Aging cast

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by seann33uk, Mar 5, 2009.

1. seann33uk

seann33uk Skutter

With Lister and Rimmer (rimmer being the worst off) Looking like they've seen better days, kirten having a bit more weight, i begin to wonder how much will it be like the old show.

Not only that but how do explain Why a hologram appears to of aged a good 10-20 years !!??! (does hard light have a few defects including aging?)

As we count down to April 10th (woo:-D only 36days to go:!:-) I find looking at the screen shots of the new episodes kind of sadening, will the crew be like they used to?:?

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

If you look through the previous series you'll see Robert Llewellyn has already put on weight (although he was never really fat.) Seriously compare how Kryten looks in series 3-4 to 7-8. In short, it's not an issue that hasn't been dealt with before.

On Rimmerworld it didn't, and he had hardlight then. On the other hand, Rimmerworld also introduced us to the idea of Hologram stress disorders, and the idea that Holograms can indeed die. If such things can creep into the Holographic software, I imagine aging could as well. Future Rimmer did recognizably age in the last episode of series 6 after all. They even remarked on it.

We'll just have to see if it is explained at all. But it CAN happen. It has before.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

There's some thinning and greying of the hair and a few more wrinkles than ten years ago, but I don't think a slightly older-looking cast is anything to worry about. When they start needing Zimmer frames to get around the ship that's when I'll worry.

4. geekrock82

geekrock82 Second Technician

5. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

6. Cpt_Darling

Cpt_Darling First Technician

Having seen the pictures now, I'm surprised that there's any real issue regarding age.

I think there were concerns that the cast had aged with such a gap but these concerns are surely now a thing of the past, the cast look pretty good to me (wish I had aged so well)..

Short of cosmetic surgery there's not a lot anyone could have done.

The only alternative would have been a another cast or simply no more Dwarf, something I wouldn't want to contemplate.

7. admuz

admuz Second Technician

In the first few pictures when Chris had grey hair it was noticable but they seem to have dyed it since then and they all look great in the newer releases. Not that it was a problem anyway, so what if they're a bit older? It's still them isn't it!!

8. Aimi

Aimi Catering Officer

I think its good their appearence hasn't aged more than it has, being 10 years, they still look good. I'm just happy we can keep the original cast, they could always have employed a new set of actors to play the characters, but no one would have liked that.

9. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

I think as long as the script and acting is good there's really no problem here. It's unrealistic to expect people not to age over 10 years - do you all look the same as you did 10 years ago? A few wrinkles and grey hairs will not be spoiling my enjoyment of the show :-)

10. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

It could be that a normal Hologram would age to make them feel more human and fit in better but in special cases like 'Rimmerworld' this process can be halted.

11. Snipofsmeg

Snipofsmeg First Technician

Or even reversed and we can have a baby rimmer?

12. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

I just keep imagining the munchkin Rimmers from Blue in baby clothes... disturbing!

13. Snipofsmeg

Snipofsmeg First Technician

All you need to add to that thought is (Giving birth to munchkin rimmers in baby clothes)

14. kezzzs

kezzzs Third Technician

Am I being dumb or is there a possibility that Rimmer has aged due to the fact he was still alive at the end of series 8? He could die at the beginning of the specials (10 years later) which would explain the aging.

15. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I don't think that's dumb at all.

But also, I don't think we have conclusive proof about the ageing of holograms. Rimmer definitely, and noticeably, ages over the years between series one and series seven. He does. The one episode that decries this is Rimmerworld, where he's locked up, unchanged, for 557 years. But the very next week we see the future Rimmer as old and fat. If anything, more evidence points to holograms 'artificially ageing' - maybe to make them feel more human. It also explains why they learn and change, as per Me2, rather than retain a personality fixed at point of recording.

16. kezzzs

kezzzs Third Technician

Reserved about it all :-D
    I like it :-)

17. MooMooYew

MooMooYew Third Technician

Kerry that is a really good idea, i'm really hoping the series 8 to specials period gets cleared up nicely and not just a quick 1 minute "last time on red dwarf...." "and that's how it happened" moment.
    Bluey is that the Horsehead Nebula in your avatar? I always thought it looked kind of like a serial killer ready to pounce (the arms raised and everything..). it almost has claws :shock:

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, it is. I actually prefer this photo:

[​IMG]

It's the most beautiful non-terrestrial thing I've ever seen, but I felt that the colours in the one I'm using make it work better as an avatar.

19. Cpt_Darling

Cpt_Darling First Technician

[​IMG][/img]

This being the most beautiful 'terestrial' picture that Bluebells seen..

;-)

20. Cappsy

Cappsy Second Technician Fan Club Team

Why *do* they call it the Horsehead Nebula, anyway?