After 24 years, do we need a new theme tune?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by CharlieTeague, Jun 12, 2013.

1. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

Okay bear with me before you begin criticising me, I know you shouldn't fix it if it ain't broke!

Since 1989 Red Dwarf has carried its iconic upbeat electric guitar theme for the opening titles, the format of the opening titles and how the sound complements the feel of the show is iconic in the show's legacy; but watching the more recent empisodes and comparing them to a number of contemporary shows, don't you think it's time for a change? I just think that a simple montage of clips from the series accompanied by music which is clearly fished out from the eighties makes the newer series feel incredibly dated when it doesn't need to, now I very much understand the decision to stay true to the original feel and format of the classic series for series X, what with having an audience and having standalone and mostly talkie shows, I do think that every show should be able to update itself whiel still maintaining its core elements that allows it to retain that sense of nostalgia. I think Back to Earth was an (arguably failed) attempt at adapting the show to suit a modern audience, updating it for the 21st century if you will, while series X was undeniably a throwback to the classic series, and while most of you know I was very happy with the way it turned out, I did get the impression that they were trying too hard to bring back the flare of the show without attempting much to do anything new.

Thematically I think Red Dwarf can and should change, I'm not saying get rid of the audience, or make the episodes faster paced and more action oriented, hell no! I just think the show shouldn't be afraid to expand its horizons and do a little more to both be a cult hit and nostalgic rush and an actual fabric of today's market. If Doctor Who had remained the same all these years, we would be having 4, 5, 6 or even 10 part stories which would be incredibly slow paced, one good thing about the change is that all of the core elements and iconic nuances have remained that same, the Tardis noise, and of course the theme tune; which has repeatedly been updated to tonally complement new ideas and to showcase new technology and directions to take the show in, the Doctor Who title sequences have always changed but its still been a very faithful variation on what was already established, merely updated to suite the modern standards.

So I ask you people here today, after 24 years, does Red Dwarf need a new theme tune?

2. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Personally, I love the full electric guitar in-your-face theme. 8) 8) 8)

3. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Call me biased if you like (and you'd certainly have a good case ;-) ) but I agree with Kittypaws. Not to say that it couldn't work though, but, for me at least, it's an iconic theme and now couldn't be separated from the show.

A totally different genre of show of course, but I remember when they changed the theme tune to The Bill. They kept the main melody but changed the time signature from a quirky 7/4 to run-of-the-mill 4/4 and it lost a certain something I feel in the desire to feel more modern. It was change for change's sake and it didn't work.

4. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Oh, I would prefer the opening tunes stay the same. If they want to change the snippit preview opening great. I would rather be surprised. What about using the best scenes from all of the previous series instead?

Shamefully going way off topic here. While requests are being tossed out.... please bring back Norman.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I can't say I've ever been fond of the electric guitar version of the theme, and the opening does come across as a bit dated these days I suppose. The series 1 and 2 opening has aged much better.

In the lead up to series X, I was actually hoping that Doug would choose to bring back the opening music of series 1 and 2 but with the titles re-shot with the new model.

6. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I agree that this would be a good option too. :-)

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'd have liked a kind of amalgam of the two, like they did with the Remastered series. I.e. they start with the Series 1 and 2 theme... then go into the guitar riff. Do that panning over the new model of the ship then BA-DA-DA-DA! Of course to see the whole ship might require forgoing the montage, but that's okay. We can do the full cover of the ship at the end like they used to do, with the ending credits song which should stay the same!

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i disagree, i have no idea how it could be seen as dated

you may feel that way because its been used so much since 1989, but then again so has the end theme perhaps even more so, and i wouldn't class any of them as dated

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

keep it to the recognisable electric guitar theme, maybe do a new version of it possibly if you wanna do something new

its like changing the theme to doctor who, you can't do that after so long

10. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

BLASPHEMY

11. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Stay as they are for me.

12. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x:x:x:x:x:x

13. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Something we agree on! :-D sim, I could kiss you..! ;-)

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

[​IMG]

15. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

An almost unanimous no.
    I just thought I'd put this out there but since everyone prefers to keep the current one, as I do, then that shall be the end of it! (unless some are willing to have an intelligent and healthy debate regarding what would come of a thematic change, oh well maybe another time:-()

16. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I don't mind an intelligent and healthy debate on the issue. I've put forward my personal preferences but I wouldn't be overly upset if they did change the music/opening sequence. At the moment I don't know how they could change it and still keep the coolness of it (the music, that is).

I wouldn't mind at all if they didn't use the montage of clips from the series, as that can be a spoiler, but if it upset me that much I would simply look away until I'd seen the entire series. Having said that, I did watch RDX opening theme from the outset and didn't find anything too spoilery for my personal taste.

It's my fence and I love sitting here 8) :lol:

17. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Don't change it!!! EVER!!! :-D Maybe just modernize it LITTLE bit.
    It's the series that shouldn't be changed at all, it should keep the same charm as so far. :-D

18. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

As a side note: I'm fairly sure the intention of the closing credits theme was alwaysmeant to sound slightly "dated". It's meant to evoke both the rose tinted vision of Lister's plan juxtaposed against his real life situation with an upbeat, tropical flavour. Plus its established (quite cleverly and amusingly) from the disco scene in series 1 that pre-accident Dwarf is still a time period that's having a bit of an 1980's renaissance in terms of fashions and disco theme nights. :lol:

19. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I would prefer for the theme song to remain as it is. I see no reason to change it. Although I wouldn't be opposed to it being modernized changed/experimented with slightly. But yeah I'd prefer for the basic track to remain the same. Much like the themes to Doctor Who, Buffy, Angel and the X-Files, the RD theme feels like an important part of the show now...even if that may not be technically true from a professional standpoint or whatever.

I quite like the montage too...although perhaps part of that is because it's so familiar to me now. But I also feel it suits the show pretty well, as was the case with Men Behaving Badly. But in RD the montage kinda' set's up the space adventurey feel too.

Having said that I think I still prefer the original opening used in the first few series....but I also like the hybrid version used in the Remastered too. I too was hoping for that for series X.

I wouldn't be mortified or anything if they changed the song at this point, but I just can't think of any reason why they want too...unless to remain "contemporary"...in which case I should say; Oi! Doug! Noooooo! ;-)

Seriously though, I would hate to think it would be changed purely for reasons of trying to be modern/trendy/like the other (mostly) dull opening sequences we see today.

But yeah if they could adapt the RD theme in some kind of genuinely interesting way I'd be cool with that. But switching to an entirely new song altogether would be quite a bold and risky move at this point methinks. For me, in the context of RD the music is timeless. Drifting forever and ever through space, time and swirly things.

20. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    I want the theme tune to maybe get a tune up, but not change it. I like the tune, it's an earworm.