A theory...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by shongage, Nov 2, 2017.

1. shongage

shongage Skutter

This is something I've always thought about with Red Dwarf. It's like my own internal brain theory that I used to explain certain continuity errors happening within Red Dwarf.

What if each season that contradicts each other takes place in an alternate reality? It explains the set changes, the continuity problems, actor changes, etc. for example, season 3+4 takes place in a different alternate reality to 1+2. And maybe 10,11 & 12 all take place in the same reality, but different to the other seasons. Some things stay the same, but other things change.

Now I realise this probably isn't the case, and each season just has changes because they want to make things better and ignore the things from previous seasons that they didnt like...

However, the reason I bring this up is because it seems to me like the upcoming episode 'Skipper' may actually be about something like this... if there's an alternate reality still going that looks like season 1, and another one that looks more like season 7... one that still has a male holly.... and another one that still has a female holly.

And I have a hunch that, while the secret of Norman coming back has been let out of the bag, wouldn't it be cool if there was another secret of Hattie also coming back?

2. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

Oh this was actually me that posted this, I accidentally logged into my other account that I made when I thought I'd lost this one. I couldnt figure out how to delete and repost :/

3. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

Arghhh sock puppet, J'accuse..... I can see you backing yourself up in arguments....oh, wait....only one post....I guess we are going to have to forgive you then, aren't.....I HATE forgiving people.

What you say is good, and I think it is a good little exploit for the writers, that they could use a bit more money to improve the sets and some of the technology. It is nice that they can change the look of things, without it necessarily being a big plot hole that we can all climb into, flood with hot water and have ourselves a bath.

I don't think Star Trek would get away with such changes without explanation....but I have to say, although I like trek, the sci-fi is often better in Red Dwarf (more interesting ideas) so, it is easier to roll with it.

4. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Except maybe Kryten's face. It was all wrong in Series X though ironically the first publicity shots of XI caused some backlash, but Robert's mask in XI and XII are much better.

5. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I am holding out that Skipper has another surprise that hasn't been spoiled yet. The return of Ace Rimmer, or female Holly, or something like that.

6. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

I’m really starting to feel like Skipper is going to do this you know?

It’d be interesting. In one swoop it would erase 30 years of continuity and plot hole arguments!

Pembers likes this.
  7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

The original working title was Star Knot. Which sounds like a play on star-crossed. Which sounds like Kochanski might be on the cards.

8. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Don't even THINK that, much less say it. No no no no no the LAST thing we need is Kochanski's return. Can we not just move on from her??

SweatyChimpBoy likes this.
  9. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Hi, Kryten.

Chris D likes this.