RDXI After watching series XI....

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Yes, series XII should be good. Bring it on :-)

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Watching Red Dwarf XI just now i am probably one of the odd few who still feels let down by the new series, there are just so many stand out flaws which seem like careless and yet fixable mistakes it boggles my mind.

The Officer Rimmer ending was much more rushed then i remembered it to be, Doug is trying to do so much in 30 minutes and i really do not know why, some things can afford to go to have time put into other things.

I am quite saddened to be disappointed by it because i watched the show since i was like 7 or 8 so i feel like right now i am just a supportive fan by pure nostalgia at the moment because to me its like a messier shadow of what it used to be and while i can see the show still has the potential it never quite lives to its full potential.

The production values of the show are impessive for the budget, it's nice to have a darker series 5-esk look back and there are decent jokes you can tell doug really is trying with and manages to do well for the work load he had but sadly in terms of the writing i still feel it doesn't compare to early dwarf and i dunno whether thats because doug is missing the marks somewhere or its not obtainable to get back.

Thats my rant over.

3. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

I was very happy. The Dwarf and crew looks fabulous and the writing was very good. Have only watched it through once so far but I thought/think its a very good series. I have much hope for XII myself as I think XI is one of the better of the "re-makes" and think it can only get better. But you know ....... even a bad episode of RD is better than NO RD!

4. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

If anything my enjoyment of the episodes has increased even more with repeat watches and I now rate series XI as almost up there with the late 88 to 1993 heyday of the show. Series X was very solid and very good but this is simply a cut above so obviously I feel if series XII as some fans have recognised can be a bit more wacky and with more new ideas in contrast to the more vintage harking back feel of XI then I am most excited. Series XI although not quite up there with series II to VI was genuinely a really pleasurable watch and quite diverse too with all episodes calling back to the past with a smattering of new ideas too.

Although I think there is one weak episode all the others in XII got glowing set reports so although perhaps I don't quite expect a series II to VI equivalent series I really hope and feel that we can see yet another one that continues this recent form of being the strongest RD since 1993. So basically can't wait and should hopefully continue Doug's purple patch in these later years of RD though hopefully there may well be more to come if Doug can keep coming up with quality writing.:-)

5. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

From what it seemed, most of the audience enjoyment was affected by bad people in the audience for that recording, not the episode quality itself, if I understand which one you're talking about.

6. DrDebilotnik

DrDebilotnik Third Technician

I agree, this season has this "classic" feel in it! :-D

7. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I absolutely loved most of series XI, with two episodes I wasn't keen on - Twentica (too much like an average episode of Doctor Who in terms of plot) and Krysis (series 8 Kryten should be shot, and the whole Universe thing too).

But other than that, series XI is a microcosm of Red Dwarf as a whole. There's time travel adventures, off-ship Starbugging, shoot-outs in the cargo bay, ship raiding, and even original, makes-you-think plots (that one's Samsara for me).

The thing for me was... well, XI needed a moment to sit back from the comedy and do something serious. For me, some of the moments I remember most about earlier series were more melancholy (and strangely all involve Rimmer). Rimmer learning his father was dead, the bit where we learn it was Ace who was held back a year, how he left his dream life on the Enlightenment, and the "I've vome to regard you as... people I met." were moments that really elevated Red Dwarf above a lot of other shows for me.

XI had some absolutely great material, don't get me wrong, and some of the episodes are stellar. Officer Rimmer was my highlight and that, Can Of Worms and Give And Take all wouldn't be out of place in series 4, for instance. Doug needs to work out the right mix of material for an absolutely great episode - it's there, but not in the right quantity - and not be afraid to humble the characters once in a while.

Overall, XI had no right being as good as it was. X was good but not brilliant, XI was pretty damn good and a lot of it I would rate higher than ye olde vintage Dwarf episodes (I'd struggle with DNA vs Officer Rimmer, for instance). And having seen an episode of XII recorded, it seems like XII will be just as good.

8. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Some interesting posts here. Thank you all for sharing. I enjoy reading them all and shall contribute to them shortly. :P

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I can't say i am looking forward to the next series mostly because Series XI felt messy.

I can tell there is a strong ambition from Doug behind making the show but it feels like he over steps the mark in certain parts and it equals out to some messy story telling at times and some silly sketch like comedy that either goes on too long or plays way to much on a characters over stupidity (cat).

Its hard not to compare new dwarf to classic dwarf and it still feels like a shadow of what it was in terms of quality.

A good example would be comparing Back to Earth to Back to Reality which because Back to earth was basically the same idea as BTR but lack almost everything that made BTR great.

10. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I agree wit u, Kyle

11. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

This, exactly.

12. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I've only watched series XI once, and that was when it first aired. I think I may need to watch it again...

13. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Hopefully if that is indeed the episode that got a bad reception that is more reassuring to hear. I do remember there was something about a problem with some audience members. Although I thought in 11, Twentica, Samsara, Give and Take and Krysis were the absolute standouts I personally didn't think there was a weak episode in sight. Officer Rimmer and Can of Worms had decent enough stories and some absolute knockout comedy.

But saying that if there was one weak episode out of 12 in these two filmed back-to-back series then that wouldn't be seen as a massive failure by Doug as after all that is a lot of plots, dialogue, comedy, sci-fi to come up with. Tbh, I did expect one or two not as good episodes so if there is only one that exceeds my target.

But anyway from the sound of what you are saying it might be that all 12 episodes are strong. After Dear Dave in the 6-strong 2012 run then that will be another improvement!:-)

14. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

The episode I saw filmed from XII was brilliant! I'd also accept 1 failed episode from the 12 as fantastic!

15. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Failed episode?

16. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I will say that after this time my feelings on series XI remain largely unchanged, I'm still pretty happy with it even though it does have some shortcomings that hold it back from being the equal to Red Dwarfs golden age. After series X I had already come to the conclusion that Red Dwarf would never be the same, but just hoped it would evolve back into being a show I legitimately like...and Series XI did that for me. Yeah you can feel that there have been some changes to how Doug tells jokes but I feel it's hit the point where it does feel like the same show, rather then an imitation like X did much of the time.

RainbowGazelle likes this.
  17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Sadly i continue to be no more satisfied with this series then i was. its just a pale imitation of the early series that often falls short or over steps the mark a little far to the point it makes you so frustrated that it was so close in their reach to get that perfect balance!

The whole Cat history lesson in Samsara which started off funny and then Doug decided to stretch it out which IMO stopped it being funny and just made it more of a long drawn out sketch that wouldn't feel odd being out of series 8

The only episode i don't mind so much is Krysis and thats because it was the one that felt less busy with ideas, although i do think the universe thing went abit far for red dwarf trying to be cool.

I don't really feel Doug can do the busy fast paced Red dwarf Stories as well as he did when he was writing with Rob as they just feel messy and i really enjoyed the more fast paced busy Rob/Doug stories.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  18. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

I sat up in surprise then, because I thought I'd missed some stuff about the whole Cat mythos (the arks, etc.) - but then I realised you meant the "knighthood" scene. It wasn't a favourite of mine.

"Messy" is a good word. I enjoyed RDXI, but it did feel a bit "messy".

19. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

As with RDX, RDXI seems to be going down in my opinion of it. I mean, Twentica and Can of Worms were already absolutely terrible episodes, but I seem to be finding myself picking holes and things I don't like all over the series now, even in the good 4 episodes.

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Twentica sums up everything I love about Red Dwarf: an imaginative and ambitious plot, funny lines, great character-based jokes, and a good guest cast. And it looked great too. 'Absolutely terrible' it wasn't.

Mardroid and Zombie Smurf like this.