A real page-turner

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SFRimmer12, Mar 30, 2009.

1. SFRimmer12

SFRimmer12 Third Technician

Hello, fellow Dwarfers!

Now, this is just an idea I came up with in the early hours of this morning.

How about an OFFICIAL RED DWARF information book - Every single nugget of Red Dwarf information.

* Ideas that never made it to the screen - Bodysnatcher, Dad, Identity Within and other possible episodes that were chucked for other reasons.

* character backgrounds - when and where Lister, Rimmer, Cat and Kochanski were born, what they did growing up, other jobs before Red Dwarf. When Kryten was created.

* Episode info - an episode guide with behind-the-scenes info, best quotes from the episode, scripted scenes that never made it to the finished product, more scripted scenes that weren't shown on the deleted scenes part of the DVD,

* History of Red Dwarf (1) - The concept of a brilliant TV comedy set in space, series-by-series lookback (like the DVD documetaries), Cast decisions,

History of Red Dwarf (2) - We all know Lister is an enlightened 23rd Century guy but what was going on on Earth in the 23rd Century. And how did they manage to build Red Dwarf when it's bigger than a planet?

There could be photos and concept pictures and storyboards placed in the book. I mean, I know most of what I've wrote HAS been done on the DVD but it would be nice to read it, too. And I'm also aware of a Red Dwarf Programme Guide (quite a few of them were written, redone).

Well, now I've got that off my chest, I'm going to run and "cower undeneath one of the boilers". All ideas, views and thoughts are welcome.

:idea: :-D

2. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I've got the Program Guide, but....WHY WASN'T I INFORMED OF THIS GOD-SEND?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Oh, by the way, when was it written?

3. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I think it was an idea rather than something that exists.

The website has something already along these lines.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I wouldn't mind finding out what century the crewmembers are actually from. It was 21st in Series 2. 23rd century 4th series onwards... until series 7 it was the 23rd (although that was only a bit of text in the Aigburth Arms scenes. Do we go by most mentioned (23rd century) the latest (22nd) or just pick one?

Not that it really mattters 3 million years int he future, etc....

Anyhow, such a book would be rather interesting. I'm not all that bothered though now the focus is on other RD stuff!

5. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

i would pay good money for a book like that
    but i would add where Holly came from, who deigned him

6. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    How many planets do you know that are only 5 miles long?

7. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

My brain appears to have broken. This problem has been reported to the skutters. Sorry for the inconviance.

8. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Program Guide? Chris Howarth & Steve Lyons revised and revised kind of unofficial/ official Red Dwarf kind of format credited. Started in 1993.

9. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Very debatable ...

As shown by many other posts.

Lister is not necessarily from the 23rd Century :lol:
    :-D

10. JEZZMUND

JEZZMUND First Technician

It's something of a massive undertaking really,
    The History of Red Dwarf, or a complete dwarfopedia? it's either gonna suffer from great inconsistencies, or you'd have have to lock Grant / Naylor in a room and pump them for information every time you came across a hole in the facts..
    Howarth & Lyons did a fantastic job with the program guides (imo) but they mostly cover what's happened in the programs themselves,
    then you have the likes of the space core survival guide by 'mad' Mike O' Hagan (paul alexander iirc) that expands into non-space,
    or rather, the non-tv universe,
    but a Dwarfopedia would have to be both these things
    - factual to the hilt, and yet cover non-space (can't think of a better term for it)
    How?! an unofficial publication would struggle to keep true, and something sanctioned by Doug would take smeg-loads of time, and would need unrestricted access to both cast and crew...
    I've got the time if you've got the money!
    And then there's the marketability;
    right so, you, me and the rest of the fanbase would probably buy a copy,
    perhaps some of the cast and crew - and maybe even the odd university student for some use in a drinking game,
    But i can't remember the last time an encyclopedia was on the times bestseller list,
    So how would it recover the costs once in print?

as you may tell, i've spent quite a bit of time considering this in the past,
    It's something i'd love to undertake - but in terms of feasability, wouldn't you much rather see
    A complete Space Corps Directives manual?
    laid out like the real thing, in all it's pedantic, small-texted, obnoxious glory?
    or better yet, as the SCD's are more likely to be multi-volume, and (as military manuals are) bloody boring to read.
    maybe a single volume of the directives, printed to look like it's been recovered from, say, a crashed Starbug's wreckage?
    burnt pages giving you the opportunity to skim many of the gaps between the known numbers, curry stains obscuring blocks of
    (probably boring) text - that sort of thing?

Maybe i've been alone in deep Yorkshire too long, but it's a deeply appealing thought
    -perhaps something worth pressuring GNP for..?