexturtle

13. tortexturtle