A poll.. BtE funny or not

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by dynamostia, Apr 11, 2009.

1. dynamostia

dynamostia Third Technician

I love RD. well used to up until series 7. There is a lot of talk on the forums about if it is funny or not. I say NO.

Why not a poll decide?

Did it make you laugh? yes or no...

Lets decide it that way/

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes.

3. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Why don't you wait until you've seen all three parts before deciding if the whole of BTE is funny?

4. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

YES!

Great one liners by Rimmer as well as his dancing. Got a chuckle out of the tomato/ironing scene.

5. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

6. Mallen2X4B

Mallen2X4B Third Technician

Yes, I actually laughed when I thought the laugh track should have been there.

7. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

8. Brydie68

Brydie68 Skutter

Yes - has been fan-smegging-tastic so far.

9. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Hold on, let me think...YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!

10. connell

connell First Technician

Yes it was funny

But I didn't like anything other than the jokes.

Ok, I may be a grumpy git :-D, but it was ok. :-)

Actually the more times I watch it it was great!

11. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Count me down as a Yes. :-)

12. RohedinRD

RohedinRD Skutter

What, why are we voting now? At least wait until we've seen all 3 parts, apparently parts 2 & 3 will be funnier. I'm holding back my vote until then.

13. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Co-signed it's too premature to judge what is essentially one long episode slit into three.

14. nathall

nathall Skutter

YES YES YES

I've watched the episode 6 times now. The first time through is more of just a shock-and-awe experience of "Wow, Red Dwarf is REALLY back."

The subsequent viewings, things just get better and better. I'm in the US, so my exposure has been limited to the high quality streams on YouTube of the episode. I was able to experience it without ads this way, so the "jarring ad breaks" were a non-issue for me. I've been watching Red Dwarf since Series 3 first aired on my local PBS affiliate some 20-odd years ago. I've gotta say I haven't been this excited about new Dwarf since Series 7. BTE part 1 reminds me very much of that series, and that's no bad thing as Series 7 is my second favorite series behind only the all-mighty Series 5. I thought the mile-a-minute gag style of Series 6 was overdone, and the quality of the gags suffered. Not to mention many were recycled over and over... BTE (part 1 anyway) is the perfect melding of the Series 7 story-oriented ep style and the pre-Series 6 quality gag tradition. Yes, the show has unquestionably migrated towards a more comedy drama format, but this is perfect and frankly, I couldn't have asked for anything better. I'm quite honestly elated that Kryten's role has been pushed into the backseat again, something we haven't seen since probably Series 4, as I felt he became the focus of many of the later episodes when the Lister-Rimmer dynamic was always (and SHOULD always) be the main focus of the show. This relationship comes shining through in BTE with a force unseen since "Blue" and some (all?) of BTE part 1's best, funniest moments are related to this dynamic.

The opening tomato scene was perfect, I laughed out loud during the whole "buildup/2 seconds of pleasure" exchange and did on each subsequent viewing. The "metal fatigue" gag had me floored, I'm not sure why this one hasn't gotten more attention, maybe it's an American thing. The more I think about it, the more I feel that it is Rimmer that really carries the comedy angle of BTE part 1-- just like it was in the old days.

As an aside, being American I had never heard of Sophie Winkleman prior to this episode, but DAMN is she SMOKING HOT. You guys over there are lucky. :P As Lister said, "I like her, I like her alot."

So this kindof turned into a mini review, but to make a long story short, YES Back to Earth made me laugh. Many times. And in each viewing, I pick up little things I didn't catch before that make me laugh even more (such as Katerina's "What do the skutters have to do that distract them from this task?" in reference to drying out Holly, obviously a jab at Rimmer's incessant need to generate pointless jobs for them).

Bring on part 2....

15. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

Yes!

Episode one had an overbearing atmosphere of solitude and hopelessness, but it still had undertones of the old RD.
    Episode two is 97.99% old school Red Dwarf in my humble, yet gravitous opinion (I believe I have invented the word "gravitous", which will hence forth be defined as: "to be with gravity").

As you can see, my opinion is so conclusive that it even has a word invented exclusively to pad the sentence:twisted:

16. stin69

stin69 Third Technician

If you listen to Andrew please.

My answer would be.............................of course...........bloody YES!!!!!!

Honestly, I loved it!

stevie:-)

17. corbane1

corbane1 Skutter

BTE 1 had few good laughs (YES)
    BTE 2 was fantastic (YES)
    BTE 3 .............. (gonna say YES, coz i trust Doug, alot)

18. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Yes with a capital ye.

19. doggett

doggett Second Technician

20. e4tmyl04d

e4tmyl04d Third Technician