a question for those who dislliked Back to Earth

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Apr 24, 2011.

1. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I own bladerunner and still the hair was really a bit much! Frightening actually, similar to some kind of alien hair horror movie that leaps out of the television and consumes the viewer. :? :lol:

2. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

I actually don't like Blade Runner, though some of the cinematography in the film is jaw dropping and quite beautifully realized. It was one of those movies I REALLY wanted to like. In fact, many people will make you feel like you're less of a sci fi fan if you don't like it! So I watched the director's cut. My eyes never left the screen but by the end of the movie I realized I didn't like it. I watched the theatrical cut. Definitely better but I still didn't like it. Finally (after not watching the film for a couple of years) I read the book it was based on, "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?" And I absolutely LOVED it! I know people will always tell you the book is always better than the movie. But in this case it is an understatement. I knew there was SOMETHING about the movie that kept making me watch it multiple times, trying to like it. Somewhere beneath all its "artistic license" and slipshod execution, there lied a brilliant story written by Philip K Dick. And if I EVER find myself wanting to revisit that story, I'll skip the movie and crack open the book instead.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've attempted to watch Blade Runner twice in the past (both times years before Back To Earth), but found it so slow and dreary I switched off about a third or less of the way through. Because of Back To Earth, next time it's aired on TV I'm going to make a big effort to watch it all the way to the end.

4. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

Yeah I was meaning more in terms of visuals rather than the actual story. Like Kochanski's comedy haircut. I'll have to get round to watching it at some point.

5. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

If its slow and dreary then I probably won't like it. I have a shocking attention span at the best of times lol.

6. bond_villain

bond_villain Third Technician

Try and watch it. Seeing Blade Runner (and - to a lesser extent - liking Blade Runner) makes a big difference to how you perceive BtE. I love Blade Runner and I thought the nods to it in BtE were really well done.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

When I first saw it, I wasn't keen, at least at the start. I found it quite dreary and depressing too. By the end though, I really liked it. The stuff later on (particularly Deckard vs Pris) was actually quite exciting and the Roy Batty bit at the end (which I won't spoil for those that haven't seen it) was amazing and beautiful. It somehow made the rest of the film for me. Strangely, I like the earlier stuff now too, and what I initially found dreary, I now find atmospheric.

That's a shame. Some people can be quite arrogant, can't they? It's certainly a favourite film of mine, but I can understand why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

I think my favourite version is The Final Cut. It's similar to the so called Director's Cut basically with some digital remastering. (Done in a very subtle way, rather than 'adding stuff'). (Really this should be the Director's Cut as it's Riddley Scott's true vision of the film.) I think I prefer it to the Theatrical Cut as I prefer the ambiguity of the ending, and loved the implications of the Unicorn sequence. That stuff brought in certain questions that were in the novel, but in a more subtle way. That being said, I do have a soft spot for the Theatrical release. And for those of you who are watching Blade Runner to compare it with BtE, I would suggest this be the version of the film you watch, or you'll miss the references in the final scene with Lister and Kochanski. Certainly try to catch the Final Cut at some point though.

I would usually agree with that. I usually prefer the novel version of stories to the movie versions, but Blade Runner is an exception for me. I though the book was very interesting, but I think it was perhaps just a bit TOO odd for me. I also find Philip K Dick's writing a bit disjointed for some reason.