Airfix style kits...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Roche_P_Nibblick_the_third, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Roche_P_Nibblick_the_third

Roche_P_Nibblick_the_third Third Technician

Is there any interest in the Red Dwarf ships from the series as make your own Airfix type kits? I love making models and I think that these would be fun to make, if Doctor Who can do it why not Red Dwarf? there are some many versions of the main three ships... Red Dwarf herself from each of her different appearances (Series I to V, Series VIII and Remastered, Back To Earth and Series X) of course Starbug both model and CGI form (with alternate transfers for Starbug 2) and both versions of Blue Midget.
    thats not including over ships from the series a diorama of the wreaked Nova 5 anyone?

2. trollsb

trollsb First Technician

That would be pretty damn cool.

Then when they build a new big red dwarf they can use lots of red dwarf model kits to make parts - it would be very meta...

3. Roche_P_Nibblick_the_third

Let's start a petiton!

4. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

yeah man imagine a huge scale version made from thousands of pieces, a metre or two long red dwarf,Id be up all night just to finish it. but yeah thats not a bad idea. I used to love making airfix models when i was younger.

5. Roche_P_Nibblick_the_third

Question is, how do we let GNP know thats a line of merchandise that people want?

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Problem is a massive scale Red Dwarf wouldn't be practical for many people, nevermind that such huge kits are usually pretty difficult to build - unlike a sea-ship Red Dwarf would have to built with a very solid structure in order to not collapse under its own weight as it would have to be basically self supporting (And I think a whole night for a one meter long kit with thousands of bits is being hugely optimistic btw, to do a proper job on a basic kit of a medium sized WW2 aircraft can easily take that long without painting and decals, a kit that huge allowing for bracing the structure properly and even a basic paint job could easily take a month at any realistic rate), and expensive, the storage/display space required for such a kit would be prohibitive.

But I'd love a smaller plastic kit, like a Starbug and Blue Midget kit each up to about a foot long and a Red Dwarf in a different scale but with the model about the same actual size, a set of 28mm or 54mm character sculpts.

The problem is though that even just with that I doubt it'd be financially worthwhile, or that the only way to make money on the kits would be to make them pretty pricey.

My guess is that something like Starbug about 6 inches long in resin might be doable, the problem is outside of that (Which is arguably the iconic Red Dwarf ship) interest in anything else (the Dwarf itself, Blue midget, Nova 5, the Dimension Jump ship, the Gelf Battlecruiser, etc) is probably going to wane pretty quickly.

Edit: As an aside whilst looking up other similar sized kits I found a Star Destroyer kit that was 37.5" long, that was $595 for the kit. Given how many more of them the manufacturer can sell compared to a Red Dwarf the same size. It's just not going to happen. Not on a basis that's likely to be affordable to anyone other than someone with the bank balance of a lottery winner.

Because even Dr Who is far more mainstream than Red Dwarf? Show anyone in the UK a model Tardis and they'll probably recognise it even if they've not actually seen Dr Who. I doubt you'd get as positive a reaction with a model Starbug or Red Dwarf.

7. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Telling GNP won't do anything - Email Hornby.

Aye, true but Starbug could have a few variants:
    Starbug 1/2(III)
    Starbug 1 (VII)
    Crashed Starbug (III)
    Crawler Starbug (V)
    Oceanic Starbug 4 (V)

8. Roche_P_Nibblick_the_third

I have sent an almost pleading email to Airfix (who are owned by Hornby) and I currently await a response.

9. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

I think a star bug the same size as a 1/72 plane might be nice.

Also airfix already do dr who so I don't c y they wouldn't.

10. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

What size do you mean? I've made kits of a Tigermoth and a B-52 (Among many others) in 1/72, the entire Tigermoth was dwarfed by just the tail of the Stratofortress...

As I said a few posts above yours...

Because even Dr Who is far more mainstream than Red Dwarf? Show anyone in the UK a model Tardis and they'll probably recognise it even if they've not actually seen Dr Who. I doubt you'd get as positive a reaction with a model Starbug or Red Dwarf.

I'd love to see it personally, but I doubt the sales would be enough to justify the cost and risk of producing the moulds at the moment. Still, plastic mould making is getting cheaper all the time so it's not impossible. If I had to make a prediction though, I'd expect to see a 3D Printer model before an Airfix kit.

11. Roo1980

Roo1980 Skutter

There is a lot more to it than that.

IIRC the cost of designing an airfix kit is around the £150,000-300,000 mark depending on the complexity of the model and the amount of tooling required for the sprues.

The Dr Who kits have not exactly been popular. There are still some for sale in my local toys 'r' us. Given they have David Tennant's and whoever played Martha Jones (Freema Agyman?) likenesses, it's not exactly current. Airfix have also made Shaun the sheep and Wallace and grommit kits over the last few years too that were not as popular as they thought.

So as much as I would like to see a red dwarf themed Airfix kit, the cost to make alongside the (unfortunatly) limited user base, really doubt it would happen, and if it did, I think it should have been done at the shows height, around series 5 or 6.

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't believe it's quite that much these days, the cost of producing the machined steel molds for injection molded plastic kits has really come down in the last decade to the point that quite a number of small wargames companies are producing plastic kits. It's still in the tens of thousands per sprue though from what I can gather (I'd guess you'd be probably looking at three sprues plus a clear one for the glazing for a fairly basic Starbug kit), plus you've got the designer's time and wages to consider, so it's not an insignificant outlay for the company concerned (And that's without considering royalties to GNP, packaging, transport, warehouse space, etc...). They'd have to sell a lot of kits to make their money back and I agree, it's just not likely to happen.

13. ebbajo93

ebbajo93 Skutter

Airfix is a UK manufacturer of plastic scale model kits of aircraft and other subjects. In Britain, the name Airfix is synonymous with the hobby, a plastic model of this type is often simply referred to as "an airfix kit" even if made by another manufacturer.
    Founded in 1939, Airfix was owned by Humbrol from 1986 until Humbrol's financial collapse on 31 August 2006. As of 2007, Airfix is currently owned by Hornby.

gatwick to heathrow taxi

14. arenadsouza

arenadsouza Guest

it is good style i like it.

15. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I have now actually considered getting a spare Hornby set of Starbug and the remastered Dwarf and seeing if I could chop part of Red Dwarf out (don't know how I'd manage it though) to try and get a series X Red Dwarf, and creating a diarama around Starbug (say, of it crashed or coming out of the lava planet from Gunmen).

EDIT - I mean Corgi, not Hornby. Red Dwarf is not a train.

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Was browsing elsewhere and came across this which made me think back to this old thread.

3D Printed Starbug

[​IMG]

Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination at nearly £40 for what appears to be a single solid piece miniature a little over 8cm long and the surface looks pretty grainy IMO, but I'm reminded of what I said about 2 1/2 years ago:

To be fair, not that it was a terribly difficult prediction to make all things considered.

17. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Ridiculously overpriced. Who would be stupid enough to buy it?

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't know, but if you really want a plastic miniature of Starbug as a modelling or painting project there aren't a massive amount of options out there AFAIK unless you're going to scratchbuild or sculpt your own that aren't prepainted diecast or toys. I find a lot of stuff on Shapeways tends to be quite pricey for what it is, but again there isn't a huge amount of alternatives in terms of 3D print-on-demand services.

That said, it really isn't all that massively expensive compared to prices for some limited run resin cast miniatures for example, although I'm not sure why the sculptor opted for the grainy finish plastic when a smooth finish would have been better IMO and the surface detailing isn't great either.

Admittedly I wouldn't buy one at that price, I'd probably not buy one at half that unless it was a much better sculpt and a far more detailed end product. But I mentioned it on here because it seemed relevant to this thread, even if most of those who originally posted on here are now absentees to this forum.

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Really? Its £5 a centimetre for smegs sake! :shock:

20. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

As an example, Games Workshop and their subsidiary Forgeworld sell individual plastic or resin figures around 30mm tall for around £20 each in some cases, and they're mass-produced. True they are much more detailed and Games Workshop have managed to become almost a byword for excessive pricing (although they're not the only company that price figures and miniatures around that kind of level), but even so in terms of small production run miniatures in particular I don't find it all that shocking, especially as these will be individually printed on demand. Like I said though, I wouldn't buy it at that price.

It's not a terrible piece, the overall proportions look correct and it's definitely recognisable as a Starbug, but the grainy textured finish is IMO off-putting and it's comparatively small and rather lacking in the sort of surface details such as panelling and hatchways that I'd expect from a miniature that expensive.