A thread for everyone, possibly more big ole ??

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Nov 1, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Does anyone remember the series kolchak? It was on TV in the, and set in, the seventies. It was really cool and a sort of pre runner to the x files. It was also a film, kolchak the night stalker, which was a lot better than the series. It was about a newspaper reporter who investigated crimes. Usually murder, but they had a horror twist to them, the murdered being a vampire, or werewolf etc. I mention big ole in the title because the detective was modern day film noir style, and the episodes had a horror element to them, thus right up his (and my) street

2. neilold

The series and movie both starred Darren McGavin. It should be a lot more well known and loved than it is, and it's influence on latter tv shows is clear to see

3. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Yes indeed I remember it. His Trench coat! lol

4. neilold

I think the movie was a lot better than the series

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I had them on DVD a while ago, but I think they went during a clearout. I remember Wat hinges them on TV, although I think I taped them because they were on quite late. If I recall correctly, Chris Carter, creator of The X-Files, mentioned the show as one of his primary inspirations. A few years ago there was an attempted remake staring Stuart Townsend. I saw an episode. It was rubbish.

6. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I think I'm right in saying the phrase "monster of the week" was coined for this show? If it's the one I'm thinking of, Stephen King mentions it in his collection of essays, Danse Macabre.

7. neilold

I didn't know they remade them, I never saw that, and I don't think i'll bother if they're rubbish. I can also see where the monster of the week tag came from. It helps if you love noir, because of the style of the episodes. It's odd, on paper, a programme with a noir stylised newspaper man tracking down a monster, or Dracula, or whatever sounds absolutely terrible, but somehow it was actually really good

8. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I enjoyed it a great deal as a kid. As an adult, I found not all of the episodes stood up as well. The remake was darker with a brooding Kolchek and a mysterious back story. It completely lacked the charm of the original incarnation of the character. These days, a show about someone chasing down supernatural entities has a lot to compete with, so I doubt another attempt at a revival is likely.

9. neilold

i found the film to be much better than the series. A feature film was just about the right length. Longer than an episode, so it could be more detailed about the characters and story , but not too much same old, same old, that it would lead to the 'monster of the week' title. I wouldn't even wanta remake, mainly because it wouldn't, by nature, sum up the noir and sevnties look of vegas and its attitudes back then

10. neilold

11. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    I'll keep my eye out for it for sure. Thanks!

12. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Is that the guy with the lollipop who looks like stu?

Paul Taylor likes this.
  13. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Yawns