RDXI After watching series XI....

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 30, 2016.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Some of the jokes hurt twentica for me but visually the episode looks great.

2. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

I like Twentica and Can of Worms. There are sure points where Can of Worms falls apart a little but over all I enjoy it. I would still say the only episode I am not fused on from XI is Samsara.

3. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

They're certainly towards the bottom of my ranking, but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as, say, Pete.

I have to say, I think Red Dwarf is eminently hole-pickable (see, for instance, the "Explain That" thread!).

I tend to spare the older shows because I grew up with them, and familiarity gives them the ring of truth. I'm less likely to simply accept new material. But I don't think the "holes" in XI are worse than the ones in Backwards or DNA?

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I think the holes in XI are harder to forgive because they feel more careless IMO.

Its like the whole mind tuck thing in Can of Worms is so pointless when you really think about it. i mean maybe it had a good reason to be there that i ain't seeing but it just feels like another idea thrown in just to be another cool idea which takes up screen time along side with cat meets cat lady, the cat gets pregnant and Polymorph 3.

I also have the same issues with Officer Rimmer where Doug tried to do so much in half hour where you had Rimmer gloating about being an officer for a certain amount of it and then the Officer club for another part of it and then the Rimmer monster for the rest... now did that all need to be there? because id happily have gone without the tv package scene personally to give screen time to something else...

And maybe you could say DNA was fairly jam packed also to a certain degree but it certainly feels more tighter then XI even if that ending was cut fairly short with kryten still being human by the end.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  5. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

I couldn't like it. Yes, the imagination was there, but the "jokes" were terrible. Everything was so long and dragged out in an attempt to be funny, and it just wasn't. The only line I laughed at was Kryten's cement-mixer line.

6. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Twentica is an excellent episode IMHO, obviously visually great, very funny and with an adventurous, exciting plot and has a real feeling of the vintage early 90s Dwarfs. It may not be absolutely perfect but it is certainly in the 9 out of 10 bracket. It's in my top 3 of the series 11 run and might be my 2nd favourite.

Can of Worms on the other hand is my least preferred episode because I feel it only just about holds together as the personality tuck machine has no purpose and it is a tad confusing because of this. But like I said overall there is some sensational comedy and if you interpret the tuck machine as a misdirect it is still a significant improvement of series 10's weak link Dear Dave. But still it should have been more streamlined in terms of its plot and better still.

7. ramyakrishnan

ramyakrishnan Skutter

I agree and i also like it.

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It's strange. After this series was over and despite buying it on the flawed BBC worldwide website that never properly let me download it, I never really felt the compulsion to rewatch it. I've ended up doing so now via illicit stream since the BBC site won't let me from this part of the world without a VPN.

Twentica hasn't aged that well in my eyes. It's inoffensive but the jokes don't really hold up to repeated viewing and it just sort of exists. It's not bad, it's pretty good. I just find it ordinary. Samsara I didn't really like that much originally and I still feel it's an average episode although i don't feel it's objectively bad anymore I still feel that without the warm embrace of nostalgia it might be.

I remain firm in my view though that Give and Take is 100% classic Red Dwarf that would fit easily into any the III to VI golden years.

I'm going to watch the latter 3 next, probably for the first time since the airing.

9. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Nice to see you on the new forum, Bedford.

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I didn't even realise this was a new forum. I've just now noticed the extra wooshy bits!