Aging cast

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by seann33uk, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Hehe, you've earned a laughing smiley for that, Capt. :lol:

By the way, that sheep has a kangaroo's head.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You can observe the 'horse's head' better in this photo.

[​IMG]

3. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Because it really likes instant custard.

4. Snipofsmeg

Snipofsmeg First Technician

Its a conspiracy they are hiding proof of aliens behind those black squares.

Black squares are evil:evil:

5. Aimi

Aimi Catering Officer

Your avatar looks more like a horses head, in this picture, i think it looks more like Death without a head

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

This picture looks just like a seahorse or a chess knight to me.

7. ch

ch Catering Officer

Or a dinosaur.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yeah, it's the return of Pete.

[​IMG]

9. admuz

admuz Second Technician

Do you know what happens when a dinosaur eats cow vindaloo, two and a half tons of mint-choc ice cream, followed by four hundred crates of orange ice-pops, swills it all down with two thousand gallons of a popular fizzy drink, burps, gets a diarrhea attack, is sedated, gets turned back into a sparrow and then becomes a dinosaur again to star in Pete Part 3? Do ya know?

10. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

Appologies for posting back on topic...

I don't see why RD can't simply pull a Dr. Who. I mean, nanites have re-built Lister before, and Rimmer has appeared as smegging Kochanski in season one. And it worked for Dr. Who... so why not?

The worst thing they can do is to try to keep RD going with new characters. I can't see it working without a Rimmer and Lister. It's better to just write an episode title "the beggining" and have Lister jump-start the big-bang or something like that then try to actually replace the actual characters.

However, I was daydreaming about someday finding a couple RD fans with no jobs here in the USA and putting together some stupid little fan-fiction play -- the sort we used to do with Star Wars in the sci-fi club -- I was stumped by the idea that I would really want to play Rimmer (or even Lister or even the Cat) but never Kochanski.
    Then I realized one line of dialogue would be all it takes to accomplish that... "Rimmah! Is that you?" "Holly's having a bit of a laugh at my expense. Aparently he doesn't like being called a bald-headed git".

But my actual point is that they did a great job in Body-swap and in the Parellel Universe one, and hey, it worked for Dr. Who... so when the time comes... why not?
    Lots of things can work.

Ok, i dont' think they should turn Rimmer into Trixie LaBouche for more than one expisode, although I DO think there should be a female incarnation of Dr. Who.

But I'm talking FAR far future of course. The current cast looks fine to me. I didn't even think aging was a problem because I just ignored it.

There was the whole bit where Data was aging in Star Trek NG. I complained to a geek about Data's double-chin and he said "that's because Geordie keeps adding microchips."

11. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Sorry... I'm having real trouble understanding what point you're trying to make there.

It is gone 4am though, so perhaps it's just me.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Having read through Corwyn's post twice, I think the point she's trying to make is that to keep RD going for a long time the main cast should be replaced with younger actors sometime in the future.

13. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Yeah that's the gist I got, but Red Dwarf isn't Doctor Who. The characters don't regenerate, we're talking a whole different show with different rules here. Once the guys get too old or decide they don't want to do it any more then the show will be over and I think that's for the best. I wouldn't want to see Red Dwarf without all or most of the main cast and definitely not without Doug. The show is centred around Lister anyway, without him there really is no show IMO.

I like the enthusiasm that Red Dwarf could run for that long but I don't think it would be a good idea in this case.

14. admuz

admuz Second Technician

Yeah...not something I'd want to see.

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Ditching the main cast in favour of younger actors is about the only thing that could completely kill all my interest in the show.

16. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

can someone please tell me if Holly will be in the specials?

17. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

According to SFX magazine Holly is offline due to water damage caused by Lister leaving a tap running.

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

RedMidget, will you reduce the size of your avatar picture? It takes up half the page.

[EDIT] Never mind. I see you've already reduced it.

19. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

:eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops:

Lol, I appolgize for making so little sense and for my idea. LOL. But i have a good excuse for it: I was born with the wrong... country.

In my defense, I didn't mean "replacing" anyone. I meant if people insisted on retiring -- despite being offered large sums of money not to -- that Kryten's nanites have already regenerated Lister's arm, the enitre crew of the RD, and the entire ship as well.

But there's better ideas about keeping RD alive out there in other threads proposed by other people :-)

So I take it all back. Please know I only suggested this because I love RD so much I never want to see it end!

That, and I'm a bloody American.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

We love Americans.

Nice with a bit of mint sauce.

;-)