Add a Show

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Pembers, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

If you could add a show to one (or more) of the existing series what would the plot be.

For Series one I would add:

Common Ground: Tensions between Rimmer and Lister have reached breaking point, they haven’t spoken to each other in over a week and when one enters a room the other leaves it. This causes a big problem when there is a malfunction in the drive room and Holly needs their help to prevent the ship sailing straight into a huge asteroid belt.

Rimmer is unable to touch the keyboard so can’t log on to do it, he tries to enlist the Cat to help but he is impossible.
    Lister comes in and can’t remember his login credentials, Rimmer used to do that stuff. Rimmer comes back in looking for Holly and finds Lister there. He reluctantly gives Lister the login credentials and helps him to fix the malfunction. Holly then reveals it was all a ruse to get them to work together. They then abuse him together.

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Kryten's CPU becomes so clogged up with useless info that it takes him 60 seconds to respond to everything that's said to him. I think this could be quite funny in a Two Ronnies always-one-question-behind kind of way.

3. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Which series Bill?

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Uuum, XI.

5. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Well then you are in the wrong conference and have violated the spoiler policy.

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

What on earth are you talking about? Series XI has been and gone - therefore it's an existing series and I can't possibly have violated their spoiler policy, can I?

7. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

Well, for me it would be a series 1 episode, maybe 2nd. It would involve the crew searching/excavating one of the Cat cities. We know they left multiple cities (from the novel Red Dwarf) and I've always wanted a little "more" concerning them.

8. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

The name of this conference is Red Dwarf (Series I-X) with the sub heading "Talk about the previous series, from 1988 to 2012!"

And to quote the spoiler policy.
    Therefore clearly any reference to Series XI is against the rules. I don't make em Billy boy, I merely comply.

9. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Sounds like a good one BoD. 8)

10. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I, too, would like to see the cat mythos explored, with a ruined city on one of the floors. I think that could be done quite easily in the current Dave era.

If we're going for season-specific additions, I suggest the following for series two, before BTL.

One Good Turn

The crew are going into stasis so they can make their 4,000 year u-turn. During the initial planning, it transpires that they only have enough "stasis" for a hundred thousand more years, since Lister almost knackered the stasis rod through over-use on the outbound journey.

After the others are safely in pods, Rimmer asks Holly to turn him off. However, Holly malfunctions and goes offline before he can. Lister and Cat emerge to find that, after 4,000 years alone, Rimmer has ascended to a higher plane of consciousness (and actually passed the astronavigation exam, after 807 attempts).

At first, they're delighted with the new Rimmer. Then it starts to go sour, and they have to work out how to reset him to his prior condition...

This episode exists to hand-wave possible plot holes that bother some members of the forum - including the question of why they didn't go back in stasis for the return journey (while leaving plenty of stasis for emergencies) :-)

11. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Okay.

12. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck with that

13. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Series IV: Missing

We join the episode with a voice-over of Lister in front of a shot of Red Dwarf in space, calling for Cat.

Cat is missing, the episode starts with the three of them in the cargo decks, traipsing round a Cat City looking for him. Holly has run scans internally and externally but there is no sign of him.

There are missing posters all over Red Dwarf and Lister insists on flying out in Starbug every few hours despite Kryten's pleas for him to get some sleep.

Rimmer is convinced he'll be back soon so isn't too worried, 'you know what Cat's are like' he says.

The episode ends with Lister landing back on Red Dwarf in Starbug and sitting in the cockpit with his head in his hands, he let's out a deep sigh, 'oh Cat' he says

'What?' We pan out to see Cat sat in the adjacent seat, with his feet up reading a magazine and eating some chicken.

Episode ends.

14. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Series X - Bexley

The crew are surprised when they get an SOS call from an imperilled Starbug. It turns out to be Bexley - Lister's son from the parallel universe.

He comes aboard. When key equipment starts malfunctioning - and the navicomp is in danger of overheating - Lister and Rimmer recall Future Echoes.

Lister refuses to accept his son's destiny. Ignoring Rimmer's protests, he bravely goes to fix the navicomp himself - fully expecting to die. To everyone's astonishment, he survives. They throw a massive party to celebrate. Bexley (who was left in the dark throughout) is bemused by the strength of their delight. He joins the party, but - not taking after his father - eschews the dubious delights of urine recyc wine.

The next morning, all the crew are out cold with massive hangovers. The navicomp is overheating again. Bexley is the only one to stir. He declines to wake the others. "I saw me dad fix it yesterday," he reasons. "I know what to do."

When the others finally come round, Holly breaks the sad news.

15. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Series ? - Thanks For The Memory 2

In a feature-length story that evokes Thanks for the Memory, the crew have amnesia. Doing some detective work, it seems they were trying to find the source of a strange signal, in the vicinity of Draconis Beta.

Retracing their steps, they face many obstacles, and mysterious warnings to "turn back". However, they take hope from the fact that hundreds of other people have taken the same route, and left tracks for them to follow.

They slowly begin to wonder how many times they've tried this route themselves. For instance: Lister eats a bag of crisps, and throws the empty bag on the floor. Rimmer objects to him being messy and asks him to put it in the rubbish. Lister goes to the mid-section, and finds the bin overflowing with hundreds of identical crisp packets.

They begin to fear they are trapped in a loop. Eventually, it dawns on them that the "hundreds of other people" were merely their own past selves, making the same journey over and over - then losing their memory of what happened.

At last, they reach a space station. It's the most recent derelict they've ever found. A pile of dust sits in a glass capsule. The psi-scan says it's a human female from the 22nd Century. Then a recorded message plays. It's Kochanski.

She explains that the capsule is a teleport to Earth in the year 5,023. This is the most peaceful period of human history. A reduced population of eighty million humans lives in complete harmony with nature and each other.

However, after millions of years, she isn't sure if the teleport is safe. There's a chance she'll die if she tries to use it. Combined with the results of the psi-scan, they deduce that the pile of dust is none other than Kochanksi, and the teleport did indeed fail.

Lister is utterly heartbroken. He says they should leave and wipe their memories. Rimmer protests that they'll only come again - having done so (and wiped their memories) several times already.

Lister says he'll do something to stop them coming back. Mid-flow, it dawns on him that he's already tried. All the obstacles and warnings were his own work. There was no mysterious enemy blocking their path. Only him, trying to protect himself from the terrible truth. But his efforts weren't enough to break the loop.

Finally, he decides it's hopeless. The only way to end the cycle is to accept that Kochanski is gone and live with the grief, rather than trying to erase it.

Kryten inspects the teleport and gets to the bottom of what went wrong. It's depressingly trivial. The filter just needed a good clean. Also, if they take the teleport to Red Dwarf and connect the core to the drive plate, they can use the power of the ram-jet to send the whole ship through time and space.

Lister says they should do exactly that. Now Kochanski's dead, there's nothing left for him in deep space, and Earth in the year 5,023 sounds pretty good. It's time for the adventure to end.

Before they leave, he plays Kochanski's message again, and pauses on a shot of her "pinball smile". He tells her, "Thanks for the memory" - then exits with the others.

Cut to...

...a shot of Red Dwarf on Earth. It's sitting in the distance like Ayre's Rock. The top is overgrown with jungle. Birds wheel around it.

"Years later..."

We see a silent montage of interiors. Outer panels have been removed, letting light and air into the corridors.

Then we come to a much-aged Lister. He's lying in the original bunk room, with a bionic arm and can of beer.

He's lost in memories. We hear clips of dialogue from Future Echoes. He turns to the door and sees a ghostly figure - assumed to be his younger self. Then he speaks.

"I know you're there. When I was your age, I saw me at my age, telling you this."

He pauses thoughtfully.

"I'm meant to pass on a message. And I will. But first, I'm going to tell you something different. It might be breaking the rules, but I don't care. So listen carefully."

Suddenly, we flash back to Kochanski. He continues in voice-over.

"Several years from now, you'll be in deep space still. Someone you care about will leave you. When she does... make your way to Draconis Beta. You'll find a space station. In the station is a teleport. You have to write a message and leave it there. Make it nice and big, so no one can miss it."

As he speaks, Kochanski enters the teleportation room. Something catches her eye. There's a note, next to the controls. Lister continues to narrate.

"If there's one thing I've learned, it's this. Sometimes, the future is fixed. And sometimes it isn't. In this case - I'm hoping it isn't. So you're gonna leave that message. It doesn't have to be long. But it has to be there."

She holds it up so the camera can see it.

"All it has to say is... CLEAN THE SMEGGIN' FILTER."

There's a sudden whirlwind of images. A replacement timeline in fast-forward. A brief glimpse of a happy ending. Lister, getting to Earth. Kochanski, tanned and happy, waiting. Their eyes meet.

Credits roll for the last time.

16. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Sounds hilarious. :-D

17. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Holly wasn't in X by the way. Please try and play by the rules. :roll:

18. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Oh yeah - good point!

Right... imagine Holly isn't in the synopsis. That actually makes it better, because it doesn't raise the question of why he wouldn't intervene, or rouse the others from sleep.

:P

Yes - it would have a downbeat ending. Like Waiting for God, Thanks for the Memory, Camille, Meltdown, Holoship, Tikka to Ride, Stoke Me a Clipper, Beyond a Joke, and Back to Earth. As with any episode, there'd be plenty of gags throughout to balance the downer ending.

Bexley's death is part of the Red Dwarf canon, and the show does have a fairly strong tradition of sad endings - as well as timey-wimey stuff, escaping one's destiny, etc. - so I'd love to see this angle revisited.

19. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I like that one :-)