A Red Dwarf drama documentary

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ourrrob, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ourrrob

ourrrob Second Technician

The story of how Red Dwarf arrived on our screens is utterly compelling. I see a BAFTA-winning docu-drama with younger unknown lookalikes playing all the beloved larger-than-life characters. Imagine the scenes; so many to choose from. The brilliant and so naive writing team, the demonic director, the dysfunctional cast, heroic Northerners only just showing closed-minded Beeb-London naysayers how it's done. And it's set in the eighties! It has everything.

Which particular scenes, from the stories you've heard, would you like to see played out? I'd like to see a few depicting Ed Bye doing his nut.

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Is that meant to be Rob Grant and Doug Naylor? The hugely-experienced writers of four radio series of their own devising, not to mention contributing a shedload of TV and radio comedy series, who'd just gained an even huger reputation following their role in turning Spitting Image from a failed experiment on ITV into a smash hit show?

(Those radio shows, fact fans, were: Cliché, Son of Cliché, Wrinkles and Wally Who?)

Ed Bye? He's pretty much the cuddliest, friendliest man ever to direct television!

The guy who turned down the show at the Beeb was from Wales. The BBC Manchester boss who commissioned it had spent the previous ten years working for the channel in London.

Still, I'd tune in just to see the scene where Norman Lovett and Paul Jackson discuss the role of Holly in series three... :-)

3. ourrrob

Hey Andy! Good comebacks there, I like it, I like it. Sure, winkles like those can be ironed out - although I'm sure I heard Rob Grant describe himself as naive in some Red Dwarf doco or other. Be a great show, though.

In fact, a show like that could ultimately solve the problem of how to bring in a new cast to take the place of the originals. Use the same actors as played Craig and the gang in the docu-drama, and it'd help to make it a nice gentle transition into Red Dwarf series 11.

4. ourrrob

Of course he is. Silly me. I meant to say Paul Jackson - who's cuddly, too, I'm sure, most of the time, in his way.

5. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

What I want to ask is who's ironing who's winkle?!! :shock:

6. ourrrob

Sorry. Having terrible trouble with my 'R's at the moment. I'll have to get a new keyboard.

7. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I don't know who that is. It's spelled 'Andrew'. Like the name.

8. ourrrob

Now I'm having terrible trouble with my Andrew. I'm having one of those days.

9. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

May I enquire as to why the rather xenophobic remark?
    How does being from Wales detract from being a BBC-London naysayer? Considering he was working for the BBC in London, saying no to Red Dwarf at the time.
    Your sentence could be read as saying you consider the Welsh to be closed minded. Could you clarify this please?
    Asides from the trivia, relevance? He didn't get the chance to nay say Red Dwarf in London!

10. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Okay, hi, go read the post again. That's a horribly loaded mis-reading!

How does pointing out that a man was from Wales become xenophobia?! There's literally no opinion in there, just a singular fact. And that fact was raised in support of a simple argument: the history of this show cannot be dramatised as a North/South battle since the 'southern' naysayer wasn't actually a English Southerner. He wasn't from either side of the artificial line being suggested. (And there's no suggestion anywhere that his opinion somehow relates to his place of birth!)

I was refuting the unrealistic depiction Our Rob suggested of there being a simple, clean North/South divide between 'southern/London naysayers' and 'northern comedy crusaders' which could be exploited for dramatic purposes.

The deeper implication being: regionality doesn't define opinion or type. Not everyone supporting Dwarf was Northern, not everyone from the South was against it, also vice-versa and a myriad opinions in between.

That only reads as 'the Welsh are close-minded' if you've not read the words properly. And I'm pretty insulted by the suggestion.

Why would he have nay-sayed while in London but been for the show after a train trip north?! He would have wanted to have said yes wherever he was at the time, regardless of the region. That's the point: that regional biases played little part in the commissioning of the show. The distinction of BBC Manchester is predominantly bureaucratic in this instance; it barely relates to opinion or taste.

One more time: my post was pointing out to Rob that you can't draw the history of Dwarf in ways inconsistent with the truth. You can't paint Rob and Doug as newcomers to the industry, you can't paint Ed Bye as a scary director, and you can't pitch the key conflict as Northern comedy skill versus Southern/London dislike or indifference. The facts - flat facts - don't bear it out, suggesting that taste or negativity are not region-defined traits. (By logical extension, if you like: "xenophobia is idiotic".)

You can't play this 'docu-drama' as a battle across a regional divide because the histories of the people involved with the show don't bear out that interpretation. That's the relevance: that the facts get in the way of wanting to paint people from areas of the UK so simply.

I hope that's now clear.

11. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

I didn't call you Andy-baby, did I, sweetie?

12. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Hello Andrew!:-D I do apologise if you feel cutting up your post for quoting some how misrepresents you but I do so to address each point as I feel best fits. Also I detect a tone of anger in your post. I'd like to declare: I'm not actually angry, so I would like to ask you do not read this post believing it to be written in such a manner.

I spent nearly half an hour writing that last response & ninety minutes composing this one. I read your previous post in every possible interpretation, formulated my response to alert you to the worst possible inference. I know you're not a xenophobe, I don't want anybody else to think that. Apologies if you think I was accusing you - it wasn't my intention.

Xenophobic, I do dislike being misquoted. It's the inference I'm trying to alert you to - your response to someone being "close minded" & a "naysayer" was that the main indivdual was "from Wales". It infers that it is a common failing amongst the Welsh, thereby contemptuous of a foreign culture, thereby Xenophobic. It's a technicality, much in the same way landing on someone's foot counts for mutiny.:P
    It does not only read 'the Welsh are close-minded' but it can. The statement that I have not "read the words properly" is also contemptuous. I could not help feel that I could have read the words properly, provided most of the words for expressing your idea weren't missing from the post in question.:?

Speaking of inference, Our Rob didn't actually say that, he said this:
    This quote doesn't mention southerners or Londoners in general just BBC workers in London. You have been the only one to suggest this North /South England divide in this thread, asides obviously this response.
    By the circumstance of living in London, that Welshmen would be a de facto Londoner on the Southern side. Though you are right, there wasn't actually a North /South England divide in the story to exploit.

Not his opinion on not commissioning Red Dwarf, no. In fact, the opposite could be said to be true - A man from Wales is unlikely to have learnt any regional grudges against people from Manchester, such as Rob & Doug.

It's not my words, it's his (Provided we're talking about the same bloke here!). As said on your DVD: 'I wanted to comission something different for the North, something London wouldn't do.' Without commissioning from the North, there is no onus for him to produce something as moldbreaking as Red Dwarf. He'd have wanted to but that doesn't necessitate the commission.

13. ori-STUDFARM

You used a full stop when it clearly should have been a comma! And that colon just isn't right. FFS!! Does any of it matter!

I read a light hearted thread opener with some light hearted responses. Responses that really don't deserve to be dissected, ripped apart and analysed.

I don't know how you put up with it sometimes Andrew!

And before anyone responds negatively to this post with some "I was only saying" or "Well, everyone's entitled to an opinion". I couldn't care less. Anything else I may or may not post in this thread will be a light hearted response to a humorous comment in the nature of this thread's original intent.

**le sigh**

14. ori-STUDFARM

....Okay.....apart from this. I stand by what I actually said, but will still apologise for saying it. Normally I wouldn't have said it, but it's been a long day. I needed to vent somewhat! Sorry :roll:

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It seems fairly obvious to me that Andrew pointing out that the person in question was from Wales was to correct "Our Rob's" suggestion that they were from Southern England.

There is absolutely no opinion or generalising of Welsh people in anything that he said just the statement of a simple fact made as a correction.

16. ourrrob

Okay. Let's kick the North/South angle in the head. I'm not married to it.

17. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Okay...excuse my American ignorance why all of the references made to where people are geographically located? Not just in this specific post, but elsewhere as well? I can't tell if you are insulting or complimenting. :lol:

18. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" ~ Some old dude from the past, present and future :-)

t'is funny how such an innocent comment can be so easily misinterpreted in the complete opposite way as was initially intended.

I spread love and light to you all, my fellow humans of the Earth * he said somewhat ambiguously* :P

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

There is sometimes a bit of rivalry between the northerners and southerners in the UK. (I don't just mean Scotland and England but Northern England and the South. It's mostly light-hearted and jokey nowadays, I think.) There are certain cultural differences, I guess, although they're probably blown out of proportion to reach stereotypical status. It's not as bad as this thread might make out.

The idea of the drama documentary showing the problems of Red Dwarf being influenced by North/South antagonism is certainly erroneous.

20. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Maybe you should just delete this post until you have a clue about the programme you are talking about!?