A whole bunch of expressions...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Callisto252, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Forget Shakespeare, Red Dwarf is an absolute treasure trove of quotes and expressions!

I often find that lines from the show spring instantly to mind (like that one did) no matter what I'm talking about. I must have used loads over the years without even noticing. I do know I say 'too slow, Chicken Marengo' to my kids, and Rimmer's 'I'll be worrying about this all the time now' also gets used a lot. Funnily enough I've never said 'smeg', but I do regularly use a phrase from Better than Life (the novel) - something Trixie LaBouche aka Rimmer says when she/he tips up her bag (can't write it here!). Always strikes me as very un-Red-Dwarfy, but I seem to have used it a lot over the years!

Which phrases from the show have you found yourself saying in real life?

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I also use 'Too slow, chicken marengo.'

I once called a friend, "Dave Cinzano Bianco Lister' during a game of pool. I've also used, "Be cool, stay slinky!" during moments of (trivial) panic.

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Yeah, "too slow, chicken marengo" is a very common one among me and people I know!

"Let's mosey on into town" is one I use a lot. I've used variations on the "The thing about Captain Oates..." bit, too. And I'm sure there are loads of others - those are the only ones that come to mind at the moment, though!

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

One of the good things about Red Dwarf is that, like many of the best comedy shows out there, it's very quotable (those first six seasons are anyway - I can't think of any really good quotes from season seven onwards right now, but I'm sure there are a few). Rob and Doug were great at writing lines that were not just funny but also very memorable and applicable to everyday life.

"What a Dibbley!" is one that I like to use these days whenever I make a stupid mistake, and I've used variations on Lister's Backwards line: "Bulgarian? I hardly speak English." Cat's "So what is it?" in White Hole is another quote that deserves a mention. I've never used it in real life, many of us have used it here on the forum over the years.

I'm sure there are other Red Dwarf lines that I've used over the years, but I'll have to have another think.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I love Lister's, "You're a sad weasel of a man, d'you know that, Rimmer?" but it's far more likely to be used on me, rather than by me.

6. Callisto252

I'm sure that's not true :-)

But yes agree with Bluey, Red Dwarf is just so damn quotable - it was definitely what first grabbed me about it. Back in the early 90s I could happily spend all evening with my sisters or boyfriend doing endless quotes and falling about laughing!

I like it when I hear someone else do a quote out of the blue. One of the other mums at the school recently blurted out 'Somebody ate them!' in an attempted Cat voice. No idea what she was talking about though, probably some cakes that she made - I tend to tune out of mum chatter!

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

The world that is tumblr is full of Red Dwarf 'memes' (is that how you spell it?).

8. Callisto252

Is it? Never looked on there. Sounds like something I'm too old for! :-(

Remembered some more quotes that I use:

'No prob, Bob' (can't remember which ep this is from)
    'I think I've gone video blind' (after too much time online)
    'COME ON YOU BORES!!' (when everyone's being lethargic, don't always suggest the camp-fire songs though)
    'Oh groovy, funky channel 27!' (very rarely, when someone turns over to ITV2+1)

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Me too, but I do. Well, I don't have much interest in other's tumblrs - as selfish as that sounds - but I like to make them to help quash my creative juices. In fact, I enjoy customizing the look and design more than I do maintaining content.

I reserve that one for Channel Chav... I mean Channel 5.

10. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I use smeg fairly regularly (usually in the form of "Smeggin' 'ell"). Although I try to keep it limited to when I'm around close friends otherwise I get strange looks. Also, I seem to have picked up the habit of saying "muchly" quite a lot. Along with an occasional "mosey on over", "what a Dibbly" and numerous others that don't come instantly to mind. :-)

11. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

That's Freeview 27 is it?

I sometimes use the term funky groovy.

12. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

I've actually said 'smeg' on a few occasions. 'Smegging hell' too.

13. andyedge

andyedge First Technician

Can't help using smeg far too often as it's useful for situations where I can't swear :-D

A common one I use at work is 'Swirly thing alert!' when the computer hangs up with the swirly thing instead of the mouse pointer. Like the one in sim's current avatar :roll:

14. andyedge

andyedge First Technician

Also, the message tone on my phone is 'Fellas, smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast'.
    Can result in a few funny looks when it goes off unexpectedly in public :lol:

15. Callisto252

I can see how this might happen, smeg is just sooo versatile. I tend to use 'sugarlumps' and 'fudgecake' as substitutes around my kids, but 'fudgecake off' doesn't really work :eek:

I suppose the reason I don't say 'smeg' is that it's just too associated with the series. Even my Mum - who has never watched a single episode - laughs whenever she sees a Smeg appliance! I would possibly use it with someone I knew to be a fan.

'Goit' though - I've definitely called someone that. Incidentally there is a River Goyt near Manchester (it eventually goes on to become the Mersey) - a possible inspiration for the term? Always makes me think of Rimmer when I go there!

16. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Thanks Callisto

17. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

I've said a whole lot of other words too... :shock:

18. Callisto252

Ever since Seb mentioned 'mosey on into town', I've been trying to recall a similar expression that I use when I'm going out. It's been driving me mad but then last night it came to me in a dream - Lister saying 'We'll be on our merry way'. I immediately posted it on the forum, also in my dream. Think I've been spending too much time on here!

19. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Ones that I use from Red Dwarf in everyday conversation include:

"I was in hog heaven..." From Legion when I am very happy/satisfied with something.
    "Aaaah smug mode." Also from series 6.
    "Sorry sir, my sanity chip has melted" from series 4 Justice I think, if I am bored by something.

20. Callisto252

"Galloping up diarrhoea drive without a saddle" - there really does seem to be a Red Dwarf expression for every occasion. :?