Aging cast

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by seann33uk, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

And a nice Chianti fifififi.

2. RichiesRS

RichiesRS Skutter

Hi Guys/Girls, Im new here but absolutely CANT WAIT for the specials, one can only hope it means more and more to come!!

:P

3. geekrock82

geekrock82 Second Technician

"I didn't even get to ask my killer question!"
    "Which was?"
    "Why the hell is he called Silent Bob anyway?"

4. Cappsy

Cappsy Second Technician Fan Club Team

And the prize for spotting I was joking goes to Seb!

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

What a shame this was Sean's only post. A real loss to this forum methinks. . .

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

And it only took 3 years and 7 months for that answer to arrive.

7. Skemekos

Skemekos Third Technician

Maybe Holograms are designed to age with the crew?

8. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

All things considered though I think the cast hold up remarkably well given the passage of time. I never could understand why so many people are bothered I mean people age and given other comedians from the 80's and around the same age look far worse......just look at Rik Mayall.

9. jordanshl

jordanshl Skutter

A lot of comments in this thread are ridiculous and bordering on lunacy.

"How could Rimmer have aged?" - is it something to do with hologramattic decay or maybe there was an error in his light bee.

For everyone's sake, he is an actor, Christopher Barrie is a human being who, surprisingly, ages!

Would you rather have an older Chris Barrie helping to restore Red Dwarf to our screens or would you want Dave to re-cast the show with younger lookalikes?

I can't see how people can have problems with the fact that they are older, just be glad we have season X

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Agree. That's one of the problems with fans liking to analyse the show to death. They really have picked the wrong show to do it with. You'd have to be a masochist to be anal and a Red Dwarf fan! :lol:

If some of our fanbase ever took their literal interpretation to the theatre they'd produce a masters thesis on things that didn't make sense. :-)

11. Kipperbein

Kipperbein Second Technician

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Some of the posts on this thread are really quite amusing, especially those that actually try to debate the reality/non-reality of an 'aging' hologram :roll:

Oh dearie me! :lol:

Don't you just love science fiction comedy ;-)

12. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

I can empathise with the aging cast as an aging fan. I was born a few months after Craig Charles and have watched since first broadcast. Its a sober reminder that I was 23 when it first started and I'lll be 48 next month.

13. TouchT1701

TouchT1701 Third Technician

I think for some, perhaps, myself, it was a matter of acclimation to their "current" appearances. Some retorted that they looked worse in BTE, which I didn't recall having an issue with. Then I watched the Smeg Up vids on youtube the other day, and starting with Season One; bam! Rimmer looks like a barely out of his teens young man! LOL!
    It was never a big deal; just an adjustment. Lately, I've seen people that I haven't seen in 10 years(or more!), and it was weird at first, but now my files are updated. ;-)

14. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I thought that the age of the cast was no big deal and I don`t think it ever has been. The only time it could have been a problem was when they were trying to get funding for the movie. For TV it isn`t an issue.

15. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

I'm reminded of when I saw Don Warrington in Holoship. It was a shock that he was so old as I still thought of him in my mind as the young lodger in Rising Damp. Most Red Dwarf episodes date back to the 90s and whilst they were getting older they still looked young and that's how I suppose is how we relate to them. The contrast was quite stark with Craig in the series 4 episode that followed.

As the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy says "age is an illusion caused by the passage of time and time is an illusion caused by the passage of history". Its remarkably unremarkable that they look older because they are actually older. It doesn't actually matter. I don't care about their appearance, just so delighted that they're back and back in style:-D

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

This has always seemed the most logical explanation to me. A hologram's appearance can be changed pretty much at whim and as Rimmer was brought back to help keep Lister sane it makes sense that he would age alongside him, the same way he's programmed to need to sleep and to be able to react to simulated food and drink.

I don't get why people feel the need to go for outlandish explanations about glitches in the light bee or a corruption in his program.

17. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

actually it says that:

"history is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and that time is an illusion caused by the passage of history."

That's the joke, see. :lol:

18. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

That's what happens when you get old - you almost remember things correctly or forget them :-D I was 14 when HHGttG first broadcast on TV.

19. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Maybe a work around of 'Rimmerworld' is that Rimmer's projection unit (which broadcasts a signal to his light bee) is still on Starbug and thus is immune to the time dilation effects of the wormhole he traveled through.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Hmm. That's a pretty good explanation.

I'd think his actions would be out of synch, too, but I guess it depends on how much of his program is run by the holo-room computer and how much is taken care of locally by the light bee.