A new theory on Back To Earth

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jacksmith, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Now, i don't know if there's a thread for theories but here's mine:
    What we know is that the Red Dwarf crew will arrive back to "Earth" in the year 2009.

I originaly thought that this was something to do with the time drive now; however i'm not so sure,
    here's the data that makes me doubt it.

In the Radio Times it states that Carbug is a car made by a Red Dwarf fanboy,

this coupled with the fact that they visit Coronation street,

and that they have fans, to me says this is either a paralell reality, or some kind of simulation?

The other thing that supports this is that when they are running from the gunman in the street

(who has bullets with the characters names on them)

they seem to be in a futuristic chinatown with pedestrians with gas-masks on...

Does this mean the dwarfers arrive in a simulation where fiction is reality and reality is fiction?

But then get out of that simulation ravealing the reality of the earth?
    Some fourth wall breaking with a Dwarfey twist maybe?

This is a first post:eek:ops:
    let me know what you think.

2. Snipofsmeg

Snipofsmeg First Technician

We also know there is a Dimension Jump Laviathen in Red Dwarfs water tanks so that is the mostlikley reason how they reach earth.

3. jacksmith

Yes, the leviathan might have some part in all this... Still intrigued by the gas mask pedestrians.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Welcome to the forums Jack.

Me neither. One synopsis (that was deleted, so possible spoiler) is that (highlight to see: [ the new character Katarina helps their return to Earth. Since they could do that themselves if they used the time-drive (and have done in Tikka and Ouroboros) why would they require her help? ]. I like to think that the time-drive was wrecked when starbug 1 crashed in Back In the Red.

I'm not convinced of that. It's certainly possible, but in one of the trailers Lister says something along the lines "Coming in for landing." which suggests carbug can fly. On the other hand it could just be a silly gag as they drive around the street. That's what they cut to in the trailer, but whether or not they do that in the episode or there's an effects bit before hand.... well, we'll see.

That's what I thought too. [ On a screen in the background in one of the news articles we see a simulant. I wonder if they're responsible... ]

5. jacksmith

I have seen these synopsis's (might be wrong but i don't know what the plural of synopsis is)but thanks.
    It's said in the Radio Times that the art direction of carbug was to make it "Blue-Peter-ish" because it was made by a fanboy,

I was wondering about the "Cabin crew, prepare for landing" and "iniating landing procedure everyone on standby" lines; it would

seem as if it could fly, however if you look at the reflection on the windshield during the clip, it's definately not, probably a gag like you say.

Also the car sound as if it's on the road. Quite how they get this vehical is another matter.

Perhaps the simulants rule humanity? Strange as you'd expect them to just kill everyone,

maybe they're normal simulants who want human slaves as apposed to rogues who kill those who are good sport? All speculation sadly.

How exciting this all is! :-D

6. Titanbeing

Titanbeing Third Technician

How do you do the invisible ink thing???? very classy ;-)

7. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Carbug probably was built by a fan boy in real life, but is being used (for free?) as something in the show.

8. jacksmith

"Carbug probably was built by a fan boy in real life, but is being used (for free?) as something in the show."-Keir Shiels

The Radio Times article says:

"In the new story, This earth-bound version of the crew's little transport ship Starbug has been made
    by a fan of Red Dwarf-clearly based on a Smart car. "We downloaded a model of a Smart car into a computer and played with that,
    adding features to it ourselves" explains art director Alexis Lemonis"

that's my evidence for it being created by a fanboy within the story.
    As apposed to them using a car modified by a real fanboy;-)

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I used the color tag to change the colour of the text. Like this but with square brackets.[]

Unfortunately quoting it reveals the text as the background changes to grey, but it's still quite hard to read. lightgrey works better for the grey background but it's not exact. (Close enough though.)

10. Mouse_uk

Mouse_uk Skutter

i like this idea, and this is my personal take.

maybe Lister, and the stranded "mirror universe" crew didn't make it back? this would fit your fantasy is reality theory, how much more mirror universe could it be? and maybe this mirror universe just happens to be where Ace Rimmer has ended up too?

still doesn't explain how they got back to modern day earth, but it would make sense.

11. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

My own personal theory, is that Lister wakes up to hear Rimmer in the shower and we find that series VI & VII were all a dream - Old Rimmsy never left, Kochanski never made an appearance and the crew weren't brought back by the nano's.

Or has this already been done? ;-)

12. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

If Carbug does belong to red dwarf, why would it be based on a car from our time? Surely in their time, they had more advanced road vehicles. It would make more sence for a fan boy to have built it or maybe kryten has built it to try and look inconspicuas? but not got it quite right? you remember the ronald regan mask

13. jacksmith

Radio Times says it IS a fan who made the carbug in 2009 (in the story)

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Check out the car that rich Lister leaves in Timeslides. That's his own time period and... yes. It's a limo.

Just because it's the future doesn't mean that all old technology would be done away with. Take us for example. Many thought that we'd be in flying cars and things now (in the 40s and 50s say) and with household robots! (Actually the latter is true, although most of the robots are in the form of toys but I think you'll agree they're hardly wide-spread.) And even if they have different cars in the future, one good reason for basing carbug on a car of our time would be to fit in with our time. They don't want to stand out. (The fact that they kind of do anyway, with the little legs and engine section... well that's amusing isn't it?)

From what I've seen of the new trailer on Dave though, it seems likely that they didn't bring carbug with them anyway. So you're probably right. But for different reasons.