A Question

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Raddish, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Raddish

Raddish Skutter

hi :-) i am new and this is my first post.

I was wondering if it is explained in the books or something why they end up 3 million years into deep space.

Once the crew were all dead after the radiation leak, and the ship was empty except for Lister in the stasis and the cat i the hold, why did Holly not stop the ship where it was and send out a distress call? I understand that if he had then there would be no Red Dwarf, but i was wondering if there was an actual reason for it.

2. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

No reason is given in the show (I don't remember the book), but it's not hard to imagine one. The Space Corps would have no interest in recovering a ship that won't be usable for 3 million years, and they certainly wouldn't want it stopped in space in the solar system, where it could be a hazard to navigation. So it was sent away, probably with the Corp's full blessing.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes. In part. The ship was heavily irradiated, so Holly sent the ship out into deep space to prevent people of our solar system from being harmed.

Of course, why he continued for so long isn't explained. Maybe, despite his advanced intelligence, he still requires human decisions, unless it involves the safety of the crew of course.

4. Raddish

Raddish Skutter

ok kool :-)

thanks for the answers :-)

5. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Skutter

The reason for 3 million years, was it took that long for the radiation levels to come down enough that Lister would survive coming out of stasis.

6. lame_excuse

lame_excuse Skutter

everybodys dead dave.

7. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

It's for a future plot device. The radiation leak was actually sabotage, not an accident. Holly was programmed to take the ship into deep space for three million years, and that program then deleted so he can't even remember why he did it himself. This is all because a radical enviromental group were smuggling evidence of illegal JMC mining activities aboard Red Dwarf, and JMC couldn't discover where the evidence was hidden on so vast a ship but couldn't just blow it up without causing suspicion.

None of this takes place anywhere except in my head, and it serves only to show that you could pluck any reason out of the air. But it isn't adaquately explained.