All time favorite moments

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SoC00L_L, Mar 26, 2012.

1. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

Season 3 - Bodyswap

When every electrical system is wired up wrong to something else. They're told not to touch anything in case they accidentally set off the auto self-destruct system.

A little later, Lister absent-mindedly whilst chatting to Cat tries to order some food from a vending machine accidentally setting off the auto-destruct countdown.

Trying in vain to stop it, which included the bodyswap of a dead female crew member with authorisation to stop the destruct system temporarily transported into Lister's body, which failed and time ran out.

Then POP! The snack dispenser delivered the snack instead of setting off the bomb :lol:

A very tense moment with a hilarious outcome. It never gets boring :-D

2. captainlisabeth

captainlisabeth First Technician

YES. This line always makes me die! :lol:

This always makes me cackle too; the way Chris Barrie says it just... oh god, I'm giggling like a loon in the middle of the office...

3. captainlisabeth

Also, I've mentioned my adoration of this before but...

In Thanks For The Memory when Rimmer takes a bite of the sandwich and, as well as the hilarity of his changing financial expressions, the following line,

"I feel like I'm having a baby!"

EVERY TIME.

4. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

Season 6: Legion.

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

:lol:

5. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Chuckling to myself in the office as well here! So many good memories...

- Red Alert bulb
    - I was only gone 2 minutes.
    - Better dead than Smeg (Go Rimmer!!)
    The list goes on and on......

I'll bring one to the table that probably won't be on people's top ten list but.....

Lister: 6 breasts!! Imagine making love to a woman with 6 breasts.
    Rimmer: Imagine making love to a woman.... (Rimmer's reaction as he says that and then how it changes - priceless)

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

To the ones that have already been mentioned I'd add Killcrazy knocking himself out charging through the hatch into the Silverberg and the new hologram getting killed in Back to Earth.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

I've always loved the opening scene of Camille where Lister tries to teach Kryten how to lie, and the scene in White Hole where the engines cut and use Kryten as a battering ram.

8. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth Third Technician

To pick an obscure one...

When the post-pod arrives in Better Than Life after three million years and Holly says, `that`s about average for a second class post`.

I think this is genius writing as Rob and Doug ackowledge the implausibility of the situation and actually make it a positive by getting a laugh.

9. captainlisabeth

Watched Terrorform last night and was reminded of one that makes me die every time - when Lister thinks that Kryten's hand/eyeball are a tarantula and the typing-frenzy between he and Cat ensues... oh god, so funny. :lol:

10. Unrumble

Unrumble Third Technician

Kryten in Quarantine, turning round with the psi-scan after muttering about "damn, cheap Martian power-packs":

Kryten: "And we are going to...live"

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

Speaking of Holly, in Parallel Universe when the Holly Hop drive is revealed. :lol: "It's just a box with 'stop' and 'start' on it!"

Or something to that effect anyway. It's been a while since I've seen that episode. :-)

12. Stirmaster

Stirmaster Third Technician

My favorite overall moment is the bar scene in The Last Day. Hilarious, vulgar and emotional.

13. blaggard

blaggard First Technician

just a few-

Confidence and Paranoia: when Cat slams his hands on the table pretending to get up and help Rimmer with the the prostrate Lister. ("And interrupt my lunch?!"). I still do that in the office.
    Queeg: "Or maybe it was the yellow cable. Yes, I think i think it was the yellow one" (exact phrasing escapes me, it's been a while)
    The Last Day: "Don't start with the Star Trek crap, it's too early in the morning" (or: "well you can all have mine - everybody else did")
    Justice: "No, I'd describe the accused as a git"
    Inquisitor: "All in all, today's been a bit of a bummer, hasn't it sir?"
    Psirens: "Someone who badly needed a pen"
    Epideme: "Left I said! What kind of navigation officer can't tell her left from her right?"
    Cassandra: "Everybody will be dead in an hour, except for Rimmer" "Yes!" "...who'll be dead in twenty minutes"

Also, Holly's "ratarsed" line in Back in the Red made me laugh, even though I'm now quite ashamed of it.

14. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I love when Lister's then asked who thinks of Rimmer most fondly, and he says, "I do!" Oddly, I don't think that gets a laugh.

15. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I'd be here all day listing all my faves, but there's a few that come into my head right away!

The "Norweb" scene Paul mentioned on the previous page is absolutely classic. It even rivals the legendary "We are talking jape of the decade... we are talking April, May, June, July, and August fool!" scene from "Queeg" as Holly's greatest gag. :-)

The opening scene in "Thanks For The Memory" where the crew is celebrating Rimmer's "deathday". And although technically it isn't really a gag, I love Holly saying "We're grooving tonight... Ahead: Groove factor 5, yeah!" hehee Also, later in the same episode, the scene where Rimmer tells Lister that he wants his real memories back... I love that scene as it's one of the rare moments where Rimmer actually shows real vulnerability, and you actually feel genuine empathy and compassion for him, when usually he's a total smeghead. xD

The scene with the cat priest in "Waiting For God" is one of my all time faves. I know it's much maligned by most fans, but I really think the core of that scene went over most people's heads. Also, everything to do with the "Quagaars" in thst episode is hilarious. "This is science, laddy!" "A stupendous moment in my own personal history... the perfectly preserved remains of a Quagaar warrior! It must have looked something like... a roast chicken..." :-)

And a few of my fave lines:

Bodyswap: Rimmer - "Last week when there was that lights failure in the engine room, your silhouette was cast onto the wall. I got the fright of my life... I thought it was Alfred Hitchcock."

Better Than Life: Lister - "Rimmer's dads died..."/ Cat - "Well, I'd prefer chicken!"

D.N.A.: Lister - "Of course, lager! The only thing that can kill a vindaloo!"

Emohawk: Rimmer - "Would it harm you to have hair like mine?"/ Cat - "I have got hair like yours... just not on my head!"

Tikka To Ride: Kryten - "That's not chicken sir..."/Cat - "Oh, what is it?"/Kryten - "It's that man we found... well, it seemed such a waste to leave him just lying there when he'd barbeque so beautifully!"

Justice: Kryten - "Who would permit this man, this joke of a man, this man who could not outwit a used tea bag, to be in a position where he might endanger the entire crew? Who? Only a yoghurt! This man is not guilty of manslaughter... He is only guilty of being Arnold J. Rimmer. That is his crime, it is also his punishment! The defence rests." (in fact, that whole scene is magnificent!)

16. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

Kryten: Are there no others who have shared moments of intimacy with him?
    Lister: Only one, but she's got a puncture.

Kryten: Occupation.
    Lister: ... uh... bum!
    Kryten: Sir, would you describe the accused as a friend?
    Cat: Take the Fifth!

Lister: Maybe I should take the Fifth.
    Rimmer: If I were you I'd take the Sixth, Seventh and Eighth too.

Rimmer: They're going to throw the book at you. Followed by the bookcase, then the entire library, brick by brick.

17. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I think 'Kryten' is my favourite episode. I would love to visit the parallel dimension where that version of Kryten carried through.

The scenes on the Nova 5 are proper laugh out loud moments. Great sarcasm from Lister, perfect indignance from Rimmer, naive Kryten.

Holoship: "They've taken Mr. Rimmer" Cat: "Quick let's get out of here before they bring him back!"

Holly's line: "Full of goodness is dog's milk. Full of vitamins, full of minerals, full of marrow bone jelly."

Holly's "We are talking Jape of The Decade" line from Queeg is up there too.

When Cat enters the room and says something like "Yeah I'm back. Feed me" casually pointing at Lister as if to say "yeah you".

Rimmer's first line as a hard-light hologram: "You better have a mighty damn fine explanation for what you've just done, Milladio" to Legion cracks me up every time - in fact I love it whenever Rimmer talks down to anyone.

"Get him out of that damn nappy and into a uniform".

Rimmer's vindictiveness to himself in Me2 is class too. "HIT THE WALL YEAH HIT THE WALL!" and the sudden "Shut up you dead git!" I just love the warped self-hatred.

Does Smeg Ups count too? There's the Better Than Life one where Rimmer signs the young cadets book and the boy says "Gosh, I'll be the envy of the academy" and Rimmer replies "you certainly will, you little git" I love that.

18. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Yeah, I love it when Rimmer acts all hard and calls someone M'laddio.

The Stab him! Stab him! gag is a little-quoted gem as well.

19. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

"She won't be much use to you now, not unless it snows and you need something to grit the path with"

20. mingle

mingle Third Technician

Lister, Kryten, the hoover and the shrinking underpants... Surely the funniest scene in any episode?