A Lister-less episode

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Jun 9, 2010.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

What would people think of the possibility of doing one (if Craig is heavily scheduled).

Let's say that in the plot Lister is off checking out some local moon for signs of Kochanski leaving Rimmer, Kryten and Cat on board. Could the dynamic work? The show obviously suffered when Chris Barrie left but could it pull off an episode without its "other" major character? Somehow I get the feeling it could especially if some sort of crisis occured on board that required Rimmer to take on the leadership role and didn't allow him to hide under the table :-)

2. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I think it could work. Blake's 7 did two whole series almost completely without Blake. Red Dwarf wouldn't last long without Lister but an episode or two could be squeezed out of the other characters.

3. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

It's perfectly possible. Although the semi-permanent loss of Rimmer in series 7 hurt the dynamic of the show, individual episodes often fluctuate between focuses on specific characters. Even at the far end of the scale, take a look at Marooned. Beyond a brief appearance at the start and end, the entire episode was devoid of Kryten and Cat. Yet, it remains a very popular episode because it still had the strong dynamic between Lister and Rimmer. Would it have worked had they tried to keep it up? Most likely not.

In a single episode, taking Lister out of the equation could work and be a good episode. It all depends on how it is done.

4. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I think it would work, but you'd have to have him being involved somehow. Maybe the reason he's not there is that he's stuck somewhere else.... on a different deck and the guys are trying to find him, or maybe stuck in an AI game. Lister is a key ingredient in RD, so if it works it should only be for one episode

RAGE

5. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Lister is hardly in 'Holoship' offering only a few funny moments which could be taken by Kryten and Cat.

For an episode I think it could easily work.

Besides they could just film scenes with him later on of before just to give him a good laugh and send him off and bring back at the end.

6. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    I really think it could work.

I'd really like to see an episode where Rimmer and Cat have been left to sort out a crisis, as the two very rarely have any interaction other than a few sharp jibes towards each other, and the two least heroic members of the crew being forced to work together to try and solve a big problem has loads of comic and dramatic legs.

7. Cruel Slayer

That could all get a bit Star Treky. You know, those episodes where two characters who don't normally get along are forced to avert some crisis by learning to work together? Cringe!!!

8. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    Sounds like some interesting ideas that I wouldn't mind watching.
    I hope the script writers are secretly taking notes here. ;-)

9. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I think an episode without lister could work.

10. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

The only problem I see with doing a Lister-less episode, is that like with all other series that try to do episodes / series without the main character, is that the other character send up taking on some of the missing characters personality as script writers (maybe unwittingly) want to use so some of the attributes that are missing from that character and end up putting it up another character to put it across.

Most recently I remember seeing an episode of Scrubs without JD, and Elliott and Turk started getting all philosophical as JD would have had he been there. And of course, and entire series of the X-Files without Mudler, saw Scully transform over night from a sceptic to a believer. I know thats an entire series, but even for one episode I'm sure there are aspects of Listers character that would be missed, that Rimmer or Kryten would assume in his absense.

All in all though, if done correctly, taking into concideration what has been mentioned on this thread I think it could a) be interesting to watch, and b) maybe even open up aspects of the other characters we haven't seen yet and would be a good idea to follow up on

11. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

That's an excellent point and one I considered myself. I think most of us recognised that this occurred commonly in series VII where Rimmer's personality often seemed to possess other members of the crew with lines that would have fit him so much better, occasionally with Lister handing out some rather cruel comments to the Cat and most frequently with Kochanski which I think contributed to her becoming dislikable for all the wrong reasons (not that I feel there should have been any "right" ones).

This is obviously something the writer would have to be conscious to avoid in a "Lister-less" episode however I think it could succeed where Chris Barrie's abscence arguably failed simply because Barrie himself is so darn good at stealing the scene and the crux of the comedy often, if not always, revolves if only partly around the Rimmer character. In that sense I think Rimmer is someone the show couldn't really work without, and didn't work without whereas Lister, although obviously of huge importance to the central storyline and someone who could never leave the show permanently, doesn't have the defined personality traits that make him stand out from the others in the same way Rimmer does.

Lister, Cat and Kryten (even Holly) are all essentially so likable that any one of them can play the comic foil to Rimmer's Smeg Head, but, as series VII partially demonstrated there really only is one 'Old Iron Balls' :-)

12. pole85

pole85 First Technician

I think that would be the perfect instance for Identity Within Lister could be written out of that episode it would be a lot different than the original but i think it would work

13. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    Who said anything about either of them learning anything?! ;-) Knowing those two, they'd probably save the day by complete accident! (Then take all the credit of course!)

14. Cruel Slayer

:lol: