A Pre-Series X Red Dwarf Forum Fave Story Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Presuming Ken, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Another thing I've noticed: why has seemingly everyone but me placed Timeslides before Bodyswap?

Isn't Bodyswap III's 4th episode and Timeslides is its 5th?

2. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Yes, Bodyswap is episode 4 and Timeslides episode 5, but I'm guessing most people are copy/pasting either the opening post or the preceding one, rather than type it all out themselves, and so the error has run through. Except for yourself, who either noticed and corrected or typed out the list yourself.

3. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Oops, didn't even realise i'd done that. And yes, I think most have cut and pasted. It's okay though, all the votes have been noted correctly :-)

4. Presuming Ken

Ally and Seymour also did them the right way round.

I think I was thinking of the VHS releases when I did series 3. Timeslides was the byte 2 title, although can't remember if was on the tape before of after Bodyswap.

5. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Yes, Bluey is right. I had copied and pasted the original episode list to save me from typing out each individual title.

If we get enough ratings, we could possibly separately average "old" forum members (pre-BTE) and "newer" members (post/circa-BTE) - I think I would likely be included in the latter, for example. It would be interesting to see if there is a significant difference between them.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, that could be interesting.

Also, I think we should do one of these for series X after the whole thing has aired. It'll be interesting to see how the new episodes compare with the older ones.

7. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I take it you mean old/new as in age of person, or when they became interested in RD, not how long they've been a member here as that stat would be pretty useless. Or would it....? Too much time spent reading negative opinions on certain series could have a downward effect, and the opposite too.... Hmmm. Ponder ponder ponder

8. acerimmer_165

I was actually referring to how long they've been a member here, as this could correlate with their interest in the show. For example, we might find that those who were inspired to join by BTE prefer the later episodes.

I agree that it would be FAR more interesting to consider age groups, but this would mean everyone would have to edit their age into the posts - I would be all for this as I'm fairly sure that there will be some sort of variation that we could note, but it would be logistically difficult - unless whoever is copying the info to a spreadsheet doesn't mind processing this, and everyone who has and will post here doesn't mind putting their broad age group (e.g. 5 year intervals), but unless everyone agrees it won't work.

For the record, I don't mind doing so...

9. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I don't mind either. Sex too.

Erm I mean male or female, obviously :eek:ops:

10. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I submitted my ratings after recently re-watching all nine series. I watched an ep, wrote its title down, gave it a rating, and moved on. That's why my were in the correct order (clearly a nerd).

In case you decide you need this info: Age? 22. Sex? No thanks...

11. acerimmer_165

Just a random thought (and also no harm bumping this potentially very informative thread) - if whoever intends to deal with all this data needs a hand with sorting it out in Excel, I don't mind helping as I'm reasonably familiar with it.
    For example, it's not very difficult to automatically separate the ratings from titles after a quick copy paste, and if we're only finding out average scores per episodes it would take 5 minutes max to do everything without having to individually enter any data (i.e. ratings/ep titles) in cells manually.
    I'm nowhere near an expert, so ignore this if you're reasonably proficient.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Just out of interest, how would you do that? Something to do with the Replace funtion?

13. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Text to columns.

Basically this feature allows you take a line of text in one cell and break it up. So if you copy/paste you should get each line in a different row (I think?), and then using this feature you could divide the "The End" and the "8" (as an example) into different columns. By using a hyphen as the marker, you can actually do this en masse down the list.

At least, I think that's how it works. Not used it for quite a while.

14. Presuming Ken

Indeed we should. Someone could do it (so i'm not hogging it all) and merge it with the findings here? :-)

That's a really nice gesture and really appreciated. Thanks :-) But the thing is i've already typed it all out and am just adjusting the scores as I go along. So I think with the number of voters we'll end up getting i'm about 90% done already. I did do it the hard way though :eek:ops:

Thanks again, Jason 8)

15. Presuming Ken

Re the age and how long you been a fan thing.

Any info given by anyone will indeed be used and i'll use it as extra info when I do the results thread :-)

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You can do the one for series X too. I don't mind.

Perhaps the best time to do it will be the day after the final episode has aired to take advantage of the huge number of people that will be on the board.

17. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

What is the time limit for this?

18. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

The present block of rating runs until 22nd September, 11pm GMT according to the opening post.

Any future things will be decided when the time comes.

19. snodgrass

snodgrass Third Technician

The End - 8
    Future Echoes - 9
    Balance of Power - 8
    Waiting for God - 5
    Confidence and Paranoia - 8
    Me2 - 9

Kryten - 9
    Better Than Life - 10
    Thanks for the Memory - 10
    Stasis Leak - 9