Alternative Red Dwarf USA Crew

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Pembers, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I think instead of trying to re-write the Red Dwarf crew as American, a better way would be to drop in characters the US audience knows, who have similarities with their UK counterparts.

So for me I'd replace

Lister with Jesse Pinkman: Bit of a tearaway as a youngster and not afraid to be a badass now if he needs to be but ultimately a good guy at heart. Curry night would be replaced by meth night.

"SMEG YEAH BITCH!"

Rimmer with George Costanza: Very similar traits, selfish, neurotic, cowardly, one of life's losers, but a vulnerability that makes you want to root for them. George up against GELFs and Simulants would be very funny.

"Jesse you gotta help me, I'm being held hostage by some expanoids they want the casket of chronos you gotta give it to em help me get outta here....Jesse..."

"Who is this?"

"JESSE"

Kryten with Geoffrey Butler: Smart, diligent, loyal and witty, he would fit the Kryten role perfectly.

"Best Guess the rip in space time has been caused by Master Pinkman's decision to get out of bed before 2pm"

Cat with Kelly Kapoor: Vein, self-absorbed, little time for other people, Kelly would make the perfect Cat for Red Dwarf USA.

"Oh my god I can't believe it, the last time we were attacked by GELF's I had my hair a little longer do you remember that? It was just above my shoulders and I looked SOOOO cute, do you think I should I grow it again? I mean obviously it's amazing now but could I look even better? What do you think the GELF's would say if they saw me now? Do you think they would prefer it?"

Yeah no I'm quite bored.

2. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I still think that America should do something set in the Red Dwarf universe covering a Space Corps ship instead of an alternate version of our crew.

Geoffrey Butler is the only name I recognise from what you have listed.

3. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Guess I don't watch enough TV as I recognize none of the names mentioned :redface:. I think you're on the right track there @FeeBeeBells , close but no cigar as the old saying goes. America's best contribution to the Red Dwarf universe is ..... as a consumer imho. The Dwarf and its crew are British and should forever remain so. You just have to look at our "tries" at R.D. to see the majority of us on this side of the pond just don't "get it" as far as the Crew and its dynamics are concerned.
    I'm pretty positive that any "Red Dwarf" or companion series we could/will come up with would be very nice as far as the sets and special effects are concerned actually. But, technical issues aside Red Dwarf should remain a thoroughly British enterprise.

Oh, I do know who George Costanza is/was btw.

4. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

No, don't recognise anyone either ...

5. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I watched to much Fresh Prince of Bel-Air which is why I recognised Geoffrey Butler right away.

I do know who George is now that I look him up but never think of him with his last name.

6. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Jesse Pinkman was the 'assistant' to the main character in Breaking Bad, Kelly Kapoor was in the US version of The Office.

7. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Ahhhhhhhh, that explains it then. Have not seen a single episode of Breaking Bad (but I have heard of it) and don't think I want to. I had a real problem with drugs for a long time and feel the show (without ever seeing it I know) would "glorify" Meth abuse and sweep aside or ignore or downplay the true horrors of drug addiction. ( Cocaine did me in bad)

Funny story : When Breaking Bad first started being a hit and the "Heisenberg" t-shirts started showing up on midways, BigOleDumb me thought they were celebrating Werner Heisenberg the theoretical physicist(someone I DO know about)! You know...... "nerds" coming to the fair :redface::-D!!

Likewise, have never seen an episode of the Office. Seen a few clips and .gifs and meme's from the show but an actual episode? No. Have heard it was excellent but .........

8. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Oh, then I do know him! He's fab!! :thumbup:

9. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Without getting into the whole thing and defending/pitching Breaking Bad, it does perhaps glorify being a drug 'kingpin' but not the actual usage of drugs. In fact

Pretty much every character who takes drugs and indeed those involved in the production or distribution of, endure a grizzly end. We see someone choke to death on their own vomit, several people murdered in horrific ways and numerous, numerous severe beatings.

10. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I have only seen a few episodes of The Office UK and US. Not a show that draws in my interest.

I've just never watched Breaking Bad. Its in the same catagory as Walking Dead, I plan to watch it one day but have so much more I want to watch first.