Ace Rimmer

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by acerimmer_165, Mar 25, 2009.

1. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I always thought that the introduction of Ace Rimmer was fantastic - I found him to be a great character and his contrast with our Rimmer is hilarious, but I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

Does anyone think that Ace will return in Back to Earth? *cough* Andrew? *cough*

2. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

I hope so, his appearances were always fantastic, and I imagine Chris Barrie would love to play him again!

3. acerimmer_165

Yeah - I think Ace was created because Chris didn't always want to play the bad guy or something

4. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

I hope not. Dimension Jump was superb. Emohawk was a nice nod. But Stoke Me a Clipper (Like the Dibbleys' reappearance in VIII) was just flogging a joke.

5. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Although Ace is a really refreshing change from Rimmer, I don't think I could handle any more than about twenty minutes of him on-screen, and I hope he doesn't feature too much in the specials. I mean he is just so smegging brilliant at everything, and humble about it too! That just doesn't add up to a very interesting character. (Although it does make a funny juxtaposition with Rimmer) Does Ace have any flaws? Well, Rimmer's got buckets of flaws, and that's why we all love him, innit?:-D

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

The introductory scene to Stoke was brilliant though.

I've often thought those great introductory scenes should have all been pre-credits. (This one was, if I remember correctly, but I think Dimension Jump and The Inquisitor would have benefited from it too.)

7. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I don't know so much about flogging a joke as trying to say goodbye to a well loved character in an affectionate way.
    Yes I would agree that it was perhaps 1 Ace appearance too many but it was a nice gesture to give Chris/Rimmsy a kind of heroic send off. If he had to go, at least he went with style.

8. ch

ch Catering Officer

I don't hope it either.
    It's great to see Chris Barrie play two very different characters, but I found Ace pretty annoying.

9. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I liked Ace, but I think it's been done enough. I really disliked the Dibbley family bit in Back In The Red for the same reason. I'm glad they didn't use the ending to Only The Good where Ace turns up. I dunno, maybe if it was done well, I'd love it, but it seems like a bit of a rehash..

10. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

Every moment of Emohawk I found painful (except the Zardoz head), especially the forced Ace and Dibbley reapperarances to push fan buttons apparently. In "Stoke Me a Clipper" they finally did justice to Ace and Rimmer though, I think.

11. doggett

doggett Second Technician

What is it with all the dislike for VI ?

:?:

Emohawk is great !!

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

The Kinitawowi marriage stuff was brilliant!

The latter part didn't bother me too much although the change in physical appearance when chunks of their emotions were removed didn't make a whole lot of sense. (Maybe we were just seeing how they saw themselves though rather than actually physically changing in appearance.)

13. connell

connell First Technician

They overused the Dibleys and shot and burend them. Ace by the narrowest of narrow margins has a chance to redeem his reputation in Dwarf, IF he's back, they'll have to make it good, or he'll end up like tank tops!

14. acerimmer_165

Yeah. I loved Dimension Jump and Emohawk.

I enjoyed Stoke me a Clipper too, but the fact that it took away Rimmer kinda ruined the fun :-D

15. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

I think that Stoke me a Clipper was really god, but I'm not a big fan of Emohawk. To me it's almost like Emohawk was flogging the joke, then Stoke made it good again. I think all of Dwayne Dibbley's appearances have been rubbish apart from in Back to Reality.