A very sad question

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by gem5ie, Aug 2, 2011.

1. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

I'm watching Me2, and I currently have too much time on my hands, and a thought has occurred. The scene in the cinema- how can the duplicate Rimmer cast a shadow in front of the projection in order to make bunny ears and flick Vs when he himself is composed entirely of light?

2. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Rimmer is a solid projection, in the sense that he is not transparent (he only becomes hardlight in 'Legion'), so light cannot pass through him.

Also, take a look at Rimmer & Rimmer's quarters. Lister walks down and corridor that follows the shape of the room, yet there is a window on the wall that backs onto the corridor.

3. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

How come he goes through furniture, but not walls, the bulkhead, or his bed? Why does he need Necrobics: Exercises for the Dead, or why does he need to brush his teeth and take a holographic shower?

It's called suspension of disbelief. :-)

4. SixthDwarfer

I presume Rimmer doesn't walk through walls for the same reason he doesn't fall through the floor. Remember, he does have a small physical presence in his Lightbee. He can walk through small obstacles like a waist height table and have Lister walk through him by having his Lightbee dodge out of the way.

5. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

I had this vague idea in my head that holograms can sense and avoid solid objects. I'm sure in one of the books they talk about him not sitting or lying, but instead hovering millimetres above his bed or chair. In my head it's as if the atoms that make up his projection are charged in such a way that repels the tangible world- like when magnets repel each other if you match their poles.

Of course, in The End Rimmer leans on the scanner table and falls through it for the sake of a gag, so basically, whatever 8) (I am not good at suspension of disbelief, but I appreciate its importance particularly where Red Dwarf is concerned).

And while we're on the subject, in Marooned when he gives the SOS he is PROPERLY PRESSING ACTUAL BUTTONS. Now *that's* something I always need to pretend I haven't noticed...

6. SixthDwarfer

7. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

Excellent, thank you. That's scratched my mental itch! :-D

8. SixthDwarfer

Remember, his light bee is on the seat. Though it's odd that the seat doesn't eject with him.

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I always assumed this was simply an idea he was ruminating on out loud, ala Alan Partridge. I don't think that what followed was him doing Necrobics, rather I thought it was him getting his teeth brushed.