Adopted or Fostered?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by karnie, Jun 23, 2014.

1. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I did a search and couldn't find a thread which dealt with this, so here goes (sorry if this is an age-old question:-(

Some references have Lister as being adopted, some have him as being fostered; Which is more likely to be the case, or at least more accepted in fandom?

Also, Lister claims his dad (presumably his foster/adoptive father, Mr. Wilmot from the novels) died when Lister was six; then he says his step-dad taught him his first song on the guitar, which most likely did NOT happen before he was six... so are we to assume his mother remarried? Is there any evidence to confirm this? And if that's the case, should we assume that he also died soon afterwards, which is why Lister was eventually sent to live with his Grandmother when his mom died?

Thanks for any help :-)

2. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

He specifically mentions a mom and dad, so I'd assume he was legally adopted shortly after being abandoned as a baby. Little babies usually get adopted straight way so it's probably the more likely scenario.

I never picked up on the bit where Lister mentions a stepdad. I always assumed he was adopted as a baby, then his adoptive parents were killed in some sort of accident which led to him being raised by his grandmother.

I feel like I ought to take notes when I'm watching the show to try to keep track of all the plot holes and inconsistencies.

I just noticed yesterday that Lister mentions Rimmer's mother packing his casual clothes for him in season 1, but then we find out in season 2 that he actually divorced his parents as a young teenager so this makes no sense. I actually find it quite fun noticing these little inconsistencies. Sort of like a Red Dwarf scavenger hunt. It's all in good fun.

3. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Well, I don't have a specific timeline, but for the Encyclopedia I've been writing things as I come across them.. the problem is, my editor is now noticing that sometimes I say "his foster parents" and sometimes I say "he was adopted" as that's what I wrote when I came across those specific mentions, whether in the show, here on the official site, the smegazines, the roleplaying game, etc. Given that this is meant to be a scholarly reference book, I can't make assumptions and write things that are not known as fact in the entries, but I can make educated guesses in any notes to those entries. Therefore, I think I might put something like this in Lister's notes:

"NOTE: Official sources refer to Lister as both having been fostered and adopted; this can be easily rectified by saying that Lister was first fostered by the Wilmots, then adopted by them. Further, in Better than Life, Lister claims his dad (assumed to be Mr. Wilmot) died when he was six; however in Marooned, he claimed his "stepdad" taught him a song on the guitar, which must have happened well past the age of six. Again, this can easily be fixed by saying that Mrs. Wilmot remarried after Mr. Wilmot passed away. Lister going to live with his grandmother after his adoptive mother passed away is another matter; perhaps his stepfather was ill-equipped or unwilling to take care of him, or maybe he met an unfortunate demise shortly before Mrs. Wilmot."

Phew!

Of course, there's also the problem of why Lister was named after his grandmother, and not the Wilmots??

4. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Then you're going to like this book, as I pretty much point them all out.. =)

5. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

I didn't realize you were working on a book, that's fantastic! I love nit-picking, so I'm sure it'll be right up my alley. :-)

6. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I used to not mind the inconsistencies... until I started this project. Now simple things like what freaking century they're in causes me to curl up in a fetal position under my desk.