Aging cast

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by seann33uk, Mar 5, 2009.

1. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

This works but then rimmer was around alone for 3m years while lister was in stasis

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

That's never actually said (or even really implied) in the TV series. We know Holly brought Rimmer back to help keep Lister sane. Lister was in stasis for 3,000,000 years and while in stasis there was no reason to have a hologram around at all. It would make sense if having at some point decided to turn McIntyre off, presumably to save energy and run time (not to mention McIntyre's sanity, I can't imagine it'd do your mental health any favours spending the centuries alone with only the corpses of your dead former crew mates for company as they rot then eventually crumble to dust), Holly only decided to resurrect Rimmer as a hologram at around the same time that Lister was released from stasis. Especially considering at the start of Series I Rimmer is clearly trying to adjust to existence as a hologram, seems a bit odd for a guy who's had 3,000,000 years to get used to the idea.

It would make more sense than Holly switching McIntyre off and resurrecting Rimmer, a lowly 3rd Tech, straight away rather than anyone else and then leaving him rattling around an empty ship for millions of years.

3. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

When was Holly first aware of the existence of cats? When Cat oooooh eeee'd out of the vent?

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Not to mention that in the first Red Dwarf novel Lister is alone for several weeks after coming out of stasis and it is only after he has gone slightly mad through abusing alcohol and loneliness that Holly takes the decision to resurrect Rimmer.

As for the corpses rotting; that's gruesome but I'd always assumed that the piles of ash indicate that the crew were pretty much vaporised.

5. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I wonder if, after turning McIntyre off (because, as you say, he'd still be around during and after the radiation leak, having watched everyone die) Holly booted up Hollister's hologram to get orders. Just a random bit of speculation. Or maybe it required a human order to boot up a hologram, but over the millennia Holly broke his programming so he could do it.

In any case, I'm unsure the crew were immediately vaporised from what we saw in Me² - the blast hits and Rimmer still has time to speak. He may turn to ash in the few minutes, hours or days afterwards but the blast didn't hit and they all turned to dust immediately. But it did happen - they were, as you say, vaporised.

Also, wonder why Holly didn't get the Skutters to clean up the ashes and instead left them as a grim reminder for Lister...

6. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

I always wondered this too.

7. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Maybe Holly reckoned Lister wouldn't believe him unless he saw the crew's remains for himself.

8. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

As this is a thread of questions:-

How come it is proved to the Justice computer that Rimmer did not cause the death of the crew when in Me2 we actually see Captain Hollister bollocking Rimmer for not sealing the drive plate properly which then causes the death of the crew?

and the reason I came into this thread.....given that we've already seen a story that Shows Dave come out of cryo after a long period of time (when he had those really long toe and fingernails) why didn't Doug simply write a scene at the front of series X episode one that explains why the entire crew look much older this time around and thus avoid the whole "crew looks older nowdays" discussion?

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

He basically gets off on the grounds of diminished responsibility (i.e. such an important task should never have been given to him in the first place) and/or Kryten presents such a convincing portrait of Rimmer as a borderline imbecile that the Justice computer is tricked into thinking that Rimmer has simply "assumed" responsibility ("his ship, ergo his fault) when actually no sane person would ever have given him such a vital duty.

Probably because he already wrote "Nine years later" at the start of Back to Earth to explain that. Plus, does it really need explaining? Surely viewers who themselves have aged since the last series can understand the same.

The ironic thing for me is that I think Rimmer looks younger without his hair plugs than with them. In Red Dwarf X he's often beginning to resemble his 'Rimmer Experience' alter-ego.

10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

As Bedfordfalls says, Rimmer never should have been given that task in the first place - which is precisely what Kryten argued. The Justice computer picks up on Rimmer's guilt and decides it is a heinous crime, but to be honest, you don't give the task of ensuring a vital radiation seal is in place (which can wipe out an entire crew of 1,000+ people, depending on which count you believe) to someone who cleans out chicken soup nozzles. It would be like the Prime Minister putting a 10-year-old in charge whilst he's on holiday, then sending the 10-year-old to prison for not doing a good job. Hollister, basically, is the one to blame (unless the drive plate had suddenly become part of Rimmer's regular duties and was expected of someone in his position). As Rimmer says in Entanglement, it was more the system to blame than the man.

As for avoiding the whole "crew looks older nowadays" discussion - well, they are older. I think it's good that there's been a few years and we get the feeling that the crew really are living in deep space, and have been for years. And if you think about it, it's a good place to open in BTE as Lister mopes and misses Earth, lacking in drive and spirit.