RDXI After watching series XI....

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

....are you more, or less optimistic about series XII?
    Personally for me I am much more optimistic, as series X left me feeling very mixed about it...I can't say I was as confident in this new series as I would have liked to be. However series XI has actually restored my faith in the show's future!

2. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

oh I'm more optimistic, I loved Series XI and for several reasons I think we can expect a series of similar quality. Can't wait.

3. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Couldn't agree more. I didn't exactly lose faith after Series X but I was definitely hoping for more when it came to XI and Doug and team certainly delivered. If Series XII is the same or better quality I'll be one happy Red Dwarf fan.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I am not all that excited about series XII mostly because i wasn't that impressed with series XI as while it was certainly an improvement over Series X it still had similar issues that i wish had not been in it at all since they still feel like struggling growing pains that are aware the show can't be as sharp and witty as the early series so it disguises it with hints of series 8 humour and multiple threaded plot ideas in each episode.

The quality for XII is bound to be exactly the same as XI because it was written around the same time so expect more of the same.

I will say this about Series XI though it was alot more fun than BTE and series X and felt a little closer to the early series in tone.

It's just comedy wise we still get moment like kryten dry humping Rimmer for a cheap laugh which is embarrassingly not fun and some broad performances where the cast feel like they are trying too hard and don't have the subtle performances they did in early days, Craig seems to be the only one whose playing it subtle now, Robert is often playing the goofy lovable robot, Danny is the dumb dibblyfied cat and Chris while he was better this series than X he still sometimes gets abit carried away compared to what he used too and a lot of that could be down to the writing and direction.

Some jokes went on to long outstayed their welcome, the cat whined a lot this series in an attempt to flesh him out, and yet all this was so easily fixable and that's what makes it a shame :-(

5. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

I'm not more optimistic about XII, seeing as...

However, maybe there's a chance Doug put the lesser episodes of the twelve he has written into RDXI. In that sense, I'm hopeful. I'm still very much looking forward to Series XII like an impatient child, though...

6. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Before viewing series XI, I was quietly optimistic about XI and XII based on the one recording I attended. XI was better than I was expecting - I thought it was possible that the cast might take a little time to click fully back into character, but clearly that wasn't the case ('Give & Take' being a series highlight for me). So now I'm definitely very optimistic for XII!

If I remember rightly from the set reports, some of the XII episodes were described as being a bit surreal and 'out there'. That's fine by me - as long as the characters feel right (and they did for the most part in XI) I'm happy to go anywhere with them.

Incidentally, a question for anyone who attended a series XI recording - did you find the broadcast episode to be better or worse than you were expecting? Just curious, as it seems that quite a lot can change in the edit.

7. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

Very optimistic after 11. The cast would have been very much in the zone with performances and assuming 12 was written after 11 it's reasonable to assume Doug would have been very much in the zone too. I've thoroughly enjoyed 11 for what is and that's Red Dwarf now and not Red Dwarf from the 90s. It cannot emulate what it once was. I can no longer be the person I was in the 90s and to expect otherwise is unreasonable and unrealistic.I'm naturally different in my 50s than I was in my 30s but that doesn't make me any less a person than I once was. I'm still watching, loving and appreciating Red Dwarf after nearly 30 years, enjoying both old and new and looking forward to what is to come.

8. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

I really liked Series XI, so I'm quite optimistic. I really didn't like X all that much, but I was hoping they could turn it around. Whilst there's still room for improvement, I think Series XI was definitely a major step up! They just need to get better at endings and cut down on drawn-out gags.

9. jimmydischarge

jimmydischarge Third Technician

After BTE and X my expectations weren't really that high for XI. But after watching it my optimism has gone up a bit for XII. I still think the whole Dave era feels like 'Red Dwarf Lite' to me, like something's missing. It almost feels like an american sitcom reunion special. That being said, I'll still be watching XII when it comes out.

10. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Pretty optimistic. Series XI was the closest thing to 'real' Red Dwarf since Series 6 ended.

Main criticisms were pacing and editing for me. The abrupt endings of a few episodes just blindside you - Red Dwarf has had many abrupt endings but XI had too many endings where they were just one or two closing lines short. Only a couple of episodes were really paced right.

The performances are still too pantomime. They all need to reign in their performances - if you watch Series 1 to 6 they don't do much in the way of silly exaggerated movements unless something has happened to them. Their default characters were not pantomimey hand-gesturing cartoon people. There are still too many scenes being acted out with waving their arms like they're playing charades. I would like them all to stop this and bring back the straight acting of Series 1-6. Deliver lines by standing still - Chris Barrie used to be so damn good at this. Tell them to do second takes with their hands in their pockets or behind their back and see how much better it is. I want that dry, sarcastic Blackaddery humour again, especially from Rimmer who used to be a master of stoic sniping. I just want to see them reacting to things that are said in ways that reflect their character, rather than constantly feeling like they're forgetting how these characters would truly behave.

The old episodes were acted for TV, in front of a live audience - whereas everything from VIII onwards has felt like it's acted for the live audience, and the viewers at home are secondary. XI was loads better, but I really want them to go a bit further and make a series that just has that TV feel all the way through again.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I do agree sometimes it feels like the cast are a little too aware of the audience now days, perhaps its just how its filmed now but the comedy acting lacks abit of subtlety still, excluding craig who played alot of this series fairly straight but danny and chris kinda pushed their performances like we are that point now where they wanna see how big of a laugh they can get and doug likely isn't holding them back because if the cast can make it funny than it will make a better series in his eyes.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

In the long run this series will depend on reflection, series 8 got good reviews and the fanclub magazine had alot of people calling it one of the best series but years later almost everyone seems to hate it now.

People were also saying lemons was one the best episodes of Red Dwarf, that one also seemed to lose steam also, even though its probably the episode of Series 10 i prefer to the others

For me reflecting back on series 11 i am pretty disappointed with the series, i am disappointed with the drawn out and forced jokes here and there, the plot issues that could so easily have been fixed and the cats whiny portrayal whenever doug tried to flesh him out which if thats how you are gonna flesh the cat out than i don't wanna see anymore of that because i found the cat pathetically annoying in both Give and Take and Can of Worms which after 10 series it just didn't seem like the cat to me, it seemed more like a parody of the cat.

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I agree that Cat did feel off and out of character at times.

14. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

"I've been promoted to Captain B*ll*cks!" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. SmegPotinski

SmegPotinski Skutter

I thought about half of the episodes were reminiscent of the previous series, specifically reminding me of series five and six. I did like more of fleshing out the Cat's character but also some jokes were drawn out a bit too long.

More than anything I thoroughly enjoy episodes that focus on the characters and less so the 'monster of the week' idea. The Officer Rimmer episode fell flat for me for varying reasons as did Krysis. When two episodes were ending I felt like, "That's it?" Three more minutes would have led to a solid conclusion.

Overall, I enjoyed this series much more than seven, eight or ten and I am somewhat optimistic for series twelve.

16. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

I guess i'd like to see a little glimmer of narrative direction in the show and a little less of the overegging characterisation(twentica in particular had me wincing rather than laughing at times). The way BTE ended gave me hope there would be some some element of 'search for kochanskis' buried amongst the shenagins the crew get caught up in and that hasn't happened in either 10 or 11 at all and therefore i'm less optimistic about future. There's some very funny moments and even clever episodes 'like give and take' but overall it feels rather aimless so i'm somewhat less invested. I'm sure it'll be watchable though based on my experience of 10 & 11.

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I really liked series XI and if it's of the same calibre, I'd be happy, I think. I would like the search for Kochanski to be an arc as well though (well I guess it kind of is, but it's not mentioned this series. It was a couple of times in X though). I'm not talking about her being a main character again (although I'm not a Kochanski hater, and I'd welcome her back in future if she was written well). I'm talking primarily about the search for her being a story arc, hopefully with some resolution in future.

I'd also like that map Hoagy stole from the simulant ship, to be referenced. That looked like it could lead them home. On the other hand, considering all the space stations and derelicts they encountered in XI, maybe they're already using it.

18. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Definitely optimistic about series XII. I thought series XI did well.

19. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

XI has fast become one of my favourite series of all time, and as such I'm feeling more optimistic about the future of RD than ever before. :-)

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm another feeling much more optimistic about season 12. Season 11 was everything I want from Red Dwarf: funny, great plots, brilliant new concepts...and most of all it actually felt like Red Dwarf to me for the first time since season 6.