After 24 years, do we need a new theme tune?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by CharlieTeague, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

If it reflected the tone of the current show, as the current one did for Series 3 onwards, I'd be all in favour.

Personally I liked the original but then I am a sucker for series 2 in general.

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

If it reflected the tone of the current show it would be out of tune (badly), repetitive & lazily arranged. . .:roll:

3. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

As for the credits music - that cannot change. It's too perfect.

4. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

I quite like the theme tune, the only thing I don't like about the credits now is that they have the actors names in them. No need, really.

If it was changed to be like the Remastered series where it's a brand new slow opening with the new model then BANG into the guitar riff then I wouldn't mind that at all. It was one of the few things I liked about the remastered stuff. Apart from that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

5. simulant37

Wtf? It is a requirement of Equity that actors names are in the credits (along with other people involved in making tv shows). Why on earth is there "no need". . .:roll:

6. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

I think he means there's no need to have the actor's names in the opening credits, and I agree that its not needed as they are otherwise covered in the end credits anyway; I do think however having them in the opening titles is a recently enforced industry requirement but I'm not too sure about that.

7. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

If it's an industry requirement, why don't they appear in the opening credits for soaps? Yes, they have big casts, but they could list the main appearing characters for that episode first, but they don't. I doubt it's an industry requirement, it's just a choice by the production staff, and one I think they should rethink. Just my opinion, that's all. :-)

8. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Why are their names in the opening credits in the first place?

Did someone say "hmm, people really need to be explicitly told that these images are in fact Hollywood A-List favourites Craig Charles, Chris Barrie, Danny John Jules and Robert Llewelyn pretending to be these wacky characters; otherwise viewers might immediately hurl their remote at their TV in a fit of panicked confusion".

Those who know who these actors are....are probably Red Dwarf fans already. Those who don't know who they are, won't be in any way motivated to watch or not watch because their names appear at the beginning.

It's just a bit weird.....just....WHY?

Then again, by that same logic, why not?

Are they looking to reel in that often coveted Brittas Empire/Coronation Street/Maid Marion/that-one-episode-of-Bottom-that-Rob-was-in audience?

Who knows. All I want to see is Norman Lovett's or Hattie's name back on there with them.

9. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Credits = things that roll at the end
    Opening titles = thing at the beginning

Personally I like the lead cast's names being in the opening titles. It's basically a concession to the fact that that's how the majority of TV shows do it now - it's just the style of the time. Does anyone complain about Doctor Who having the actors' names at the start...?

10. CharlieTeague

I personally know a few people who have actually.:-D

11. simulant37

Weirdos!!! :roll:

12. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

Most I've heard in that department was "where's the face, it sucks that the face isn't there, I want the face".

Maybe the Series III version of the ending theme could make a comeback...

13. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

That's a very good idea.
    Am I right in thinking that would be like Holly's distress calls in Series I and II?

"All we have to survive on is a supply of curry, the bazookoids and our wits, intelligence and cunning. (...) We're smegged."

14. CharlieTeague

Tell me about it, actually don't!:?

15. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I'll admit, I haven't read any of the replies, and I'm just going to reply to the thread question directly.

No.

16. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

So you want to replace one of the most iconic british tv tunes there has ever been just because 24 years has past.
    24 Years and it hasn't dated in the slightest.

Tell you what why don't we just recast the whole show while we're at it.

17. Highjump

Highjump Second Technician

My opinion is that we keep the theme tune but i did enjoy in series 4 i think it was with the same ending but other people doing it like Elvis

18. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

Well i want to see just variations of the theme tune we already have:
    We have had Several Versions:
    * The Elvis Theme
    * The Hammond Organ Theme
    * The Gunmen of The Apocalypse Theme
    * The Unused Smoke me a Clipper Fairwell Theme (its on the Series 7 Dvd)
    * The Series 3 Higher Pitch end theme

19. Highjump

Highjump Second Technician

that is a good sum up, i forgot about the gunmen one, but remember the 'it's a smegging garage pod' interruption hah

20. Hesperus

Hesperus Third Technician

Personally I can perhaps hear that the theme is a little dated, but I love it anyway. It's absolutely iconic.

I do (as a piece of music) prefer Series 1-2 theme and think it reflected the loneliness and desolation of being lost in space when the rest of the crew are dead. As the series continued we got more and more characters and the universe seemed less lonely, so I think changing the music made sense.

Whether or not using Series 1-2 theme (or an 'updated' version of it) would work for the current series I'm not sure, seeing as the sense of loneliness isn't really there any more...